LegacyGT.com

blinking cruise indicator, but no CEL

ilh

I had a strange thing happen this morning. I was using cruise control on the highway, got off the highway and deactivated cruise with the brakes, and still had the CRUISE light on. This is normal. While doing some spirited driving on wet roads, I had a bit of wheel spin going around a deserted turn, and then my CRUISE light started blinking. This ws was wierd because I didn't have cruise engaged. Attempting to turn cruise off didn't eliminate the blinking. Stopping the engine did reset things. At no point did I get a CEL.

Anyone else see this? Did ABS sensors detecting wheelspin put the cruise control system into disabled state, even though I wasn't actually using cruise control at the time? I guess when cruise is on, but not activated, it is still monitoring for wheel spin?

I did search, but it seems that in most cases a blinking cruise control indicator is associated with a CEL.

--Lee

You probably have a pending or 'soft' trouble code set in your ECU. The CEL won't turn on until the condition associated with that trouble code has been detected for two consecutive driving cycles. OBD-II regulations dictate when the ECU should turn on the MIL. However there are no regulations governing the Cruise Control and it appears the ECU is very aggressive about shutting down Cruise Control at the first hint of a problem.

A good OBD-II scan tool can read pending or 'soft' trouble codes and clear them. An AccessPort cannot.

• 7 years later...

I'm going to bump this very old thread as I'm having a similar issue. Foreground, bought the car with a 6MT swap and Evo Brembo conversion recently. Never get a CEL or ABS light.

Thought my cruise disable was due to a bad or mis-shimmed NSS switch. Swapped and reshimmed the switch, now the cruise will shut off after driving over 60mph. In addition when using CC it bucks/surges. Logged the NSS, it's working properly.

Thinking my issue is now ABS related. Local shop let me use their BCM scanner, it saw 3 ABS codes but were "undefined". Decided to clear them, no change to cruise shutoff. Ran around the block, ABS signals are all there but they definitely seem to fluctuate relative to each other.

Anyone know how close each wheel sensor should read relative to the others? I'm going to remove and clean each sensor shortly but thought I'd put out some feelers.

• 3 weeks later...

You beat me to it, just found this thread, I was thinking front wheel bearings as I'm reading.

Glad you figured it out.

Also good job using the search button.

For the first question, yes, wheel spin can casue the ABS to get confused sometimes, as specially if the road is wet, or snowy and there may be crud up inside that pick-up area.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived