LegacyGT.com

Starting When Cold...Help!!

So my 05 LGT has been really rough starting the past couple of mornings. I'm from PA, and it's just starting to dip below freezing around here lately. When I start my car, once I turn the key the motor begins to turn over, then cuts out, then will "sputter" as it begins to cuts out/cut in. Sometimes I have to try to start it all over again for it to work. When it is warm (50 degrees F+), there is no problem...it's only when it gets colder outside. It happened a few times last winter, but has since gotten worse and I had a point tonight where my car barely started. It begins to start, then seems to hit a point where it stops and just buzzes, then kicks back on again and begins to start again.

I'm just seeing if anyone knows where to start with this. I don't know if it's the starter, the solenoid, or what...admittedly pretty inexperienced in these areas. I can even take a recording of the sounds. I just want to have an idea about it before I attempt to get it fixed.

Thanks in advance!

I have a similar problem, as well. Sometimes on really cold days, the starter stays extended and you can hear a slight grind for a second or two.

I think I'm going to take my starter out and mess with it.

This is a very common problem with these cars.

remove the starter, put wheel bearing grease or a high temp grease on the shaft where the starter gear slides, reinstall starter.

easy fix.

The next common issue during cold weather is the smell of gas. It's caused by the clamps on the fuel line under #2 cylinder intake runner, I lock wired the hose on both sides of the clamp years ago and that stopped it. I think I posted pictures of it in my thread linked in my sig, "click here" below.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So my 05 LGT has been really rough starting the past couple of mornings. I'm from PA, and it's just starting to dip below freezing around here lately. When I start my car, once I turn the key the motor begins to turn over, then cuts out, then will "sputter" as it begins to cuts out/cut in. …..

From the way you describe it, it sounds like the starter motor fully engages, but the engine will not fire??? Is that correct?

Archived