LegacyGT.com

Squeaky rear suspension

kaieiru

hi bros,

i've recently been hearing this sqeaking sound coming from the rear right of the car when i go through a hump, when the suspension is unloading (especially loud when there's a passenger on board)..

the sound also occurs during hard cornering... instead of a long squeak, it produces short interval squeaks...

any ideas where it maybe coming from? could it be the grease on the joints running out? or is it a sign of suspension failure?

thanks...

• 1 month later...
i just had this happen on my car, exact same squeaking when going over uneven surfaces at short intervals

it came from my passenger rear. turns out it was just the dust boot, easy fix but annoying as hell

What did you do to your dust boot that fixed squeaking?

I have the same problem with mine over speedbumps and exiting my driveway as the rear end squats down. It is a combination of a squeak and a crunch sound. Would this be the dust boot making the noise and is there a quick fix to get rid of this or should I just do the Bilstein/Rallitek combo? I only have 44k on them now.

• 2 years later...
  • Mega Users
I have the same problem with mine over speedbumps and exiting my driveway as the rear end squats down. It is a combination of a squeak and a crunch sound. Would this be the dust boot making the noise and is there a quick fix to get rid of this or should I just do the Bilstein/Rallitek combo? I only have 44k on them now.

bump I have the same problem where r the vets

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

same problem- been to the dealer 5 or 6 times for it. They replaced sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, struts, strut mounts, lubricated everything multiple times and still the noise is there.

Now after spending approximately $2000 under warranty they say its normal. :confused:

Btw, Stock bilstien suspension on 2008 3.0R

• 1 month later...
same problem- been to the dealer 5 or 6 times for it. They replaced sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, struts, strut mounts, lubricated everything multiple times and still the noise is there.

Now after spending approximately $2000 under warranty they say its normal. :confused:

Btw, Stock bilstien suspension on 2008 3.0R

Same car and I have the sound on the driver's side rear. Every time I go over speed bumps I hear it and it's driving me nuts.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Bumping this. The sound makes me feel like my Legacy is a POS. It's much more noticeable in cold weather, but when it's 70+ I hardly hear it. Does anyone know what this would cost to fix? I only have 46k on my car, but I do enjoy accelerating quick so I don't know if that's why I'm already due. I just don't want to take it somewhere only to get hustled since it's only my driver side rear that makes the sound.

• 2 weeks later...

just a note, noise won't be present if it's wet

need to find time to swap the rear struts and see

left rear strut lower bushing seems to be slightly worn...but i'll try and see if the noise will shift to right when i swap the struts

• 3 months later...
I have this same issue in my 05 LGT wagon. I think I have it isolated to the rear right side, but I can't pinpoint which connection is making the noise. The squeaking does go away when it is wet, and I just changed both the rear struts with OEM Subaru ones. The noise is still there, and I am about to just replace all the suspension bushings and both end links back there as a nuclear option lol.

• 4 months later...
I'm having this issue as well, not there when it's wet. I believe it's the trailing arm bushing coming from the bottom of the rear knuckle where it attaches toward the front of the car. I jacked the car up removed the wheel, placed a jackstand under the knuckle and listened. This bushing seemed to rotate in place which would cause the squeaking, I need to replace mine to see if it fixes the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump, Glad I'm not the only one with this going on. I thought it was just because my 05 LGT will be turning 200K before Thanksgiving. Recently, rear shocks have been replaced with OEM, rear brakes were replaced with powerstop rotors and ceramic pads, and LHR wheel bearing by dealer (although, it is already making noise with less than 1k miles on it). I have also replaced the sway bar bushings on the rear. From my domestic hot rod days when we would have something like this we would use Slick50 rubber lube and all would be good... tried that this time with only temporary relief.

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears!

Slight update for me. I do have an aftermarket rear underbody brace, where the camber adjustment has two chrome-plated ball joints (one on each end). The chrome on one of the joints flaked off and rust formed where the ring around the joint rubs. I used a shit ton of WD-40 to clean off all the oxidation, and put some bearing grease on the joint. It did not make a noise for a long time, then I believe it got drenched in some mud puddles, not only washing the grease off, but making the joint dirty. The noise came back, so I WD-40'd it again, but did not put grease on it. It has not made a noise since.

Coincidence? You decide.

• 4 months later...
I'm gonna resurrect this thread... so I just had a set (used) of cobb lowering springs with stock struts installed... looks perfect rides awsome. But after maybe 50 miles I started to hear a squeaking grind noise coming from the rear right (passenger) side going over bumps. I mean it's not terrible but certainly annoying. Maybe I'll try some wd-40, or some lithium grease in a couple places and see if that helps. It's odd cause mine will not squeak when wet as well. Every time I take my car through a touchles car wash and get the under carriage spray no noise for a day then it seems as soon as "something" dries out the squeak comes back.....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived