LegacyGT.com

What were the LGT's Contenders when you went car shopping?

When I was car shopping, I started off looking at a jeep because I wanted the ability to offroad. I soon found through some reasearch that the jeep was on the low end of practical for everyday driving, I needed something with better gas milage, especially with higher gas prices. So My attentions wandered and a couple weeks later I found myself trying to decide between a Spec B and a Mazdaspeed6. It was a very tough decision for me, and I'm pretty sure I made the right one, but I still have doubts. What were the LGT's contenders in your mind?

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That depends on your comparison points:

1) AWD -- not many in its price range. The first thing that comes to mind is BMW 330xi.

2) Cost -- would have to be the Mazdaspeed 6, but I just can't take it seriously

3) Performance -- can't beat it until you get to the BMW 330i (unless you want WRX STi or Dodge SRT4, but they lack the refinement)

3) Luxury -- Acura or BMW

4) Luxury Sport Sedan -- BMW 330i

5) Luxury/Performance/AWD/Cost/Reliability -- nothing even comes close!! :icon_bigg

Seriously, I don't really see a true comparable until you get to 330i and then you're looking at $10K to $15K more. And you'll take a reliability hit for your extra dough.

I was looking for mainly a sedan that had good power and looked nice. I was dead set on getting the 2.5i Legacy Limited but a deal came up on my GT that I couldn't pass up so I went with more power instead. The cars I test drove during this time period were...

Nissan Maxima

-big car, decent power but really plain on the inside and it made me feel old.

Acura TSX

-One of the best in the test drive, I really liked the way it felt and the refinement. I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on it as there are so many of them out there.

Mazda 6 V6 model

-Really liked the power in this car along with the massive amounts of room. The hatch model incoporated opening the rear window and trunk as one piece. 220hp's not too bad.

I considered Audi and VW but I never test drove them as I haven't heard many good things about those cars. Lots of maintenance issues. I stayed away from all the domestics as I really wanted an import. Considered the Infiniti G35 and BMW 3 series , lower end model.

The battle in the end was between the Mazda 6 and the 2.5i Legacy. I was leaning towards the Legacy because of the AWD, even though I would be paying more. Then I fell into the LGT deal and never looked back.

I was going to buy a GTO, but nobody came out to greet me, I was literally standing there with a checkbook in hand...so I strolled down to the subi dealership and picked up the gt. Glad I did.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

My three requirements were 200+ hp, AWD, and less then $30k. The Volvo S40 T5 AWD was pretty much the only other choice. And, at the time the dealers around here wanted $35k-ish for it. The answer was clear. That, and I've had two other Subarus before this one......

If i had been given the choice between the MS6 and LGT - i probably would have been so biased towards the MS6 that i might not have considered much else... (becuase i've already got one SIx that i like so much)...

but i'm glad that I had to buy a new car when i did-- becuase i'm very happy with the GT.- ANd not as sure i'd be as happy with the MS6.. (although i had considered trading in my 6 for a lease on the mazdaspeed.... rational thought won that battle though)

anyhow -- I shopped around and considered a Mazda6s, TSX, IS, and G35..

but none of those could match the price and performance of the LGT - which had the features i wanted without being forced into NAV or leather like the TSX or G35.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Wanted a wagon, so I looked at the Dodge Magnum Hemi- two things discouraged me: the lack of AWD and the perceived domestic reliability. Never would have considered a BMW because around me, it's a status symbol that every self absorbed cocksucker has. Benz is the same, but also out of my price range. Acura? Well, a gussied up Honda with FWD does nothing to stir my soul.

All the models considered:

A4 Avant, A3

Saab 9-3 Sport Combi

Saab 9-5 Sedan/SportCombi

Acura TSX

OutBack XT

Mazda 6 Sport Wagon

Honda Element

Cadillac CTS

Honda Ridgeline (briefly)

M-B B200 Turbo

Infinti G35x

And Bought the Leg Gt Wagon. Never Looking Back.

'01 audi s4 avant

'05 vw passat 4motion in a 5spd (never came around in time for me)

'05 dodge magnum AWD wagon in a 5spd

'05 volvo v50 wagon AWD in a 5spd

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

There was no other vehicle I was looking at. Went in thinking about aWRX wagon and luckily saw the Legacy on the lot because I couldn't have lived with the WRX. Had I been one year later though I still wouldn't be driving a Subaru because they don't think the GT wagon needs a manaul anymore.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I was looking at a few different types of cars. I was seriously looking at econo boxes, mid sized sporty sedans. Coming of a Mustang Cobra, I had to have something that could go fast, or be made to go fast pretty easily. Also at the time gas prices were up in the $3 range, so a econo box was being seriously considered.

1. Volvo s40 t5 AWD

2. Scion TC

3. MY06 Cvic Hybrid

4. Saab 9-3 Aero

5. Mazda 6

6. VW Jetta TDI & 1.8t

7. Acura TSX

Was looking for an 02 or 03 Nissan Maxima with a 6 speed but could not find one for a reasonable price in my area with the options I wanted.

Drove a friend of a friends GT with the Cobb AP on it and I loved it. Also drove a Mazda 6 with a 6 cylinder and a 5 speed. The Mazda handles much better than the GT in stock form but was lacking in acceleration. Wanted to look at a MazdaSpeed 6 but my local dealer didn't have any yet and they were $10,000 more than the GT.

Was a no brainer for me buying the GT. I just had to choose a color. :icon_bigg

I needed a wagon. Wanted manual and AWD.

1) Volvo V50. Too expensive with options. Wife strongly disliked it, probably based on size.

2) Mazda 6. No AWD. Smallish.

3) Dodge Magnum. Horrible visibility, like looking out a porthole. No manual.

4) Audi A4. Too expensive with options. Reliability issues.

5) VW Passat. Couldn't get the salesmen to look up from their lunch, phone calls or whatever. Interest was weak so they lost their one chance with initial posturing.

My choices:

1. Infiniti G35 - Too common, rode like a big pillow.

2. Volvo s60 - Too expensive and it was something my grandpa would drive.

3. Saab Aero - What was I thinking, a gutless piece of crap.

4. Nissan Maxima - Very quick, but never saw so much plastic on a "luxury sport sedan" in my life!

05 LGT - Best bang for the buck of ANY sport sedan - plus they are not very popular...yet!

2001 S4, I was really really close to getting it too, but then found out about the Legacy on Audiworld (ironic, eh?)

I wanted AWD, manual, 4 doors, and preferably turbo.

There weren't many other contenders really, the Legacy is perfect for everything I want.

I would have looked at the MPS6 if it was out, but I couldn't wait that long. My old car was dying!

My first choice was a new Stang GT, but supply and demand issues (read, price gouging) kept me from finding a deal anywhere near reasonable. After that all my other choices were four door sedans or wagons. Loved the Magnum RT, would have probably bought one but I couldn't justify over 30 grand and the lack of an available manual trans finally ended it. Mazda 6s, nice car, loved the interior room, my best friend owns one so I've driven it many times. Not as much fun to drive as the LGT and the fact that every other car on the road these days seems to be a Mazda 6 really bugged me. Acura TL and TSX. TL, same deal as the Magnum, more money than I wanted to spend but the car is undeniably a big technology bang for the buck. TSX, nice car but I didn't like not having any torque what-so-ever and having to drive it like I hated it to get anything out of the motor. In the end, the LGT was the best deal, great performance, great reliability, the AWD was a real plus compared to other cars in this class, decent room inside for my kids and stuff, and it's a little more exclusive. You don't see many on the roads compared to some of the other cars I looked at. Some guys here at work tried to turn me onto the Altima. Same deal as the Mazda, every other car on the road seems to be one, and I think the interior is hideous in that car. Nice room though, especially in the back.

Archived