LegacyGT.com

Brakes Suck. 2nd Rotor Re-surface

waterdish

I was in at the dealer today for about 3 hours. I have just under 10,000 miles now and needed an oil change (I think Im just going to start doing this myself) Needed the little plastic gas door release handle replaced.

Well the point is... I month after I bought the car (back in feb.) the brakes sucked. Brought it in and they re-surfaced them. Well this time they were getting so bad that the steering wheel would shake as well as the brake pedal. I could be wrong but I thought they told me that if it happened again they would be replaced. So Im sitting there waiting and the service person tells me that they can't be replaced cause there still at a certain thickness. So they re-surfaced all four discs.... what do you guys think about that...

How do I drive? I would say normal with spirited driving like anyone else. Is this a lost cause and should I just start saving money for new pads or pads and rotors? Opinions wanted...

Ok whatever I was just venting....

Dave

in most warranty repairs they will try to do the cheaper of the 2 options (resurfaceing them). since they had only been done once before they must have been still within the acceptable range for them to turn them a second time. if the pulsation comes back and your still within warranty they will probably replace the rotors since they will be to thin.

another problem that might cause pulsation is uneven pad wear, this can happen on fresh turned rotors if they were not correctly turned or finished.

advise: drive like usual, wait for the pulsation to come back go back to the dealer and make sure they give you new rotors and pads under warranty.

aftermarket pads/rotors cost additional money. you allrdy paid for your stockers might as well get all the use out of them that you can. (especially if its all under warranty)

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

I agree the stock pads suck! Since they have cut your rotors 2x already, I doubt there is any service life left for a 3rd cut. So when you get that pulsation back in the near future, have the dealer get you new rotors, and then immediately put in upgraded pads, so that you can stop this vicious cycle.

The brakes on this vehicle are terrible stock. When I purchased my car with 15 miles on it the front brakes made a loud grinding noise. I then brought the car back to the dealer and the rotors were resurfaced under warranty but the brakes still did not inspire confidence, in fact they were down right scary in stop and go highway traffic in northern NJ. I used to have to give myself extra room when trailing other cars. I did notice however that the brakes improved a bit after about 4K miles. I don't know if this was a break-in situation with the pads. I finally got disgusted with the situation and purchased Carbotech Bobcat pads for all 4 corners along with DBA 4000 rotors for the front and Goodridge stainless steel lines. What a diiference!. The car actually has excellent brakes when all of the OEM crap is flushed and replaced with something of quality. The modulation of the brakes is very intuitive now and the car stops a lot faster. The only drawback is a slight squeekiness to right rear brakes under light braking under some driving conditions. This problem is not serious as it is not very loud and only happens occasionally. I would definitely recommend doing all of these changes, not cheap, but certainly worth the cost of your life.

I've found that resurfacing a disc that has already shown it wants to warp is a waste of time. As stated above, they only get thinner, have less ability to sink heat and therefore warp sooner.

I'm not debating the path that the service department is going to take - but they are just putting off the inevitable (replacing the disc).

Archived