LegacyGT.com

Looking at getting into an '05 LGT Wagon...some questions...

atchipmunk

As the title states, i'm looking to get into an '05 Legacy 2.5GT Wagon, but have some questions for you Subie guys. From reading a bit on here, i've heard that this year LGT had some issues with turbos going bad and needing replacement. What was it that caused the turbo failures?

I'm specifically looking at an '05 LGT with the 5-spd Auto that has pretty high mileage (136,000) and the seller has a ton of receipts for all the recent services done to the vehicle (Timing belt, water pump, brakes, ALL fluids changed, plugs, etc at 134,000 miles, New tires at 130,000 miles, and new OEM Shocks & Struts at 100,000 miles. I haven't gone and looked at the car yet, but there is no mention of turbo replacement in the guys listing or on the service records on carfax. Is this something I should be worried about? What is the root cause of the turbo issues?

My plans for the vehicle are mostly as a more appropriate family car since I come from the BMW world (i'm a BMW Master Tech and Shop Foreman and currently driving a AC Schnitzer widebodied E36 M3 as my DD). I have a 21month old daughter as well as a baby boy on the way next month, so need to add something with a bit more space while still being a bit sporty. The LGT seems to fit that bill almost perfectly...:D

Anyway, under what circumstances should I really be concerned about the LGT turbo issues? If the turbos have never been replaced is that something I should plan on having to do before something happens? Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can provide...

Alvin Caragay

Turbo life is directly equated to previous owners oil change habits. Unfornately back in 2005 Subaru had the grandiose idea that 7500 normal using dino oil was acceptable. However a filter screen on an turbo oil inlet line clogs and that is what kills the turbo. Its a design flaw of the vehicle.

Subaru did revert to 3750 miles and sent a letter out. However its too late for many of the cars out there.

I am at 120k on original turbo that I have owned since new. We use 3k-4k with dino since new and hoping to get another 4 years/60k+ out of the 120k/6yr old turbo.

Turbo life is directly equated to previous owners oil change habits. Unfornately back in 2005 Subaru had the grandiose idea that 7500 normal using dino oil was acceptable. However a filter screen on an turbo oil inlet line clogs and that is what kills the turbo. Its a design flaw of the vehicle.

Subaru did revert to 3750 miles and sent a letter out. However its too late for many of the cars out there.

I am at 120k on original turbo that I have owned since new. We use 3k-4k with dino since new and hoping to get another 4 years/60k+ out of the 120k/6yr old turbo.

I have to agree.

I never followed the OEM 7500 mle rule. I didn't think it was a smart thing to do.

A new VF turbo is just over $1000. A vf40, vf52 and I think vf46 are direct bolt on.

If you go with a vf52 you will need a tune. My turbo let me know it was time to be replaced. You need to listen to the car for noises, when you hear the turbo start to make a loud whine it's getting time. My changed to a whistle one morning a 1/2 mile from home, it turned around, back to home and parked it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

181k on my car and other than wear and tear it's been running great. I switched out my turbo just because at 98k and while it was still running fine the spool did have some play in it.

slightly used direct replacements run $350 or so. at least that's what I paid.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived