LegacyGT.com

How many miles are on your 2nd gen Legacy?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really wouldn't be nervous about that Outback. YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO MAKE SURE THE HEADGASKETS WERE DONE, ALONG WITH THE TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP. You will screw yourself over if you buy the car without those things already being done because they are costly if they haven't been done.

I checked the car out and it's clean. The one female owner had records since it's first oil change at 2500 miles. There's a long list of repairs done...except headgasket and waterpump. It has had a few leaks that had been fixed but no the headgasket. She even took it to the dealer when her domelight burnt out. New clutch drives and shifts really nice (although) I did notice third had a slight click. How much would a headgasket repair be at the dealer? any idea? thanks

Yeah, my car has just over 123K on it and I still have the original headgaskets. Sometimes they don't blow until over 200K but that is sort of rare. Just be expecting it to happen though.. That's what I'm doing. When I see the temp gauge start to spike I'll just shut if off and have it towed to the shop that way I don't have to pay more for warping the heads or ruining the whole engine.

I just bought my first Subaru, a '99 Legacy Outback wagon with 225,717 miles. It runs great! Got it from the original owner who had service records documenting all the needed work: head gasket at 175k, valve job, two timing belts, front bearings, etc. I bought this as a second car to drive in the mountains this winter for skiing/snowboarding.

Previously, I've mostly driven Hondas, but I'm beginning to think Subaru is better quality and a better value.

to the guy above me you are going to love it the moment it snows :D

I know! I live in SoCal where people drive like wimps in the rain, and chains are required to drive mountain passes (unless you have an AWD or 4x4). I learned to drive in a snowy climate so don't understand this driving mentality. :confused:

BTW, my '99 came from Colorado and is a Rocky Mountain Edition (a dealer add-on) that includes an engine under-guard, rear differential protector, and other creature comforts (tweeters, subwoofer/amp, keyless entry) all of which work on my car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Newbie here w/'99 SUS.

212,243 miles :icon_bigg.

Bought it new w/26 miles on 12/22/98.

Just had head gaskets done (212,111 mi) along w/ timing belt, water pump, oil pump, needed front drivers side wheel bearing and hub, and tie rod. Oh and set of Yoko TRZ's. First time I had to replace tie rod, bearings and hub, now that's what I call reliable!

Got a 98 GT with 195,000 miles on it. Bought the car a year ago and have put 30,000 on it sice then. Great car was awesome in the 3 huge snows we got last winter OH so fun to drive. Nothing major done to the car at this point normal repairs for the age and miles. Did repalce the exhuast system to headers and Magnaflow mufflers. Such a great sounding car.

• 2 weeks later...