LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

If anyone out there has done a swap and retained their 5mt shifter bezel, take a look here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ca-leather-shift-boot-black-w-red-stitching-223148.html (shifter boot and ebrake boot, black leather with read stitching).

I actually bought the above under the premise that the boot was mounted to a 6mt bezel, but it's actually mounted to a 5mt ring. The seller has offered to take it back, but if someone just wants the setup for their car I'll send it out direct instead of wasting an extra shipping trip.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I have an opportunity to get whatever I want from an 07 spec b. But I noticed on the first page that the 07 year tranny is not listed, it says 08/09. I have been reading what I can on this thread (A LOT of good info) but can't really find what im looking for. If I bolt the entire drivetrain from tranny back into my car, will it work? R160 on the 07's? What, if any, differences are there between the 07 and 08/09 6mt? Any info is much appreciated.

• Moderators
I have an '07 spec.b drivetrain in my car ('05 obxt). Like nightmaresmk mentioned, just make sure you get the rear diff as well, as the '07 final drive / diff is unique from the 08/09 spec.b drivetrains. While the drive ratio is different, the rear diff from an '07 spec.b will still be an r180.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 4 weeks later...
Where do you people get your Spec B axles from? They don't exist, I can't find them, I'd have better luck finding a live dinosaur. :spin::spin::spin:

Dealer only Item, ( 07-09 Spec,B Rear axles).

Answered this back at post `1572

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4596594&postcount=1572

Another option, start on page 120, post 1797

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 1 month later...

just wanted to share my swap input...

i have 2 tanks through the new setup and kinda have love hate...

i have recipe b with 06 seutp and r180, still working out the bugs, i have alot of chatter in my drivetrain. dccd not installed yet. got the dccd manual.

i am crusing at 70mph and hovering around 2800-2900rpm

the stock 6mt shifter is like 1 mile long throw. so i put in a new shifter. makes my driving experience alot better.

i do notice i have to shift in traffic alot more... ALOT...

engagement point is really at the top of the pedal throw. exedy stage 1 with LWSMFW, somethign that is very weird for me. need to find some solutions.

i am also adding pictures of my gas mileage. i commute with my car daily... actually driving about 250 a week average? heavy traffic usually and alot of local driving.

yes i have 210k miles on my car...

my mpg average bumped up from 18.5mpg to 25+... these numbers are off my car meter. trip A i use for the current gas tank, went 250+ before light came on and filled up. usually clicks on at 200-220 miles. trip B is how long i went since last oil change. i have not changed my driving habits...

please keep in mind the trip b mileage has been climbing since my last 2 tanks! usually around 18-19mpg.

the mileage gain makes it worth the swap, i hate to say, driving experience might need some getting used to. but over all okay. i think once i can adjust the engagement point more to the center... even alittle... it is all about just getting used to the extra shifting.

20140711_182757.thumb.jpg.87406c836a8b9608ee76f7a53bb00afc.jpg

20140711_182807.thumb.jpg.eff49fe495be1764162b27e30a5b8544.jpg

20140711_184903.thumb.jpg.91cb5bbcb4474db3bc3bf343b46d5dbe.jpg

Edited by faded1004

just wanted to share my swap input...

i have 2 tanks through the new setup and kinda have love hate...

i have recipe b with 06 seutp and r180, still working out the bugs, i have alot of chatter in my drivetrain. dccd not installed yet. got the dccd manual.

i am crusing at 70mph and hovering around 2800-2900rpm

the stock 6mt shifter is like 1 mile long throw. so i put in a new shifter. makes my driving experience alot better.

i do notice i have to shift in traffic alot more... ALOT...

engagement point is really at the top of the pedal throw. exedy stage 1 with LWSMFW, somethign that is very weird for me. need to find some solutions.

i am also adding pictures of my gas mileage. i commute with my car daily... actually driving about 250 a week average? heavy traffic usually and alot of local driving.

yes i have 210k miles on my car...

my mpg average bumped up from 18.5mpg to 25+... these numbers are off my car meter. trip A i use for the current gas tank, went 250+ before light came on and filled up. usually clicks on at 200-220 miles. trip B is how long i went since last oil change. i have not changed my driving habits...

please keep in mind the trip b mileage has been climbing since my last 2 tanks! usually around 18-19mpg.

the mileage gain makes it worth the swap, i hate to say, driving experience might need some getting used to. but over all okay. i think once i can adjust the engagement point more to the center... even alittle... it is all about just getting used to the extra shifting.

if you actually getting 25 mpg you should easily get 400 miles per tank.

if you getting 250 from full to light on your getting like 15-17 mpg

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

if you actually getting 25 mpg you should easily get 400 miles per tank.

if you getting 250 from full to light on your getting like 15-17 mpg

i am sure there are alot of differences between car to car... and again... i am only posting what my car is saying... not what i have calculated and what not... that can come in later once i get all the bugs fixed.

