LegacyGT.com

Another LGT dies.... engine transplant in '01 2.5RS?

Sad day :icon_sad: today.... just heard the news from my adjuster that my LGT is done for good. They said she is 81% of it's total value and they don't want to fix it. I find it hard to believe. :mad:

I'm not ready to part with her just yet as i have a few questions that i could get some help with.... at least some direction.

On the bright side, :) I currently have a '01 2.5RS 4 door... the engine is coming near to the end of its life. With that being said, i thought of doing a transplant of the EJ255 motor and transmission into the 2.5RS.

Question is, is this possible and has it been done before? I'm assuming it has been done. If so, where can i get some information on it?

What will transfer over and what will not?

What will some of the challenges be if done?

Once i have figure it out, i may think about parting out parts for sale so hold your horses until i figure out what options i have first.

Any suggestions and comments welcomed.

Thanks for readinghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/te7y7y9a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/zatate9a.jpg

image.jpg.9b448cf7254543683e5659dca31d8d85.jpg

Yes, deer hunting season started early this year in WI haha

I must say that I didn't hit the deer. The deer hit me. From the damages, it looks as if the deer tried to escape by hurdling over my car but didn't stand the chance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chaz517, I agree that it shouldn't be total either. But what can I do when my insurance says it can no longer be fixed. By all means if it can still be fixed I'd rather much have it fixed, even with a salvage title.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no, they won't allow me to

This is a good reason why you should be choosy about your insurance companies. You don't want the guys who have the lowest price. There are coverage gaps, and on top of that you run into this kind of rigamorole because you aren't paying for real options.

I hope you start shopping for a better carrier, as most will allow a second opinion, if you don't agree with the adjuster's call.

That said, you should get it checked out and make sure the frame is straight before you decide to repair it. From here, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to piece together a new hood, fenders, etc.. For way less than the 81% of value they've decided it would take to have it put back together.

that's pretty bogus. Definitely can pull some stuff apart and really get a good idea if the frame can be repaired. It does look like it probably can be, so even if it has a salvage title in the end it should be worth it to fix yourself.

I doubt the frame has any damage, it was just a deer.

See if you can have a body shop check it out.

Where do you live?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
So i took it to a bodyshop and they said that regardless of their estimate, it wouldn't matter because either way, my insurance will still total it. Is that right?

Sounds about right, but if there estimate is reasonable you can use that estimate to decide on whether it's worth it to take the payout, buy the car back, and then have it repaired.

Also, prepare to argue with insurance over the payout (value of the car) if you haven't done so already. Get 'comps' to present to show similar cars and their sale prices if possible.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I was considering different options such as doing a engine transplant into a new LGT body. Is it worth it?

I found a sedan LGT not too far from where I am that needs a engine. They are asking $4,900.... a bit pricy for a car without an engine don't ya think?

the ad here: http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/4582258990.html

So i took it to a bodyshop and they said that regardless of their estimate, it wouldn't matter because either way, my insurance will still total it. Is that right?

The insurance company will probably total it but you can buy it back and have it fixed.

Because the car is over 7 years old in WI you won't even get issued a salvage title.

Similar situation happened with my Honda years back. I was in a minor collision and the insurance company totaled it. Got a check for $4500, bought the car back for $1000 and got it repaired for $1000.

I was considering different options such as doing a engine transplant into a new LGT body. Is it worth it?

I found a sedan LGT not too far from where I am that needs a engine. They are asking $4,900.... a bit pricy for a car without an engine don't ya think?

the ad here: http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/4582258990.html

$4,900 seems high for a 05' sedan with 160k and tan interior. Good shells go for about 4k though.

You have a wagon with black interior, I'd fix what you have.

RS swap would be a bit problematic.

Your GT has something WRX's didn't get until 2006: an engine immobilizer that's integrated into the BIU (body integrating unit).

PCM won't work without the BIU, BIU won't work without a coded key and other stuff to do (like run the dash illumination, HVAC, etc.). HVAC won't swap over to the other car without a lot of re-engineering (although it would be stupid cool to have dual zone auto HVAC in an 01 RS)

It could be done but waaaay more complicated than it needs to be. I'd write that idea off unless you can find a good non-BIU/non-immob. swap harness and ECU and WRX/STi/FXT/Baja turbo intake.

$4900 is stupid money for a dead engine GT. I'd put it closer to $2500.

How much was the estimate for? The problem that I run into is that once you add the salvage value to the estimate it makes it hard to not total a car, especially something like this that salvage yards will pay top dollar for. I agree with other people, get it to reputable body shop and see what they can do it for, if they can do it for the settlement great, if it's a little more, might be worth it to you or if they can do it for less, then even better.

Archived