LegacyGT.com

Check engine light!!! Needed help

Hi all, I got the code P3001 on scanner which is oxygen sensor upstream. I'm going to replace it myself but after i do that do i need to clear ECU or it does gone off by itself after replacement. Or if not how to clear ECU on the dashboard. thank you for all advice.

You will need to clear it. 2 ways to do it. Use the same scanner or... Some people say you can disconnect the battery for an hour-long. I have never tried this as I have a scanner.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Buy a code reader and read the code first. That would tell you what's up. Then you can reset it and see if it comes back.

Not having a code reader when you have an old car is like not having a set of tools and a spare alternator belt with you in case you need to make a quick roadside fix.

453747.png

I'd recommend one of the bluetooth OBDII scanners that links to your Android phone or tablet. Or they have WiFi versions too for IOS. Each are less than $20 and they allow you to reset/erase the codes as well. I use the Torque app on mine.

20180217_061614.thumb.jpg.0bf963338d2dce18dafbf56020d860f8.jpg

thank you you all info, I got the code now is P0031 heated oxygen sensor-bank1 sensor1. The check engine light was on and cruise control were flashing. My question is after i have replace the oxygen sensor how do i reset ECU I searching on the site said just disconnect the negative battery for an hour do they have another way to reset it or that is the only way to do. thank again.

If you replace the O2 sensor, and the sensor is in fact the problem, the CEL will go away on its own. If somehow it doesn't, the auto parts store can clear it for you, or you can clear it with a $10 basic reader from eBay.

If the CEL returns, the solution applied was not the correct one. If you want to diagnose properly before replacing the part, refer to the P0031 procedure in the vacation pics.

The 'light' will go away but the code will be stored. So if you ever have a CEL again and you go for a scan it will still pull up the old code together with any other new codes. This will throw off your investigation.

Archived