LegacyGT.com

Did I make the right decision?

I have a '99 Outback that I love, 170,000 miles, replaced timing belt back in 2004 (I think around 100,000 mis), replaced cat converter the next year. I've done regular maintenance for the life of the car (I'm the original owner).

Thanksgiving day, I noticed a *noise" in the engine while the car was running, probably only really noticed because I had gotten OUT of the car to do something and left it running. The noise was worrisome enough that it brought me back to the car. My son and I popped the hood and looked, and of course we wouldn't know what to look for anyway....but it did sound like the noise was coming from a belt in the front of the radiator. I was very concerned, as I am a very active/busy single mom and I have only one car, so for me, my car is d@mn important. So I figured I would take it to the dealer the next morning and have them check it out.

I wondered to myself if I should have paid more attention to "listening" to the engine while running (of course I should) but I guess I've been remiss in that the last year or so. And I had it at the dealer within the past year, for a *general* checkup...and nothing was noted at that time.

Anyway, Thanksgiving night, leaving to go back home, and car would not start...turned over, but made one HELL of a ruckus trying to grab. The noise was horrible. Had several people come out and listen, in the end they all figured it had to be the timing belt slipping, or off. Of course I know that is probably the worst possible thing that could happen, and I had it towed to the dealer. Next day, they confirm the belt has slipped, not off, and the cause is the bearings *fell out* of the pulley. Of course I asked why - they told me it was just worn out...and there probably was some symptomatic *noise* that I should have noticed. And the worst news of course, is that there WAS serious internal damage. He described the damage, but honestly I don't remember enough of the details to go into it, suffice to say that there was a lot of valve damage.

2 options, (other than buying a new car) - $4600 to repair my engine, or $6300 for a rebuilt 100,000 mile warranted engine. I've dealt with these people for a long time, and I do trust them, but I just don't have the knowledge of what these things cost. He went over the pros/cons of each, and I decided, given that I prefer the safer road, to have them replace the engine. My family initially said I was nuts to put this much money into a 10 year old car, but frankly, I'm not prepared to purchase a new car yet. I'm one of those people that hates debt, and I never buy a car until I can pay half cash for it, so I was not anticipating a car purchase for another couple of years. Besides, my last car (Celica) went 240,000 before I let her go, so I'm one to drive a car as long as it is reliable for me. For the diff in the price, and given the problems that *might* appear later after a repaired engine, I figured the replacement was the best bet. But I'd like to hear some opinions from others that know more about this.

Do these costs seem reasonable? What causes the bearings to "fall out"...was this indicative of a timing belt wearing out? They said the belt itself was not the problem...it was the bearings. I just want to understand that a bit more...why, and how and could I have prevented that?

Thanks for your advice...this has put quite the damper on my Christmas, to say the least. :(

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

The whole bearings in the pulley :"fell out" business sounds like a bunch of nonsense, but timing belts to occasionally slip, the most likely culprit is a worn timing belt tensioner.

Either way, the costs for the repair or replacement are about what you would expect IF they include all labor. If they don't then you are paying too much.

As to if you made the right decision, only you can determine that, but they should be able to get you car back running again and the engine should last a long time.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear the bad news.

On the note of a new car, a while ago I bought a 1996 legacy with 89,000 miles on it for $5000. So before you spring for the new engine look at what is for sale.

On the note of timing belt, right as I was nearing 92,000 miles on my car I started to hear a strange noise coming from the front of the engine. Later that day the water pump seized up and broke the timing belt. (fortunately the 1996 and earlier 2.2l NA engines are non-interference and don't get damaged by a broken belt). So I had to be towed, and the whole 9 yards (actually 35 miles and $100...).

But if everything else in your car is in good shape, and your attached to it go for the new engine. I think $6300 is a bit steep for a high mileage rebuilt engine, I'd look around for private reputable subaru shops and see if you can get a better price.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

The whole bearings in the pulley :"fell out" business sounds like a bunch of nonsense, but timing belts to occasionally slip, the most likely culprit is a worn timing belt tensioner.

Either way, the costs for the repair or replacement are about what you would expect IF they include all labor. If they don't then you are paying too much.

As to if you made the right decision, only you can determine that, but they should be able to get you car back running again and the engine should last a long time.

Good luck.

Thanks. Well, they actually showed me where the bearings "would" be, in the pulley...but it's possible that I heard tensioner in there too. I think I was in too much shock at the time! Yes...the price does include all labor - that's a total price. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sorry to hear the bad news.

On the note of a new car, a while ago I bought a 1996 legacy with 89,000 miles on it for $5000. So before you spring for the new engine look at what is for sale.

