LegacyGT.com

will a 96 5speed drop in a 93?

Yes, As long as the final drive ratio matches the rear diff ratio. Got a 03wrx 5spd in my 93 but I had to use the diff which is a 3.54. Your can use the numbers on the trans to find out the ratios

So, I am just having no luck search hear or other forums. I am sure there is a thread that would answer my questions, but i can't find it. Since I don't have either car with my at the moment I can't pull codes. I found this on Wiki though. Which seems do say it's the same tranny and that the gearing should match, as they are both 4.11. I wasn't sure if the 96 used a hydraulic clutch, but it appears it doesn't is that right? Am I I reading the info below incorrect?

"5MT[edit]

It is notable to mention that only Turbo vehicles received a hydraulic clutch until 1995. Also, in 1998 Subaru changed from a push-style clutch to a pull-style requiring minor bellhousing and fork changes.

Gear Ratios: 1st 3.785 2nd 1.945 3rd 1.500 4th 0.994 5th 0.780/(0.735 WRX) - Final 4.11 (3.90 WRX)

Usage: All 1990-2003 with EJ-Engine

MY 96 Transmission specs (and possibly other years)

Gear Ratios: 1st 3.545 2nd 2.111 3rd 1.448 4th 1.088 5th 0.825 (FWD) / 0.780 (AWD) / 0.871 (Outback AWD) --- Final 3.454 (FWD) / 3.900 (AWD) / 4.111 (Outback AWD)

Source: 1996 Subaru Legacy Service Manual"

Also matches 1999 Legacy 30th Anniversary[2][3]"

http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Subaru+Transmission+Chart

Yes yours is a cable/push type clutch. Here's a chart, but it doesn't show your first gen legacy, you should be able to pull the numbers off your car and search the TY.... number. I've never pulled the motor and trans at the same time, if I needed to pull a trans only, I would not pull the motor.. much more work than nessesary. Getting a haynes repair manual will be useful. Theres a trick to pulling the pin on the clutch fork, and it must be out to get the trans out. The trans is only about 150lbs and can be done with the car high up on jacks(high enough to clear the height of the bellhousing) and a floor jack. An extra hand helps a lot though. I use 2x4's cut into short pieces to get the height I need with the 4 car jacks, and also with the floor jack to support the trans while someone else helps balance it. Not for the faint of heart though, must be able to manhandle that 5speed, especially if the trans slips off the jack easily. If your alone and creative, you could somehow attach the trans securely to the floorjack for an easier installation. The hardest part is the awkward shape is difficult to balance on a floor jack. Last time I was able to bolt an old flywheel to the floor jack which made a much wider/stable base

Archived