LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug wires

Aren't all Subarus now coil-on-plug? In other words, no spark plug wires. Could be mistaken regarding NA Subarus.

2.5i NAs are different. We've got that centralized coil pack deal -- it's still fully electronic but not one-coil-per-cylinder.

2005 with 100k miles on it!?!??!? whoa.

i just hit 15k on my 2005.

any major issues along the way?

My parents made me sell my truck before i could buy a car for college... and my grandparents put in a nice little kickback to buy a car... but they put so many guidelines on what i could or couldn't buy... i was basically narrowed down to an automatic FWD or AWD. My dad kept trying to talk me into a Honda (eek). But then i found my 05 2.5i at one of the local dealerships... i bought it the day i saw it. 91k miles on it when i bought it. She runs like a champ, the first thing i did was an oil change and swapped out the spark plugs. The only other thing i've really done is my cold air intake. The only thing is the baffles in my mufflers are coming loose so there is a putter and if i rev it to a certain point (somewhere between 2-3k) you can hear the baffle pinging. I'm going to try to get a bunch of maintenance done on it before winters full onset comes:

swap out diff gear oils

Plug Wires

Timing belt (we'll see if i dare wait for spring)... or might have the dealership do that one.. i've heard things.

rotate my tires again

possible tranny flush

possible radiator flush

who knows what else. hahaha, but yeah, that's more or less the story of my vehicles. not bad for an 18 yr old to have an 05 leggy, i love her... but plan to upgrade to a GT in a couple of years (depending on how Kettering Uni. treats me on my pocket)

I got NGK inductively-wound copper wires with silicone insulation at SparkPlugs.com and I've had no problems with them. I don't trust carbon-string wires - I always put in copper at the first opportunity.

i tried looking around the site but coudnl't get to the plug wires??? i'm probably just retarded but do you have a link?

Magnecor wires have a solid conductor as well. Looks like they recently added some of their KV85 (8.5mm) wires to their listings, too under part number 45456 for the 2005+ 2.5L's. List price is $145, a quick search found a $97 listing and I am sure you could find them even cheaper with some more searching. Just my $0.02.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same car with about 85k on it. I just did plugs yesterday. Wires are $59 at dealer, I thought I'd look a bit first.

I'll post if I find anything.

Before winter sets in, I'm also doing coolant, atf, front and rear diff, bleed brakes, anything else?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
2.5i NAs are different. We've got that centralized coil pack deal -- it's still fully electronic but not one-coil-per-cylinder.

So I guess following the spark plug install walkthrough on this site is a bad idea? Since its for the LGT? Does anyone know of a good walkthrough for a spark plug install similar to our cars? I've never tried changing out the spark plugs, may do so at 90k.

You can use the walkthrough, I did. The process is easier on our cars since there is no turbo in the way. :rolleyes: Use the walkthrough instructions to take out the airbox and battery. Follow the wires from the top down, and you'll see there are little tabs at the coil pack end. Pull firmly....it's like uncorking a bottle. The spark plugs are WAAAAYYY down in the hole. Be careful not to lose your spark plug extensions down in there....that really slowed me down a lot. :redface:

Archived