LegacyGT.com

2006 spec.B Stereo Replacement???

My wife put a chipped CD into the changer and now it won't eject any CD's at all (sucks, since a couple are overdue books on CD).

I've gotten the unit out and it's on the workbench. I'm going to take a stab at getting into it and figuring out what went wrong, or at least get the darn CD's out.

My question is this - I noticed that the digital climate control system is an integral part of the stereo. If the CD player is shot, I'll want to replace it. Is there anybody out there that has replaced the factory stereo in one of these...or a Subaru like it? What does it entail?

HELP?!?!?!?

Yup. Lots.

Search the Interior/Audio discussions.

As you've found, it's pretty easy to get the whole HU/Climate control setup out. You can get a whole new HU and swap it in easy. Just swapping the CD changer will be more difficult if you can find just that component.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50364

There are lots of other threads about this too. This was the first and is likely the largest with the most info.

Bottom line is that any HU from '05 to '08 (or even '09 I think) will be plug n play.

Cheers!

Yup. Lots.

Search the Interior/Audio discussions.

As you've found, it's pretty easy to get the whole HU/Climate control setup out. You can get a whole new HU and swap it in easy. Just swapping the CD changer will be more difficult if you can find just that component.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50364

There are lots of other threads about this too. This was the first and is likely the largest with the most info.

Bottom line is that any HU from '05 to '08 (or even '09 I think) will be plug n play.

Cheers!

+1 Where's the "Thanks" button?

Sold: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #104 of 500

goneskiian, thanks for the info, that will definitely help when dealing with the dealership - as I can possibly try to get an '07 HU instead of replacing the '06 HU. It seems that Panasonic will sell refurbished HU's, as long as you have one to give in trade.

To update the story, I got the HU apart, got the CD changer out (pretty cool system in there - the CD's are stacked up, and when you select a CD, it splits the stack below your CD, an arm slides in with the laser, and voila!)

Got the old CD's out, including the one with the nasty gash in it. Got it all put back together, and now the CD player won't work at all. I think I might have missed a connection. I'll pull it out again next week and double check it.

In the meantime, I'll start scouring the www for a new(used) HU.

Archived