LegacyGT.com

lower set up on a BD. help?

ok, i know this topic has been mentioned before....ON MANY FORUMS. but none of which answer my specific questions since i have unique wants and needs. ive got a 97 lgt that im kinda swaying away from turning into a race car. i get into enough trouble with it at is it. and faster and id just be down right irresponsible lololol. so im kinda leaning toward a form>function deal. that beeing said. the mods in mind right now are a lowering kit f some type. sway bars. wheels(in the long run since i still love my lgt snow flakes!) exhaust. and maybe more. who know.

so before the race car drivers jump in and slam on my idea...BACK OFF WITH YOUR TROLLING "my cars better than yours" comments. this is my car and ill do as i please. im only currently looking for suggestions for cheap(400-600$ cheap) lowering set ups that will be easy to install and get ahold of. any suggestions are welcome but please dont give me a speech about how terrible it will preform and how bad my ride will be. looking for an inch-1.5inch drop.

thank you for your time

I did the H&R and GR2 combo as well on stock 16" GT wheels. Had 14" steelies before. I did front and rear Rallitek anti-sway bars as well. The car rides and handles great in my opinion. Much has to do with good tires. I'm using 205/55/16 Pilot Sport A/S+. Recently I've changed my inflation from 35 to 50PSI and,,,Holy Christ what an improvement. (Max is 51PSI).

Here is a link with before and after photos, and the amount of drop I measured vs. what H&R advertises. Some say to use saggy-butt spacers. The rocker panels are even with the ground so I disagree with using them.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/96-legacy-spring-upgrade-before-after-photos-160809.html?t=160809&highlight=H%26R+springs

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

i just picked up some bilstein struts off of an 03 WRX to install on my 97 LGT. I have read that the WRX struts MAYBE lower the car a half inch. That being said im considering drop springs to get a slightly lower stance. Like the OP maybe 1-1.5" Any suggestions? Cheaper the better haha but good quality. Just wondering i know i'll have to look for 03 wrx springs because of the struts, but just wondering if i'll have to think 0.5" lower than springs advertise beacause of the 0.5" drop that the wrx struts might provide? Any help guys?

• I Donated
so im kinda leaning toward a form>function deal.\

So you're wanting something that looks cool but doesn't function well?

You can have both at the same time.....

If you're looking for "stance", you're probably asking in the wrong place. These setups are impractical, dangerous, and downright stupid to drive on the road.

Just get a decent set of coilovers or a good strut / spring combo so you can have the best of both worlds.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

by form>function i do not mean i want a stance nation scrape-mobile... even tho thats their slogan. but i what i meant by that is that if i was stuck with getting a set of raceland coilovers id be fine with that due too my budget. air force doesnt pay A1C's an awful lot of money lol but i wanna get my scoob lookin good.. or i guess better lol. so thats what i meant by that. i think the kyb's sound like a solid set up. is there any specific set of springs that work better with certain struts or is it generally universal? please educate me cause im definately not the smartest scooby owner in the world lol

How much of a drop did he get? And do you know how much he paid?

They're in an e36. You can go real low with them, but you ramp up the spring rate when you do so. His car is real low and other subarus have gone real low on them. I have expensive coilovers in my legacy wagon and it rides worse than his bimmer on the racelands :rolleyes:

For our cars you can expect to pay 470 for new racelands. Or you could source a set of 02-07 wrx or 04 sti coilovers used for a little more than that.

Ok thank you! Been very helpful! If I was to order the 03-07 wrx racelands from a website would they just mount up to my 97 LGT? If not what kind of modifications would I have to make to make them.fit? I'm having issues finding them for a 97 specifically

• I Donated
please educate me cause im definately not the smartest scooby owner in the world lol

You don't have to make yourself sound so bad lol....but I can respect the fact that you're coming out and actually asking for help instead of being a "know-it-all" noob like a lot of people tend to be.

As far as Racelands go...the only "bad" things I've heard about them are from the $2,000+ price tag coil over snobs. As far as people who have actually used / installed / etc them...I have heard ZERO complaints.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

Yes they are a direct bolt on

And I was talking to a friend about this and he said it was a necessary that I buy a camber kit as well. Is that correct??

Wrong.

See the one top that has the slits cut on either side of it with the four alen head bolts? That is going to be your camber adjustment for the front. Basically how those work is it allows you to move the entire shock/spring assembly away from the centerline of the mount in either the positive or negative direction.....in effect changing your camber positive or negative.Nothing extra will be needed.

If you want camber adjustment on the rear, you can either put in cam bolts at the knuckle (cheap crappy way of doing it and your alignment will get knocked out easily), or if you want to do it right get yourself a set of adjustable lateral links for the rear.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Thank you! I was really nervous when he said I'd have to spend an extra 300$ lol can't wait to get em on! I know they aren't track worthy but it will definitely look alot better and anything is better than the bad rear struts I have on now!

Archived