LegacyGT.com

Major Oil Leak

I had finally gotten my subie back on the road and took her out for a test drive. Did great, engine wasn't overheating or making any noise. But after about an hour of driving at various speeds and engine loads I noticed some smoke rolling from under the hood. I parked it and saw that there was a pool of oil underneath it and covered the front and bottom of the engine. The cam seals and front seals were still in place, the oil pump was still sealed and tight, the screws on the back of the oil pump were still tight, the o-ring on the back of the oil pump was still in place, the valve cover gaskets aren't leaking and neither is the oil pan. Any ideas on where else I could have a major oil leak at that would be at the front of the engine? I've got an EJ22 with EJ25D heads.

The cam seals and front seals were still in place, the oil pump was still sealed and tight, the screws on the back of the oil pump were still tight, the o-ring on the back of the oil pump was still in place, the valve cover gaskets aren't leaking and neither is the oil pan. Any ideas on where else I could have a major oil leak at that would be at the front of the engine? I've got an EJ22 with EJ25D heads.

Did you pull the motor back out to verify theses things? If you replaced all the seals, is it possible one got rolled? The only other point of leakage you didn't mention is the oil pressure sensor, and since I don't know, do the 2.5 heads have the same o-rings behind the cam seal housing?

Check your oil filter in case it is loose. Did you replace the crush washer? I think Kenny is right.

Rear main seal or the oil-air separator plate. If you pushed the rear main seal in too much or pinched it at all, it will leak.

Would either of those things cause oil to be in the front of the motor?

Would either of those things cause oil to be in the front of the motor?

The oil/air separator, no, not at all. It will never leak enough to get to the front of the engine. Most of what leaks from it, drips, and it drips down onto the exhaust and burns off.

The rear main seal, if it leaks enough, will drain all over the bottom of the engine from back to front.

Leaking valve cover gaskets will actually do the same thing. It will run everywhere.

Depends on what the op meant by the front of the engine. Sounds like he could have a cam or crank seal leaking but I have seen loose oil filters leak and the oil gets blown towards the front of the engine. Another possibility would be the oil temp sensor. Hard to diagnose problems from the Internet.

it was too high up and in the timing cover. the rear of the engine is clean. i looked further at the oil pump and saw that the front seal had a tear in it, but i'm not sure if i damaged it pulling it out. i put the new oil pump on and let it run for a bit and saw a tiny amount of oil leaking out of the hex bolts that are on the oil pump. not sure exactly what they are though. so now i've gotta find the right allen wrench and tighten them up to see if that fixes it i guess. all the seals have been replaced and none of them looked to be out of shape. and i don't know how much it matters but the new oil pump came with a flat o-ring gasket for the back, the one i pulled off my old one was just a regular o-ring i threw on there.

Oil pump leak it is. If you want to make sure it's right, and will not leak, remove and reseal it.

Just as a matter of interest, why the hell do they have an external oil pump and not an internal oil pump like most other engines. No room inside maybe ?

Hello;

Personally, I like having the pump mounted as it is. Easy to service and nice not having to pull-a-pan to service. I used the grey hi-torque silicone, new oring and crankcase seal. Be sure to pull the key and or tape over it to prevent the seal being torn. Good luck, Steven.

I suppose your right, but I can't say I've ever had to service an internal oil pump. Can't say the same about the external, prone to leak 2.2L legacy oil pump.

Mine has leaked since the day I bought it. I have been told that it is a common problem on the 96 2.2L engine. It's not really a leak, more a seep with the odd drip on the driveway. I have had new seals put on twice, once by the dealership and once by me. Ok for about 5-10 thou then slowly starts again as the seal ages and gets harder. It's just something that I have learned to live with and just put a new crank seal on everytime I do the belt.

Archived