LegacyGT.com

Coolant Question

I just started hearing a gurgling sound in the dash on my '05 LGT. Thinking I got air in the line somehow I tried to burp it last night, after which it was fine. This morning however I heard it again - and it was worse than before. Strange thing is that the radiator cap is cool to the touch after the car is ran for ~15 minutes (driving), but the top of the radiator itself is quite warm. The cap on the reservoir located next to the engine (passenger side) is also pretty warm. The heat works fine, the temp gauge reads fine, and the overflow tank is spot on at Full when the engine is warmed up. I did see small black particles bubbling up into the reservoir - but very minimal - not sure what this is.

I haven't done anything to the coolant system in over a year and it's been fine up until now.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Could it be you have a clogged drain line? In my old car I heard a slushing sound before and it turned out to be a drain line was clogged. On that car there was a rubber drain hose that was backed up and the water started pouring in the vents and soaked the carpet and destroyed the stereo. With all the rain we've been having here and the leaves and nuts falling, it's possible that could have become clogged.

Mark34:

First thing - Yankees will ruin the Phills in 5 games ;)

Secondly - I don't have any water coming in the vents and I regularly keep the leaves off - but i'll check into it.

AShoe:

Yes I've have pulled it off when cold - how do I tell if there's a clog? The coolant level is visible - right below the neck of the rad (same with the reservoir). The overflow tank is at the correct level.

Just checked the drains for the water and all is good. Poured a couple glasses of h2o down on the windshield and it drained fine on both sides. Besides, when I rev the engine you hear it gurgling more. Ruled that out - but definitely something to keep in mind in the future.

Yea I guess that is a fantasy prediction huh - good point. Yankees in 4 (crazy to imagine the Phills would win one..)

I also checked the overflow tank when the car was cold - it was at the same level as when the car is completely warmed up. Isn't this supposed to drop as the car cools?

The guy I work with said he had a gurgle issue when he had a head gasket that was going.

And don't forget the Phillies took 2 of 3 from the Yanks in regular season and should have swept them if Lidge hadn't blown the save.

• 3 weeks later...

Strange - the dealer added coolant and burped it (X2)...now it's good to go. i guess it was just a bit low, and when it got cold out the levels dropped and it took in air? They did every conceivable test and it passed without issues. Pressure tested it, checked for exhaust in the coolant and vice-versa - no problems. Rules out HG issue.

It was nice to actually drive it for a couple days. Handles much better then my pickup! It's a shame my wife wants to sell it for the new OB. Car only has ~41k on it...it's practically brand new.

Advice for others that may be reading this thread. Set the climate control to as hot as it can go, with the fans on the LOWEST setting. This will circulate coolant through the HVAC. Who knows, maybe it was the HVAC that wasn't burped right in your case. I know that's what my problem was when I flushed the coolant myself.

Archived