LegacyGT.com

Adjusting Koni Shocks

bluesuby

I have a 2005 LGT Wagon with Koni Shocks, Whiteline LCA bushings, and otherwise a stock suspension. When the Konis were installed I left them on the full soft setting, thinking they would produce a very firm ride. Actually they did feel really good, but I'm playing with the idea of turning them one "click" in the front only. I rarely keep anything in the back of the wagon, and 90% of the time I drive to/from work by myself.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the consequences would be of firming up the front a bit more, but leaving the rear in full soft?

Since the rear spring rate is higher than the front, shouldnt the rear be set a bit firmer? Stock spring rates are 3.5 front, 5.5 rear.

I don't know. I was hoping some autocross people might know whether turning down the fronts would move toward oversteer, increase understeer, or move toward neutral.

Set them however you like them. Turning down just the fronts does create a bit more turn in. I usually set them full hard then dial back depending on how I feel. Usually like half a turn back in the fronts. Its all about how you feel...

From what I've learned, the advantage of having the adjustability of the Koni's is to match the dampening with the springs you have, not to correct oversteer and understeer.

If you're looking to adjust oversteer and understeer, you can adjust your alignment settings, tire pressure, and sway bar(s).

As a rule of thumb, shocks are at their best when they are in the middle of their adjustment range as opposed to setting them at the limits(high or low) of their adjustment range. id keep them a couple clicks off the limit.

As a rule of thumb, shocks are at their best when they are in the middle of their adjustment range as opposed to setting them at the limits(high or low) of their adjustment range. id keep them a couple clicks off the limit.

And use the same adjustments front and rear?

Since the rear spring rate is higher than the front, shouldnt the rear be set a bit firmer? Stock spring rates are 3.5 front, 5.5 rear.

Depends on the suspension geometry. If front suspension has lower rates in front (despite being the heaviest part of the car), methinks it is becz the front springs are subject to leverage, so despite the lower spring rate, the real spring rate as teh suspension moves through its range of motion is probably higher than the rear spring rate.

I run 1 turn in front and 1.5 in rear. It's pretty sweet.

This is how I run mine in my wagon too. I think you'll find these settings actually slightly softer than what you are currrently running. Adjustable shocks shouldn't be run at their lowest setting.

I think it is weird that you didn't spend the first week adjusting them several times a day. :)

I did find with my particular set-up that a full turn from soft in the front actually improved the ride. I have the rears adjusted about a turn and a quarter.

Archived