LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Replacement 2.5T

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something doesn't look right to me... how did you manage that?

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag28/tomsanity/Subaru%20Legacy%20GT%20timing%20belt%20replacement%20project/2012-12-26234258_zps62d8d649.jpg

I was watching the Meaty video and he mentions that he doesn't like the Gates t-belt. Is that a common opinion? If so, what's everybody using as a good replacement belt?

Would you trust someone called "Meaty" over actual engineers when it comes to a timing belt?

• 2 weeks later...
Would you trust someone called "Meaty" over actual engineers when it comes to a timing belt?

Yeah, I did lol why not? This guy put out the best instructional step-by-step repair video that I've ever seen. How many videos have "actual engineers" put out to help us out?

Did my timing belt & other thing over the course of the week.

This is my 2nd TB change. The 1st at 110k, TB & tensioner only. The 2nd I change everything with a Gates Complete TB Kit & Water pump.

With almost 220k on water pump & idlers. The water pump was still in fine condition. No signs of leak, shaft play & spins smooth & quiet. But did replace it with the new one in the kit. The idlers was still in one piece & rolling good, but noisy. Play in the idlers, range from none to least then 1\16". All was replaced. Did notice that the Gates Complete TB Kit uses full size small idler pulley. Didn't have to cut down or fine a shorter bolt, like in Meaty's video. They also use the same big idler pulleys for top & bottom on the PS of the block. Pics. of the differences between the OEM bottom idler pulley & Gates bottom idler pulley. The differences, mounting surface, .017 back space & .005 O.D.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/0325132234_zps0a0fb77d.jpghttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/0325132233_zps24e1a7f0.jpg

The vise grip work well for holding DS cams in place. But I would put two wood shims between the cam pulleys & then clamp the vise grip (do not need a lot of force to hold cams in place).

Do it this way,

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/0324132022_zps28eb8ddd.jpg

So you don't do this.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag28/tomsanity/Subaru%20Legacy%20GT%20timing%20belt%20replacement%20project/2012-12-26234258_zps62d8d649.jpg

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I was watching the Meaty video and he mentions that he doesn't like the Gates t-belt. Is that a common opinion? If so, what's everybody using as a good replacement belt?

Gee, I used the Gates kit, like most of us do.

I have also used the parts from Advance Auto parts for the first T belt change.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

He was referring to the Gates Kevlar BLUE racing TB belt. He showed some idlers with blue "$h!t" caked on them.

Mike.

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
so i know the washers on the tensioner bolt are important but how important are they? ive had mine in one place for the past couple weeks so i would remember to put them back on when i was installing the belt and of course when i put it on i forgot and when i went to grab them to put them on they were gone? what would happen with out them in place?

I wouldn't bolt it up without them. The tensioner just needs the ability to rotate a little. It's not like they are special washers, you can go to Lowes or HD and get a pair for like $0.25. Edited by Charged

I came across this vendor today from someone mentioning it in a post elsewhere. They have some tools that look like they would be useful for timing stuff.

I would strongly suggest against ever vice-gripping cam sprockets.

http://www.company23.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=61_60

I bought and used the cam tool. It worked fine.

The only tip I would give is when putting on the new belt I had to loosen the cam tool at the very end so that I could get that last 1mm of stretch to pull it over the final pulley.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking to buy a timing belt kit for my 05 LGT, I saw that there timing belts with 328 teeths and 281 teeths. So which is the correct one for my car?

Is this the right one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GATES-Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-Kit-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-Forester-Impreza-WRX-STi-/380618130651?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2005%7CMake%3ASubaru%7CModel%3ALegacy%7CSubmodel%3AGT&hash=item589e9bc4db&vxp=mtr

Edited by Mickeytl

I'm looking to buy a timing belt kit for my 05 LGT, I saw that there timing belts with 328 teeths and 281 teeths. So which is the correct one for my car?

Is this the right one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GATES-Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-Kit-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-Forester-Impreza-WRX-STi-/380618130651?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2005%7CMake%3ASubaru%7CModel%3ALegacy%7CSubmodel%3AGT&hash=item589e9bc4db&vxp=mtr

Can't view ebay from work.

You need the one for the DOHC engine if you have a GT. How much is it ?

My first timing belt back in 2008 I used a Dayco belt and water pump from Advanced Auto Parts. They worked fine. The Dayco drive belts are still on there.

I can say Advance Auto Parts water pump laster better then the Gates water, which I put in 20,000 miles ago that was just replaced with a OEM water pump.

Check Advance Auto Parts, they have a coupon all the time, may be cheaper and you can buy local and talk to the person your buying it from. If there's a problem you can go back to that person.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Is this the right one...

That ebay one might be for the non-turbo engines which would have a shorter timing belt since. I used this kit for my 2008 LGT about 5 months ago and recommend it simply because it worked and has been doing fine:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/gates-racing-subaru-timing-component-kit-s-with-kevlar-racing-timing-belt.html

FWIW, I had to replace my Gates water pump after 20,000 miles because the shaft seal was leaking, I went with a OEM pump.

• 2 weeks later...
FWIW, I had to replace my Gates water pump after 20,000 miles because the shaft seal was leaking, I went with a OEM pump.

aw man...now I read this. I just put a gates kit in yesterday. All went pretty well, just hope my waterpump holds up. I did use an OEM gasket though. I also used the Grimspeed pulley bolt removal tool. Worked awesome ! Pulling the radiator out was very easy. The vise grip method of locking the pulleys also worked out perfect. All the old parts looked great. Only part that seemed a bit shot was the a/c idler pulley.

Thanks to all for information posted here !! I also found the meaty youtube video to be very helpful by making it look so easy. It kind of was. I still think changing sparkplugs is much easier than the timing belt service though....

I guess it's a good thing I saved the original OEM water pump for a spare. No leaks, shaft play & spun smooth & quiet at 220k. I have only a little 7k on my Gates water pump.

Yeah, I had very little trouble with the plugs once I found out I could move the motor with a jack handle just enough to get the ratchet on and off if needed. Only needed to do that on one plug though. Threads were pretty dry/tight and couldn't turn the extension by hand.

I also will keep my OEM pump. Seems fine and looks good and clean.

Only weird thing I have going on now is I have kind of whirring/whizzing sound at idle and only at idle. Tap the gas even slightly and it goes away. Sounds like its coming from either the alternator or the a/c unit or somewhere along the top driver side of the motor. Hard to pin it down further than that. Wasn't hearing that prior to changing the belts. Played around with accessory belt tension a bit, but not sure it made any difference. I guess I'm ok with it as long as it's not coming from the timing belt area. Sounds kind of like the supercharger on my old Pontiac.

• 1 month later...