LegacyGT.com

lower arm bushing pics

Beanboy

Close. A supplier to Whiteline is designing a replacement bush that gives better geometry control, increased caster & a degree of caster management (i.e. to ensure even left/right caster settings).

Someone here in Aus is currently using their skunkwork-design part & raves about it. They just need to gear up for production & we're away.

Personally, I can't wait. I've got uneven caster (car pulls slightly to the left) and would love more self-centering, increased dynamic camber & better steering feel.

My suspension set-up is Bilstein B6 Sport/WL Control springs/WL 20mm adjustable RSB/WL front strut brace/WL steering rack bushes, standard 17" alloys & Falken ST-115 tyres. Could be better...much better...with optimised caster settings!

From the May Subaru of America Tech Tips:

2005~06my legacy Front lower control arm bushings

Dealers have reported, and in some cases replaced, the Front Lower Control Arms for cracked bushings. Generally, replacement is not necessary. Even with cracks up to 15mm across the outside surface, and all the way through the bushing from one side to the other, the bushing performance is still 20 times the strength of specification.

This type of bushing works with compressed rubber and when the control arm travels through its full stroke it stretches a small portion of the bushing and will exhibit a crack or split. This does not affect the performance of the bushing and will not continue to spread to the rest of the bushing. It does not cause body vibrations, noises, or braking issues. A Service Bulletin will be released outlining the above information. See image to the right.

http://www.thel7.com/images/tips.bmp

Note: B9 Tribeca models have a similar design Control Arm Bushing. However, the material and characteristics of the bushing material may be slightly different. The issue of cracking and its affects are being reviewed at this time. We will update this information for this model in a future issue of TechTIPS.

Bushing performance is still within spec even if cracked all the way through one side? seems kind of suspect

??Kind of suspect??? I'd say very suspect. Clearly, they want to minimize their warrantee replacements and with this language they are leaving it up to the dealer's discretion. That is disappointing.

• 4 weeks later...
I forgot if this bushing experiences 2 axis or 3 axis or movements.. if the unit split all the way across, in a 2-axis, it wouldnt matter, the material still functions as a solid, just so happens it's in two pieces.. if the bushing acts as 3-axis, (which it does look like from the tear), then it would be a problem as the broken piece will one day slip out when there's no longer a load pressing against it? That it could eventually vibrate and deteriorate out of the control arm? Of course, it is a pressed bushing, so it can stay in for a good while...
Keefe

^ Same boat with MR Coilovers, hence my interest. Still clunking away despite many hours of tightening bolts, scratching head, posting on here. Looks like I have another thing to go poke at and wonder about in my front suspension.

• 1 year later...

I didn't find this thread before I posted about my torn bushings. My dealer is replacing the bushings under my extended warranty, but see my discussion of Subaru policy on the matter.

Top of thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87499

My "conclusion" post:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1864618

My dealer had to replace the entire lower control arms on both sides. Stating that they do not just replace the bushings. Thank god it was under warranty.

I'll bet Subaru will reject (not pay) that dealer's warranty claim. The bushings are available individually and press in very easily.

Good question. I would like to hear from people with unmodded suspensions who have noise or alignment issues do to the bushings.

I was getting steering wheel vibrations, similar to an unbalanced tire/wheel, at highway speeds. Also, after replacing the bushings, I realized how much more firmer the steering was.

Archived