LegacyGT.com

5MT issue?

Pawlwawl06

Got a question for you all, lately I've noticed the following:

If I'm sitting at a standstill in neutral then put it in 1st gear, then slowly let off the clutch pedal while giving it gas, the car starts to bouce along for a few seconds, then takes off. This does not happen every time I go to accelerate, it only happens when I barely give it any gas. Also on top of that, sometimes the revs jump up to about 3k rpms before I can completely let off the clutch and accelerate. I'm just wondering if it may be signs of clutch slipping.

I know its not the typical hesitation issue that many complain about, I have already figured out how to avoid that.

A good test for a slipping clutch is to be in 5th gear at about 50MPH or so. Just above where the motor would begin to lug a little. Then, begin to accelerate. If the car slowly begins to pull, then the clutch is good. If it the engines revs fairly quickly without the car accelerating, then the clutch is on it's way out.

Sounds like the clutch. Put it in 5th gear at a dead stop with the car running. Slowly let the clutch out and if it does not stall its your clutch.

I've been hearing people say that since I had my old Ford Ranger.

If your clutch is THAT bad, then I hope you would have noticed before that.

Easy way to tell. Pay attention.

If you give it gas, and the engine revs, but you don't move, it's the clutch. That's the only area of slip.

What do you mean the car starts to "bounce along"? And when you say that you have to rev it to 3k before it'll start to move, is that with the clutch completely out?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

...And when you say that you have to rev it to 3k before it'll start to move, is that with the clutch completely out?

No, that is with the clutch pedal about 75% out. If i keep giving it more gas, the RPMs continue to rise while I'm slowly letting off the clutch, but I don't accelerate. Its hard to explain, maybe I'm just giving it too much gas in certain situations.

Why are you revving it that high with the clutch still engaged? Why aren't you releasing the clutch fully?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

By bounce you mean that it shudders a little? I have the same thing every now and then. I've been trying to figure it out but I have no idea yet. The clutch isn't slipping in any gear either.

My car was doing this and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I had a new clutch and flywheel 5k miles ago, so I was certain it wasn't that. When I took it in to get some suspension work done, they mentioned I had a transmission leak coming from the shifter seal. No big deal, right? Shifter seal is a $7 part.

When they took off the cover to check out the transfer gear, bearings, etc., the transfer gear had some broken teeth, one of the bearings on the transfer gear was toast, and there were other metal parts floating around in the box too. The gear oil was a nice dark grey metallic color. The car drove for a month and probably would have kept on going, who know how long? But I travel 75 miles a day and couldn't risk catastrophic failure. Got the tranny rebuilt.

I hope you don't have the same problem as me.

Also another thing I've noticed, if I'm coasting in any gear and I hit the gas, the car slightly shudders, then proceeds to accelerate. This happens on a regular basis now. Also, seems as if the car hesitates and slows down at certain RPMs.

I just hit 55k miles yesterday. Ok so Im thinking that the clutch is still in good shape, I tried what you all suggested above.

Spark plugs were changed during my 30k mile service.

EDIT: I have noticed some fluid on my transmission, I'll look at it more closely tomorrow...

I ask again, why are you giving it so much throttle with the clutch partially pushed in?

So you rev it to 3000 RPM AND give it more gas while depressing the clutch?

Judging by that, I think it's a clutch issue. 55k and driving like that will definitely wear the clutch.

So you rev it to 3000 RPM AND give it more gas while depressing the clutch?

Judging by that, I think it's a clutch issue. 55k and driving like that will definitely wear the clutch.

Yep! My stocker went at 67k. I had the textbook slip when I accelerated in 5th gear at 50-60mph.

If you do have a trans leak you should check the transfer gear and it's bearings while your in there replacing the seal. It's never a bad idea to cover all the bases.

One time I shifted into first at 3k on a hill... even that was enough for stinky clutch. ew.

I have a question though, a little off topic (sorry) If I'm drifting along at 5mph, is it better (or less worse) to shift into 1st or 2nd? (Even though shifting into second drops RPM's to around 1k... which is a little low), but the 1st gear is more fragile right?

Fragility has nothing to do with it.

It doesn't matter which gear you select really. For me, it depends on the situation. If there is the possibility that I'll need to accelerate quickly (like crossing train-tracks, or an intersection), then I'll be in 1st. If I'm parking lot cruising, I'd probably choose second.

Ok I looked under my trans. today in the school parking lot, and I did notice a lot of fluid collecting on the bottom of it, its a really dark almost black color(mixed with some grime and dirt from the road). My 60k mile maintenance is due in 5k miles, so I will address it then.

Or... address it now, and leave it out of the 60k service. Or do the 60k early.

To me, a car is a big investment. To KNOW there is a problem and just "drive through it" is foolhardy. 5000 miles on a transmission that is OBVIOUSLY in need of repair is asking for trouble.

Funny thing is I dropped it off for a week at perry subaru in norfolk when i was at 50k miles, and they didn't mention anything about it. Initially I had it in there because I thought a rod bearing was spun, but it turned out to be chatter from heat shielding...they test drove it and said there was a slight vibration from the trans, but nothing serious.

• 2 weeks later...
Also another thing I've noticed, if I'm coasting in any gear and I hit the gas, the car slightly shudders, then proceeds to accelerate. This happens on a regular basis now. Also, seems as if the car hesitates and slows down at certain RPMs.

I figured out what this was, after installing my hybrid intake the other day, the car no longer shudders like this when I hit the gas. I took out the torque box on our 2.5i intakes and replaced it with a few Spectre pipes, now the power is smooth throughout the entire RPMs.

Archived