LegacyGT.com

Summer tires in the Winter?

totally depends on the amount of snow and ice you get, and how much driving you would expected to do in that weather. around here, a typical winter has 2-4 days with snow on the ground and everything just shuts down. even with summer tires an LGT drives decently in a couple inches of snow if you're careful.
On the search for a new DD...

I traveled from Indiana to Boston with Dunlop Direzza dz101s, I do not recommend it. As soon as I got back to Indiana I got a set of blizzaks. It was bad, I felt really irresponsible, also felt like I put my family in danger. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

i ran the summer tires my car came with through the winter because i couldnt afford new tires and during the first snow falls we had which wasn't even a full inch i lost traction going around a turn and slid out and my rear bumper scraped a gaurd rail. Best bet is to get winters.

I drove my 08 on stock summer tires through some mild slush and snow right when I got it. VDC kept engaging like crazy before I got to the plowed freeway. It's not like it was unmanageable, but I had to slow way down. Not really a problem since this was in a southern state, and most people around me weren't on winter tires.

Quick search suggests that the OP is from northern Ontario. My guess would be that there's plenty of snow and little plowing away from major routes. Going with snow tires is really risky business in my view.

I ordered snows off Tirerack and was having them mounted on my stockers at a local shop. I drove on my summers in slushy snow for about 10 minutes between my house and the tire place, and I damn near killed myself. The AWD was going crazy looking for traction, but like somebody above said, the rubber compound of summer tires just turns into hockey pucks in the cold.

Do not do this. It's downright dangerous.

I had Summer only tires a few years back, we got a light dusting of snow in mid Nov. I backed the car down the driveway ok, got it out on the street ok, when to drive off, the car slide towards the side of the road because of the crown in the road. I got it turned around and made it back up the driveway to almost where it was parked before. Went in the house grabbed the key to the Suburban and continued on my trip.

They say summer only for a reason.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Maybe you can't afford new tires, but I'm sure if you talk to enough people on here or search the classifieds, you can find something used. I actually have a set of blizzaks with a lot of tread left that I can't use anymore. Not sure where you are located but they are 215-55-17 if they might work for you. First $250 (plus shipping if you can't pick up) takes em.

Think of it this way... $500 for winter tires now or $500 (or whatever your insurance deductible is, assuming they don't deny a claim for driving on summer tires in the snow) for a new fender or bumper when you slide into something
It's cool; I'm with the band

I know the answer to my question may be in the name of the tires, but are all-season tires good enough to handle the occasional snow/sleet/ice/slush? I live in DC and I really don't think it's worth for me to invest in winter tires, and given that I need to replace my current ones (I think all-seasons also) I need to make a decision soon.

I lived in Colorado for 20 yrs, and now am just outside the Minneapolis area. I can't remember the last time I had snow tires on a vehicle, except my son's blazer.

I don't have super sticky summer tires, but I do have decent all season radials. But then I'm a hell of a driver, too... :)

I know the answer to my question may be in the name of the tires, but are all-season tires good enough to handle the occasional snow/sleet/ice/slush? I live in DC and I really don't think it's worth for me to invest in winter tires, and given that I need to replace my current ones (I think all-seasons also) I need to make a decision soon.

I'm with you 100% on this one. I had some michelin all-seasons on my Maxima and it made it though last winter in NY no problem. The season before I tried to skate through on summer tires and literally skated all winter.

I just had to buy 4 new tires this wknd because a bubble developed on my drivers right Kuhmo Solus'. Decided to go with Conti Extreme DWS as they seemed to be rated very good for dry, wet, and snow. $600 out the door with each mounted and balanced at discount tire with a road warranty, im very happy overall. Since I couldn't afford a set of rims and tires for winter as well, i figured an all around "ultra high performance all season" should do the trick.

Check them out on tirerack, highly recommended over other brands except maybe the pirelli nero'r or michelin pilot a/s' which are about $30+ more a tire. Some people do not like them due to what they say is a "softer" sidewall, but so far I haven't noticed any issues. I really want it to rain so I can see what all the hype is about though, because while they are very good in the dry, they aren't what some reviewers claimed.

I'm with you 100% on this one. I had some michelin all-seasons on my Maxima and it made it though last winter in NY no problem. The season before I tried to skate through on summer tires and literally skated all winter.

I just had to buy 4 new tires this wknd because a bubble developed on my drivers right Kuhmo Solus'. Decided to go with Conti Extreme DWS as they seemed to be rated very good for dry, wet, and snow. $600 out the door with each mounted and balanced at discount tire with a road warranty, im very happy overall. Since I couldn't afford a set of rims and tires for winter as well, i figured an all around "ultra high performance all season" should do the trick.

Check them out on tirerack, highly recommended over other brands except maybe the pirelli nero'r or michelin pilot a/s' which are about $30+ more a tire. Some people do not like them due to what they say is a "softer" sidewall, but so far I haven't noticed any issues. I really want it to rain so I can see what all the hype is about though, because while they are very good in the dry, they aren't what some reviewers claimed.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I think all-seasons is what I need. Where did you go to do research on tire performance? Is there one go-to site or are there many?

Consumer Reports is the only way to go. I would never cross-reference and check with multiple sources like personal accounts or detailed reviews.

I only buy things that get good reviews in CR. That's why I bought my LGT.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Thanks for the detailed reply, I think all-seasons is what I need. Where did you go to do research on tire performance? Is there one go-to site or are there many?

In the tire forum on this site. Where you live a good all season tire is all you need. I've posted here before. My 05GT is the first car I've had snow tires on in decades. I go skiing every winter weekend in VT since 1995, a 2 hour drive in good weather. My Honda civic in my avatar got us there with all season tires. I ran Michelin MXV4's back then.

My 2 previous GT's I put the MXV4's on never had issue in snow.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had summer tires on my 05 maxima [FWD] lol in NJ you get like maybe 4-7 inches sometimes i drove it to work and school with no problems it would spin a few times but if your a real driver have no fear.......

Just my imo it was fwd not even awd.

But people can disagree with me i had no troubles all that matters

also if u want more traction when it snows lower your tire pressure i did this way way back lowered it to 15 psi but only when there is 3" or + snow on ground fresh not cleaned roads raise presssure asap when roads are clear

Archived