LegacyGT.com

Meguiar's Ultra Cut Compound Question

So, I just finished doing a complete exterior detail of my STi. Phew, started at 10am and finished around 6. That was a long day. Now, my one problem during my ordeal, using the Meguiar's M-105 compound was a bitch to remove. I was using my Porter Cable polisher for application. I've used it before, and thought it was just the car. Wrong! It took some serious elbow grease to get the compound off the finish.

It has great reviews on Autogeek, and quite frankly, it did a hell of a job on the scratches and swirls. But the time it took to get it off doesn't seem like the reward is worth it.

All cutting compounds this difficult to remove?

M105 (or ultimate compound) shouldn't be so difficult to remove. Is it still a little bit wet when you're wiping it off? With M105 you can work it until it is dry and starts to dust up, this makes removal much easier. What kind of pad were you using with your Porter Cable?

If I had to make a suggestion, I would say try using the Meguiars microfiber finishing discs with two parts M105 to one part D300. The addition of D300 helps increase the working time significantly while also making it easier to wipe off the panel.

grovlet is right about the Hyper Compound Spray. Its a very agreeable product with a shallow learning curve, although it is not very aggressive in terms of cut. The hybrid wool pads are good, but for use on a Porter Cable I would again suggest using a microfiber pad or the Lake Country thin purple foamed wool pads. The shorter pile on these pads as compared to the Hybrid wool pads will yield a greater cut and cleaner finish. The increased cut is due to less force from the machine being absorbed by the "squirm" of the pile, and the better finish is a result of the product being worked down completely and evenly.

'03 Forester X 5mt - Engine Seized at 262k miles.

'05 LGT Wagon 6mt -MotoIQ.com Project Vehicle

'13 VW Touareg TDI - Daily Torque Monster.

Thanks for the input.

For the compound I used the Lake Country CCS orange pad. For the polish I used the grey. While at first I was doing small sections and it was a little wet, but it wasn't doing a great job. I then kept running the P/C over the compound and it was just spinning it off. It wasnt perfect, so when I tried removing it with a microfiber cloth it adhered to the finish like glue.

Archived