LegacyGT.com

Slipping Clutch..?

It seems my clutch is slipping a bit around 3000 RPMs. However I only have 11,000 miles, and I have never auto-x, dragged, really "race" (..per se), or even launched. I'm only stage 1 with TDC tune, and I do have warranty (retrospect, this seems useless...) It seems harder to get the clutch to engage....sometimes at 2000 rpms my clutch just isn't there, sometimes it drops dead in.

Something normal due to the weak LGT's clutch or should I go to the dealer and ask about it?

clutch got glazed

3 things factor into this:

1. Clutch is a bit weak from the factory

2. Tune is putting you over the clutches rating

3. You slip your clutch a bit too much

If it only slipped in 5th then you could probably blame the hardware...but since it's doing it that bad in 3rd, it's mostly your driving habits

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

So what does that mean? It will go back to normal after a while?

I guess number 3 is somewhat my fault as well. I usually get stuck in traffic (in Georgia...go figure) on hills so i always have to give it more gas to keep it from rolling. So is engaging at abt 2000 rpm bad..?

normal...depends on how bad you glazed it. you'll smell the stink...let it cool and you should be fine. even stage 1 you sould be ok unless your letting the clutch out too slow while getting heavy on the gas.

You always want to make your clutch application short. Not instant (this can damage your drivetrain), but smooth and quick. If you're holding the clutch halfway down often and for extended periods of time then it will burn down much faster.

From what you say, it sounds like you need to replace your clutch (unless it's glazed... I've never encountered that before).

Maybe I'm just lucky but I have 36K mile on my car and the clutch is fine. 33K miles with mods (mostly Stage 2), and the last 2-3 weeks with 355 whp and my stock clutch has not given me any problems. Been to the drag strip a few times and launched it hard while there and I'm run a track day as well too. I'm just sensible with my car on the street. I guess I should knock on wood now :icon_wink

Archived