LegacyGT.com

2.5i 5MT specs vs. 2.5 GT specs?

N2L

I've been looking around, but haven't seen anything that addresses this with specifics.

What, if any, are the differences between a 5 speed 2.5i and a 5 speed 2.5 GT? Drive/gear ratios, sensors, wiring, TCU, etc.

I own a 5EAT GT wagon, and have seen a few 5MT 2.5i's come and go on Craigslist.

I ask because: what if I were to purchase a 2.5i 5MT complete, and swap the tranny and necessary components to my car (and vice versa)? Would this be a feasible solution? Would I need different diffs? For the sake of simplicity assume this is an 05-05 swap, same exact car with the exception of the turbo engine. Seems to me (if this were a straight across swap) I could just resell the 2.5i afterwards for a partial loss without spending as much as I would for the separate parts.

the 2.5i has to be a weaker trans, because you cant even use the 2.5i clutch in the GT, it wasnt made to handle 250hp like the gt trans was. AS we all know the 5 speeds arent the most reliable trans out there once you start making power.

A manual GT 5 speed can be purchased for around 1k or less if you wait.

from what i gained from my research, they are the same. the reason you cant use a GT clutch on a 2.5 is because of something to do with clutch/flywheel/input shaft spacing, or something like that.

i do know for a fact, when i swap in my 255 short block, im going to use a regular GT clutch with my stock trans.

the best part is because we have significantly less hp then a gt, they can take a hell of alot of abuse in 2.5i form. i bought mine with 180k miles, and ive put it through 30k miles of absolute hell. flat spins, clutch dumps, and flat foot shifting and its still doing great. let my ex girlfriend drive it for a week and the 4th and 5th gear syncro are shot =/

I will have a troubled 5MT from my '09 LGT available in the next couple of weeks. I have around 40k miles on the car, and started hearing noises sometime after I went to stage 3. The transmission shifts great, but there's a rattle and a whine that are making me nervous, so I'm going to a 6MT.

I've also been running a stage 2 CCI clutch and lightweight flywheel that'll be getting rid of. I don't want to hijack your thread, but in case you're interested...

Tits mcgee

Archived