LegacyGT.com

"Studdering" Fix Released

Opie

^^

ERICKSON00 - awesome....cant wait to hear!

If you can, let us know what the Part Number is for the new ECU.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROBMAN - Can you please give us the Part Number from your "exchanged" ECU. Would like to compare it with the one in mine. My car feels so much different from what others are reporting after reflash, that I'm wondering if SOA isn't sending out new/newer ECU's.

TIA

SBT

Subie -

Part Description: UEC-42

Part Number: 22611AJ17C

My tech claimed this to be the latest/greatest from SOA.....

Studdering 99% fixed. Maybe one or two single jolts in the past 5 days of driving, which probably are drive by wire or driveline lash related.

Rob.

This concerns me... I wonder if this 'fix' detunes the car even more than it already is? If the AP gets rid of the stutter while adding power, what are the chances that the OEM fix gets rid of the stutter and we lose power? I would be interested in the factory numbers after the 'fix'. Would the numbers on the '06 Legacy be the same for the '05 with the 'fix' do you think?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

This concerns me... I wonder if this 'fix' detunes the car even more than it already is? If the AP gets rid of the stutter while adding power, what are the chances that the OEM fix gets rid of the stutter and we lose power? I would be interested in the factory numbers after the 'fix'. Would the numbers on the '06 Legacy be the same for the '05 with the 'fix' do you think?
Well the car isn't going to be putting down much power when it is stuttering... so I wouldn't be so concerned. Especially if you have to lift off and try again. Might as well have 120hp :(

ROBMAN - did u happen to mention that you had a check engine light on????? b/c thats a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

let me know - communicating w/ maine mall motors

Joe -

See my original post #274 in this thread. I did throw a CEL two days before my 15K service.....In fact, I scheduled the service early just because of the CEL event. The CEL cleared the next morning. Remember though, I had the cooling fan problem as well, and Maine Mall Motors thought the CEL was more related to that rather than the studdering.

Rob.

Subie -

Part Description: UEC-42

Part Number: 22611AJ17C

My tech claimed this to be the latest/greatest from SOA.....

Studdering 99% fixed. Maybe one or two single jolts in the past 5 days of driving, which probably are drive by wire or driveline lash related.

Rob.

ROBMAN,

Thanks! I'll check it out as soon as I can this weekend. Incidently, this crosses to:

http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=22611AJ17C

I got my car back this afternoon. I had two problems they were attempting to fix: the stutter, and an alignment problem.

I can't tell if the brand new ECU they installed did anything for my car. I only felt the stuttuer once or twice, and only brought it in to be proactive. As a matter of fact, it could feel even less powerful now. Could this be the ECU in learning mode? Should I drive like I stole it for a while to get the ECU trained to my driving style (brisk)? I will post the part number when I get the paperwork faxed to me.

The alignment issue still seems to be here, even though he showed me a new report generated at the shop, and compared it to the original one. Everything looks good on paper. I was at -.08 degrees on a caster measurement before, and now I am at 0 degrees. Things seemed to have been straightened out, yet it still drifts to the right. I really, really, really don't want to go through the hassle of submitting lemon paperwork, but I might have to. I'm about to install the cubby bezel, and have already installed other various stereo gear in the car. I don't want to go through all that again. I can't believe it still pulls to the right.

They had my car for 13 days, and nothing has changed, really. Since I was only able to get it to stutter a few times before, I cannot tell if they really fixed the problem or not. And at what cost? Maybe it's robbed me of some low end power.

:-(

Went to my dealer today and spoke to them about the ECU and my "studdering", which I should honestly say isnt as bad as some have stated, but it is there and worth trying to get taken care of, especially since i spent a pretty dime on the car as did we all.

The deal was curious to what the whole issue was. The seemed interested, yet skeptical. I offered to bring them for a ride after describing the issue and they said "no need, we believe you". They hooked up their computer to my car and could not pull any codes.....which i explained would be the case anyhow. The service tech went on trying to explain how he is not surprised however how difficult it can be to get an issue resolved when they have no codes off of my car to go from. He then went to say that the only next step is to call SOA and see if there are any other related issues and how they got resolved.

I should appreciate that he is acknowledging my concern however he sat at the desk for 15-20 minutes and "could not get ahold of SOA"....and told me he will try again in the morning and see if he can get some feedback from them.

Needless to say, I spent over an hour to get nothing back that didnt already know. Hopefully he will get ahold of SOA in the morning and see if my VIN qualifies for this....maybe it will........

maybe it wont. stay tuned.

Joe

Went to my dealer today and spoke to them about the ECU and my "studdering", which I should honestly say isnt as bad as some have stated, but it is there and worth trying to get taken care of, especially since i spent a pretty dime on the car as did we all.

The deal was curious to what the whole issue was. The seemed interested, yet skeptical. I offered to bring them for a ride after describing the issue and they said "no need, we believe you". They hooked up their computer to my car and could not pull any codes.....which i explained would be the case anyhow. The service tech went on trying to explain how he is not surprised however how difficult it can be to get an issue resolved when they have no codes off of my car to go from. He then went to say that the only next step is to call SOA and see if there are any other related issues and how they got resolved.

I should appreciate that he is acknowledging my concern however he sat at the desk for 15-20 minutes and "could not get ahold of SOA"....and told me he will try again in the morning and see if he can get some feedback from them.

Needless to say, I spent over an hour to get nothing back that didnt already know. Hopefully he will get ahold of SOA in the morning and see if my VIN qualifies for this....maybe it will........ maybe it wont. stay tuned.

Joe

If you don't hear something back in the affirmative. then get on the horn to 800-Subaru3 and open a case on your issue. Then, ask them what they're doing about it? By now, the ECU reflash ought to be corporate "memory" within the Subaru Customer Service help desk.

SBT

How long b4 a new car experiences the stuttering issues? I just broke 1k and haven't noticed anything yet.

according to most, this shouldn't occur in the 'newer' '05's. Probably people who bought it before a certain build date...as the beginning of the thread states.

Could be a mild case...I usually experience it in 5th (and 4th/3rd) generally in the 2500-3500 RPM range. It acts like the car is 'building' boost, and then, once you pass 3500, it goes away. As if you were riding a pedal bike, holding the brakes (softly) and riding down a hill..you would feel a little pull from the brakes, and then, let go of the brakes, and all of a sudden, smooth. that's the best way I can describe it.

Could be a mild case...I usually experience it in 5th (and 4th/3rd) generally in the 2500-3500 RPM range. It acts like the car is 'building' boost, and then, once you pass 3500, it goes away. As if you were riding a pedal bike, holding the brakes (softly) and riding down a hill..you would feel a little pull from the brakes, and then, let go of the brakes, and all of a sudden, smooth. that's the best way I can describe it.

That's actually a good analogy... but in some of the more harsh examples though, it's more like slamming the brakes shut and open in quick succession while building boost so it's reaaaaallllly obvious.

SBT

See initially, when I couldn't shift well (just learned stick on this car, hell I didn't even test drive the thing) from 1st to 2nd, sometime I would get this crazy jerk jerk jerk. And if you had the windows down, you could hear that amazing 2nd gear engine whine cut out and back in. But as I learned to shift better, it went away, so that's what I attributed that to. I have tried to go from like 1.5k rpm to 3.5k rpm really slowly in 2nd gear, to see if I can get it to studder under "light" acceleration, but so far, nothing really noticeable. I will try the 2500-3500 rpm range in 3,4,5 to see what I can come up with. The gas I use is Chevron, I don't know if that means anything, but I just threw it out as a point of comparison

If you don't hear something back in the affirmative. then get on the horn to 800-Subaru3 and open a case on your issue. Then, ask them what they're doing about it? By now, the ECU reflash ought to be corporate "memory" within the Subaru Customer Service help desk.

SBT

I called them yesterday when I got back from my dealership. I spoke to someone in Customer service and he said "I have NEVER heard of this issue yet" and I told him, are you kidding? I said I have heard of HUNDREDS of people with this issue. He went on to explain that it is my "dealers" job to find out whats wrong then if they cant find an issue to contact their "Tech Line".....which they should be doing this morning.

To reference, I called 1800-782-2783 ...which i believe translates to 1800-subaru3.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.....a lot.

Joe

See initially, when I couldn't shift well (just learned stick on this car, hell I didn't even test drive the thing) from 1st to 2nd, sometime I would get this crazy jerk jerk jerk. And if you had the windows down, you could hear that amazing 2nd gear engine whine cut out and back in. But as I learned to shift better, it went away, so that's what I attributed that to. I have tried to go from like 1.5k rpm to 3.5k rpm really slowly in 2nd gear, to see if I can get it to studder under "light" acceleration, but so far, nothing really noticeable. I will try the 2500-3500 rpm range in 3,4,5 to see what I can come up with. The gas I use is Chevron, I don't know if that means anything, but I just threw it out as a point of comparison

i have the exact same problem and i was just learning on my obxt as well. never test drive the 5mt before i bought it. hopeully it will go away as i get better. put 1400 miles on it in the first month

I have tried to go from like 1.5k rpm to 3.5k rpm really slowly in 2nd gear, to see if I can get it to studder under "light" acceleration,

Try "moderate" acceleration, not light, not heavy. I can best duplicate it by shifting into the next higher gear (most noticeable in 2, 3, and 4 for me) and then depressing the accelerator at a fairly rapid pace after you get the engine to 2000 - 2500 rpm. That does it for me almost everytime. I also notice it more when the weather is hot and humid and I have the AC on.

Update:

Got a voice mail from my dealerships service department today, after stopping by yesterday for my ECU issue (see pg/37 of this thread to see what happened yesterday) and they want me to drop my car of on Monday morning and they will give me a rental while they send out my computer for a few days. I have yet to speak with the service manager since the voice mail to get any further details of what SOA had to say, etc. However I will obviously speak with him on Monday morning.

Hope this works out for the best......apparently my car must be affected if the VIN was selected as well...I will be asking if thats the case or if they are accepting ALL 05 LGT's, no matter the VIN # or build date.

Stay Tuned....

Joe

Dropped car off at dealer today, got rental and they are sending my ECU/ECM...whatever it is to SOA for an reflash UPDATE. I will be without my car until this wednesday.

I will post when I get it Wednesday and tell yawll how it is....

Joe

wow... thats a pretty quick turn around.

That's what I thought.

Until they installed the newly flashed ECU into my car and the problem became so bad that the dealer told me my car "wanted to fall on its face."

They ordered me a new ECU, which took a couple days. Installed it, and the car wouldn't start. They figured out they installed one for an automatic transmission, though mine is a 5MT.

Ordered a new one, took a few more days to get here. Now it drives great.

Total time in shop: 10 days