Some good news from Russia for those, who want to get R180 on their B13 legacy but for some reason can't get Spec B axles.

We successfully installed R180 on 03' JDM legacy GT(B13 started from 2003 in japan), using pre-5*114 axles from 03' JDM GDB STI(30 splines on both ends of the inner shaft, AFAIK it's the same as US pre-5*114). We used outer CV joints from (you must get mentally ready) hyundai elantra. P/N MEYLE 37-14 498 0000. One car is running them with IHI VF42 for at least 50000 kms without faults, other just got them on.

Splines count:

LGT hub - 25

STI inner shaft - 30.

Swap is a direct bolt-on, CV joints went in as if they were manufactured for that exact reason.

Don't know the situation with parts in US, but here it's almost impossible to get your hands on used spec B axles, and for new ones you have to wait a month and pay ~$1200.

STI axles are easy to find wherever you want, and usual price is $300 for pair. Meyle CV's are $100 for pair and can be found in any shop.

9080978s-960.jpg

As far as I can tell Meyle doesn't import that kit to the US (talked to their US rep today).

You can get Elantra axles for around $50 if you want to rip them apart and use the outer splines, though I'm not sure exactly what year to use if that matters.

Driveshaft question? does ours float or click into the transmission?I have like a 1/2" between clicking in. it is fully engage and the vehicle moves on it's one.

I thought it was an issue with my spec b driveshaft compared to Outback drop collar.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, here is my update. I have had my 05 STi 6 Speed in for about 10k miles.

Here was my recipe: 05 STi 6MT, 05 STi rear diff, Spec B Rear Axles, LGT Front axles, 4EAT Driveshaft.

I also did a whole host of other upgrades at the time which greatly change how the swap feels to me: SpecB Rear Diff Carrier, Whiteline Diff Carrier Bushings(front and rear), Torque Solutions Driveshaft bushings(aluminum), Whiteline trans crossmember bushings, Cusco Trans and Motor Mounts, Kartboy Shifter Bushings, and shift linkage pivot bushings, Perrin Pitch Stop Mount, Cobb STi Short Shifter set at shortest height and throw. I also did a ACT StreetLite Flywheel, and ACT XTSS clutch kit with Braided SS Clutch line.

The only reason to give such an extensive parts list is to identify that my experience is very different from a mostly stock vehicle having a 6MT swap in that it is a very stiff ride, and lots of NVH(not exaggerating lots).

It is quite nice to drive, though I echo the need to shift frequently. I moved to the city not long before I did the swap, and I have found that there is a huge increase in the number of shifts needed to get up to the flow of traffic.

The only warning I would give about this swap is this: Consider carefully if you want a lightweight flywheel with a 6 speed. My reason is that the 6MT is already a close ratio 1-4. I have to shift very fast with my ACT Streetlite flywheel to smooth my shifts, unless I double-clutch and rev match.

That being said, I am interested in whether something is possible. I am aware that some of the STi's came with a 3.54 in the rear differential. In theory, could I swap out for a 3.54 gearing in the rear, and have the front diff re-geared to 3.54 to match the rear diff? I haven't found any data on anyone doing this, so either it doesn't exist, or I am not very good at searching.

Any thoughts?

Bought a 70K 08 Spec B drivetrain. It includes everything from the engine aft, complete clutch and hydraulic system, starter, front axles, shifter linkage, lever, and surround/e-brake, trans cross-member, driveshaft, entire rear sub-frame with Spec B R180 diff, diff carrier and alxes, aluminum trailing and suspension arms (also have front aluminum bits too), rotors, brakes. Picking up at the dock tomorrow.

Thinking I'll pull the entire drivetrain out of the 05 and just bolt this in. Should have everything I need. Will likely resurface the flywheel and order an OEM STI clutch kit before installing. Other than that, it should be good to go. Am I inadvertently missing anything?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -