LegacyGT.com

New Guy. Got a few problems!

OK guys. Just dropped by to introduce myself and realized i had some questions for everyone. I got an 05 legacy gt with 76k on it. I recently curbed it quite hard in the snow while overestimating my AWD. Who would have guessed that one haha! Anyway now the car refuses to turn right or left at a standstill or very low speeds. It makes the sounds much like those of a 4wd car stuck in low gear all the time. Im not sure if i broke something in the steering when i hit the curb HARD or what is wrong. Also my reverse lights have been getting stuck on for a while what the hell is that all about. Great forum you guys got here and thanks for any help you can offer

Steering rack ??? may be damaged, Have a shop check it out.

Hey, do the axles seem loose, grab them and try to move them around.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

check power steering fluid, you said you cant turn while stopped or slow. I am assuming that means you have been able to turn while moving. I'm not saying adding fluid will help but it will mean that your steering rack was hit and leaked all fluid out.

Thanks for the help guys. I found out what it was this morning when i went under there. A piece of some plastic wrapping or sheathing had broken off and was wedged in the steering. I didnt find it earlier because it wasn't in the wheel well, but just under the engine where i couldnt quite see.

I was drifting in the snow just messin around. I was getting good at it and figured why not go for a big swooping left hander and wham 30 mph curbed and blew a tire. I thought i could keep in line but i got past the point of no return and the back end came around hard.
Did you let off the gas while going around that turn? That'll cause an AWD car to swing out on you pretty easily.

Archived