LegacyGT.com

Seeking opinions on an '08 Legacy GT - no prior Subie experience

ashmostro

Hello all,

This is my first post here so please forgive me in advance if i'm asking a lot of noob questions, or things that get discussed a lot. I'm happy to refer to prior posts on the topic but I also want some fresh discussion if you don't mind.

My DD and track toy is a '13 BMW 335is DCT which isn't built for snow, nor frankly track use (despite HEAVY modifications to the suspension that I've done). The throttle is too digital for proper car control on the track but it's totally adequate on the street.

I'm looking for an all around car that is bother better for the track, and can handle winters with aplomb. Also needs to be an AT and have Navi, for my wife. Enter the Legacy GT, which I've never driven (yet). I like that it's essentially a WRX under the hood but has the features of a more comfortable DD. I also think it's good looking.

I found one that is pretty far away, has 99k on the odo, but otherwise looks really clean in pics. Carfax is clean. Price is fair at $15k.

What should I be looking for as possible repairs coming up? Assuming oil changes were done frequently, and it seems they were, will the turbo and the engine itself typically last a good deal longer before needing work? I know you can't predict the future but an average representation of reliability is what I'm seeking here.

That's it for now. I have track prep questions too but first thing's first.

Thanks in advance,

-Ash

I like my 08 LGT but they do require a lot of attention. Do you like working on your cars ?

There is plenty of help here on the forums to help with all the common stuff.

They are definitely not appliances. Turbo problems can have a couple different failure modes. Bearings, which would be really bad, but I have not heard much in the way of problems with this on 08's. Now the wastegate seizing and/or moving out of position is a different story. I bought mine with 62k on the clock and by 80k the wastegate ended up being a problem. Also, check to see if the intake gasket/o-rings were ever replaced. If not, they probably should be. You will also need the timing belt service very soon. Due at 105k. Hopefully you 90k service was completed in entirety. I've had my LGT for 2.5 years now and have put plenty of time and money into it. However, never had to pay for ANY labor thanks to this forum !

Now that I have been thru all this, mine is doing very well. I'm happy with it. It's not all that smooth and LGT's can make some weird noises, but they are amazing in the snow !!

That was the primary reason I bought mine. I wanted a nice sporty sedan that could tackle the steep hill and driveway I live on in the white stuff. My father also has one, so i was familiar with LGT's prior to buying mine. However, his has had his share of issues including the same wastegate problem.

Also, insurance on my 08 is higher than my wife's '11 Acura which is strange. Coming from a BMW though, I doubt that is a concern.

It would be a stretch to say an LGT is a WRX under the hood. The turbos are not the same. The WRX turbo is apparently a better more reliable design. Not a bad idea to replace the stocker with a WRX turbo if the original needs to go. That will require a tune however. I don't track mine, so can't help there. I would love to pick up an E36 to make a track car out of some day to take care of that issue. :-)

My 2008 GT is a 5 speed and I believe you should be more concerned about the auto tranny than the turbo. Inside the auto tranny is a filter that should be replaced every 30M along with fresh fluid. Dealers rarely do this; instead, the mechanic merely back-flushes the tranny and never touches the filter. (Thus he personally makes a little more money by beating the book time for service.) I would have an independent shop pull the tranny pan and inspect the filter. If it's full of shavings and the fluid looks suspect, don't buy. If it looks good, you won't find a better snow and ice car anywhere...

*Extremely* helpful folks, thank you!

I'm a little wary of the high-mile nature of the car, plus the distance from home. If I have a problem with her I think I might fall into the screwed category. I feel like maybe I should keep looking for a better specimen...

My 2008 GT is a 5 speed and I believe you should be more concerned about the auto tranny than the turbo. Inside the auto tranny is a filter that should be replaced every 30M along with fresh fluid. Dealers rarely do this; instead, the mechanic merely back-flushes the tranny and never touches the filter. (Thus he personally makes a little more money by beating the book time for service.) I would have an independent shop pull the tranny pan and inspect the filter. If it's full of shavings and the fluid looks suspect, don't buy. If it looks good, you won't find a better snow and ice car anywhere...

False. The filter is an external spin on filter and is not a service item unless it is damaged. Best thing to do is just dump the pan and change the fluid. I always change fluid more often than Subaru says. These cars use Subaru-HP fluid (not Dexron).

Honestly I would put money aside for at least a new turbo... I have the suspicion that the PO of my car let the oil get a little too low because I had to replace the turbo a little while after I bought the car. Since there's no way to find out if anything like that happened, you should prepare for the worst but hope for the best. At least that is my advice after spending as much as I have on my 06 in the last year and a half.

Archived