LegacyGT.com

GT'd('s) 2005 Legacy GT

GTd

Finally became a Subaru owner this February. Found this sweet '05 on Craigslist and drove out to nab it. Owner stated that it had driveline issues and seemed to be the transmission speed sensor/harness.

00X0X_lIQIyV1FApj_600x450.jpg

Once we had made the trip up there the car showed the problems I expected with that issue. Craziest thing when it hit a small patch of snow/ice on the trailer and couldn't get past it... no AWD obviously.

IMG_20150226_184303.jpg

Get it home and just leave it at the shop for the time being until the parts come in.

It was not anything with the sensor. Up on the lift taking the speedometer to normal speeds left the rear driveshaft spinning fast enough to move the rear wheels 200 mph. Rear wheels weren't moving though :eek: Differential is shot. No noise, just shot. Took a trip out to a salvage yard and got a replacement used diff. Get diff in and trans flushed, needs bearing. Get bearing needs CVs. Upon a bit further inspection last month needs another bearing, control arm bushings, and brakes. Several hundred dollars later it's almost up to complete snuff. I know this car has had a fun life so far! Engine is great though.

This happened a while back. Had me regretting not checking the car better. How could I buy one with a bad engine???

2015-04-05.jpg

The culprit

Factory hose clamp gave up on its existence.

2015-04-06.jpg

Super happy with my first MAAAAD Subaru. Coming soon is new window tint.

IMG_20150312_164310398_HDR.jpg

Current window tint was displaying streaking on the inside of window. Removed factory material from window slides and added "felt blanket" over top. Sorry I didn't take more pics during the process. Definitely an easy and worthwhile use of time. Super cheap too. I didn't want my new tint coming soon to turn out the same way.

2015-05-08.jpg

congrats on the purchase, atleast it seems like the issues were something you could fix!

Thanks!

Everything so far has been relatively simple, just not all that convenient! No real time for modifications yet.

Luckily have tons of help from a friend with Subaru knowledge and access to a lift. Really makes me hate doing anything at home after working with a lift :spin:

• 2 weeks later...
Could you detail how you swapped out the OEM stuff with the felt material? I'll do a search just in case, but thanks ahead.

Subaru's material was basically melted in place, so I cut the fabric it was attached to next to these "welds" and removed the sad remains of the original material. There was some string left hanging on so I got out my dremel and wire wheel and removed what was left.

Now, with the new felt pad, I pretty much eyeballed it for the width of the strip, then cut from the side (ending up with a shorter strip, not the entire length of the new pad) and cut that piece in half.

The sticky pad that comes on it will not hold the entire thing together. What I did was fold it over the bracket assembly (I kept the rounded rubber pad behind OEM material) to see if length was correct. Then I ran a line of superglue down one side of the felt and stuck it on the bracket. I held it in place for 30 seconds-1 minute and then stuck a chip clip on it for extra hold. After adequate drying time I folded the material over and repeated the process.

So far it has been working well, but I did not do the pads for the outer side of the glass. I don't know if this material will hold up to outside conditions...

Let me know what I need to cover in more detail. I may end up doing this again for my back windows and take pictures.

Subaru's material was basically melted in place, so I cut the fabric it was attached to next to these "welds" and removed the sad remains of the original material. There was some string left hanging on so I got out my dremel and wire wheel and removed what was left.

Now, with the new felt pad, I pretty much eyeballed it for the width of the strip, then cut from the side (ending up with a shorter strip, not the entire length of the new pad) and cut that piece in half.

The sticky pad that comes on it will not hold the entire thing together. What I did was fold it over the bracket assembly (I kept the rounded rubber pad behind OEM material) to see if length was correct. Then I ran a line of superglue down one side of the felt and stuck it on the bracket. I held it in place for 30 seconds-1 minute and then stuck a chip clip on it for extra hold. After adequate drying time I folded the material over and repeated the process.

So far it has been working well, but I did not do the pads for the outer side of the glass. I don't know if this material will hold up to outside conditions...

Let me know what I need to cover in more detail. I may end up doing this again for my back windows and take pictures.

So there was only ONE bracket causing the streaks? I'll have to check this out. My driver side door also creaks when I roll down the window, so I might be able to figure that one out as well after removing the door panel.

Only one was causing noticeable streaks on both front windows, but I did that process on both interior brackets on both front windows, four brackets in total.

• 9 months later...

Sold the Legacy to pay off some bills. Of course right after I did a bunch of cleaning and aesthetic maintenance..

On the bright side I was able to put myself in another Subaru, err, Saabaru, on a budget ;-) Already been having a great time driving and cleaning this one, first mod in order is tint of course.

I will have another turbo Subie. Next one will be nicer than the last!

WnO_15s3229TnNPpTMQL7wdqoRa5rC07pEYM6nHiHJ9n4DPfcOxzrBwOCF3Ain2WfFi8HkNGUV4YC5sRCzwLJY868ycZpp5_kDXTMBRu46XFHZFtFgo9S7Mi5U_m0mTHGMS0wmcaRFX-JAutmqd3iK_DKZy5SPuccxyqcpdPPHTq6b-i71dxTpS3mqN9aQxFjw85tdwt8Mee_93WexxSBu0TFPBGC3zb4r1JC296fDKasJyaoqJToNZ6vnkxZTc0wNyOG1GSqk6ZQCZZVF7whpMXn4ybgzFjc6vDL-WaE1z8hLvppeDdT-_Smc6Pp7H7BN7myM7EFgQdr2gZkB_Axg9dL5s7JpAhoEixxt9_iIRVNDifpz1hkUa7ihJ-EBaI8LANSfiWJjKi-Ij2Kj120s85K1Qx3aTjvhwsFmzpwwx97e-7aE2RPE75VrzSisLwA3kCwmEZFwmGnumhqq1HSxoKCx2nJM3EjnIYj7X1FbBB4iQduX6ateE9tIXPBjJf_RNAGLqfeMpwtwuYf3kvSvnmIrHj55hTYNm4hlIkvYFozYBDv6atWWWE_qEeDqVS8uBH=w1727-h971-no

5bEGp5iDwYbTZ36MvKPyI1NXuN8V88ZCfsohOPCq4CAAEoMJsws3nv1N_Uj6iZqkTR9uy6Xy6wavA3fyrb1flEcsVzWJYYtQ-aFEc7Fp1MGbjgmVaaKgwJeoLwzkJfYFRVK9P6bdh4x4LiaYJnIqqzJAKrghcNi6DZDYRQZSVnmjDKLxKHRbpzOr_TBz5IawZ3TNNI7XA1omP65UNDfDjJSYSC45Gl_Gx7cu6D8WfDeLiXAtPevSYMFCJwuIxYmy0N3sje6E0zrMQ37sQU_arxlOrc1Qn29kzW_MBmtVQ3Q57v5-C79As6THNQGXduScD3jKWjIfZFqJyODtvKQkJ4AmbDdCNw9vu0J3KGLscTMPZU_PJ3k9w-CI3z_hYDEgGorrg8jeRtDniZb_lZp1atlVr_izqkhjumaADZMRJatuX_3KfQlIwQwIgvUfwumhHvGkbseHieqEwPVkLrl9qIqzTrpwphgre9R2nCNdtjuWkNGyP_u5Z9V-7VltclPWjGISS542arLXeODiTkNkpxDKwEpXs_JlYmUTI5tqlDNEZ6pEvpTKQ3vixHvIfunOCfzn=w1727-h971-no

Archived