LegacyGT.com

Invidia Q300 owners... how do you clean this up?

TJS

I put my Q300 on in October. About midway through November (two-ish weeks after our first snowfall, and therefore first road-salting), one of the tack-welded "invidia" logos on the outer tips fell off. I went over to the other side and pulled the other one off easily with my fingers.

Now it's spring and I spent the day cleaning up the car. But I haven't cleaned up the exhaust tips yet. I've got some stainless steel polish, but I'm not sure that's going to cut it. Anybody have any suggestions?

Note about the pic: the rust streaks are just left behind from the cheap-ass logo tags they had on there, which trapped some salt in behind them. The rust has NOT got any worse since I took the tags off. I just want to clean this up.

labelgone.jpg.af0b3b70ff1e0a0a5c41b5c20e39e57d.jpg

Good luck cleaning that off. Really the only way I could imagine to do it is to take some heavy scotch bright and scrub it. It will scratch the living crap out of the polished surface but to get the rust off that probably the route to go. Scrub it off then slowly work your way down the sand path till you he to polish. And then try to polish it back to original glory.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a bosal CBE that got some surface rust on it. I picked up some p21s polishing soap from autogeek.com. Works great. For the real stubborn stuff, I used some #0000 fine steel wool with the polishing soap. No scratching for me. I also used Wolfgang concours metal sealant afterward to prevent future corosion. Look better then new.

one of the welds on a tip on mine broke its still hanging on there.

i was thinking about removing the tags all together for stealthy reasons.

i already painted the logo on the Y pipe flat black so its not advertising modifications.

i would go with a scotch bright pad to remove the rust, and then some polishing compound to bring some of the shine back

damn...didn't know that comes off that easily...

high grit sand paper?

my friend used that to take off the "burnt tip" look

DO NOT use sandpaper. It will destroy the exhaust. Fine steel wool is nothing like sandpaper. Sandpaper will scratch the hell out of chrome. Steel wool when used properly, with a polish, is safe as long as your gentile.

Archived