LegacyGT.com

misprints in engine wiring schematic?

oh great! i am looking to put the ecu from an 04 xt into a 06 gt. don't ask why it is a very long story with it's own share of mis-information.

the wiring for the 04 ecu shows two C31 connections going different places!! that cannot be right. it also has wires drawn going to the wrong place! i have to wonder about some other terminal info as well. are there only two mistakes, or three, maybe four or more? this is crazy, how is someone to solve problems this way??

tom

well today i changed all the wiring to be the same as a 04 xt and tomorrow i will plug in an xt ecu and see if it runs. this means i can eliminate the biu, immobilizer, anti lock brake unit and instrument panel. there were several places where the ecu wires had to be swapped and i just have to trust the subaru info.

I'll bite -- why are you attempting this? Replacing a LGT ECU isn't all that expensive or uncommon so it can't be that.

It sounds like you'll end up with a running & driving car without working gauges or ABS. What good is that?

this is from a different forum section:

update, i should have originaly said > i am installing the complete drive train from an 06 GT in a 98 legacy outback wagon. so i thought it would be easier to also install the complete wiring and dash. maybe not........! engine, trans and rear are swapped, fuel pump installed in 98 tank. some sources say the 06 is a CAN data car, others say NOT. so for now i am going with the NOT's and will see what happens. rear swap is easy and 98 axles work with 06 rear. front is another story. must use the 06 axles because of trans (5mt) and different splines in cv joints, so am machining sleeves so the wheel brng grease seals will work with 06 axles. spline in front hub is shorter, but not much so will make special nuts and use permanent locktite. used 06 front subframe with 98 lower arms and 06 rack which has different splines, so will make custom shaft grafted togeather. used 98 alt and a/c compressor with 06 radiator and 98 a/c condenser. also must use 98 shifter on 06 trans, as it is shorter. all in all everything fits, now to sort out how much wiring is needed for ecu to co-operate and cruise to work. i am using the 98 steering column and putting the immobilizer ant and key somewhere behind dash. also have to pick up a speed signal for speedo, will probably put a pickup on one of the front inner c/v joints. i'll post a link to pics later, but it just looks like a subaru!

it turns out that 05 and newer are CAN data cars so you cannot use the ECU alone which would have been what i hoped to do. i am using the ABS, instruments, dash etc from the 98 legacy outback. drove it today and it is awsome!

tom

I thought only 07+ LGT are CAN. And according to a subaru mechanic I knew misprints in Subaru factory manuals are fairly common. The only possible fix is to get _all_ the service bulletins and updates to the FSM.

Archived