On the note of timing belt, right as I was nearing 92,000 miles on my car I started to hear a strange noise coming from the front of the engine. Later that day the water pump seized up and broke the timing belt. (fortunately the 1996 and earlier 2.2l NA engines are non-interference and don't get damaged by a broken belt). So I had to be towed, and the whole 9 yards (actually 35 miles and $100...).

But if everything else in your car is in good shape, and your attached to it go for the new engine. I think $6300 is a bit steep for a high mileage rebuilt engine, I'd look around for private reputable subaru shops and see if you can get a better price.

I only buy new cars - I'm just afraid of what I'm getting with a used one. That said, I probably would consider a very low-mileage one, but I'm simply not able to spend time on finding a car. If I had a month to look around, then I would. But I have to have transportation, immediately. I have no options other than renting a car, and the price of that is prohibitive for more than a few days. Thanks for your advice - I appreciate it.

i've had decent luck with used cars and would probably have gone that route. i plan on driving my cars until catastrophic failure (wheels fall off, so to speak)

but if you're on time constraints and cannot be without transportation thats a factor too.

only for future reference- 6300 could buy a very decent car nowadays with VERY good reliability. i think early 2000 accords are about that price now.

or you can get another outback for the same price as your new engine and keep your old one for spare parts in case the new purchase turns out to be less than 100% reliable.. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ctd/939089287.html 2 minute search on craigslist

car for sale. PM me!

Personally if I were heading towards getting a new car soon anyways I might have gone with the rebuild and saved the extra 2k to put towards a new car. Though it seems like you are pretty attached to this car and are likely to keep it as long as you can so the new engine sounds like the right way to go. Either way I'm sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope the best for your new engine! :)

I'd go the used car route as well, I looked for about 2 days to find mine. You could also probably get an engine a lot cheaper than that. You could probably pick up a working engine from a scrap yard or somewhere for under 3k. There was a 04 WRX engine with 160,000 on it for sale for 3,000 at my local shop.

Did I make the right decision?

It sounds like you put a fair number of miles on your car each year, so a 10 year old car of any brand is going to start needing many expensive repairs soon.

I honestly don't think spending $4000 or $6000 on a rebuilt or new engine is a good decision for a 10 year old car with 170,000 miles.

You could find a lightly used new style '06 Outback for around $15,000, put $5000 down and pay around $300 per month for 36 months.

Good luck and try and keep your spirits up!

Terrible situation. But correct me if I'm wrong...if you like to put 50% down on a new vehicle and you're willing to spend 6K for a motor, you are in the new car or barely used car neighborhood of 12K yes?

Just my .02. Good luck.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

It sounds like you put a fair number of miles on your car each year, so a 10 year old car of any brand is going to start needing many expensive repairs soon.

I honestly don't think spending $4000 or $6000 on a rebuilt or new engine is a good decision for a 10 year old car with 170,000 miles.

You could find a lightly used new style '06 Outback for around $15,000, put $5000 down and pay around $300 per month for 36 months.

Good luck and try and keep your spirits up!

I second this opinion. FWIW, I sold my '98 outback w/ 139k (in cherry condition) for 4K.

Terrible situation. But correct me if I'm wrong...if you like to put 50% down on a new vehicle and you're willing to spend 6K for a motor, you are in the new car or barely used car neighborhood of 12K yes?

Just my .02. Good luck.

My next car will be a new Outback. Spending money on a "temporary car", and making payments will prevent me from saving for my new one, plus, I've never bought a used car in my life...I don't want the risk, and I don't have the time to search for a lightly used Outback. Actually in response to the opinions here, I have searched, and was not able to find anything in my area that I could justify right now. That is why the car purchase is not an option for me right now.

My car, other than the engine of course, is in excellent shape. This new engine will have a 100,000 mile warranty. A junkyard engine doesn't fit my schedule (finding one) or risk-factor (how long will it last) either. The option I have chosen will enable me to drive for another two years at least, and continue to save for a new car. I planned to take this car to 200,000, before replacing it, and financially, for me, it makes more sense to repair than to ditch it for a new one, at this point.

Thanks so much for all of your responses - I really wanted some assurances about the cost of the repairs, as the new car option is just not doable at this time. Gonna be a lean Christmas, anyway I look at it, but it'll be fine. I'm okay with my decision now. I'll try and post back in a few months to let you know how it's going. :redface:

Thanks again for all the well-wishes.

To answer your question frankly, no, you did not. I've been in a similar boat. My 1990 Volvo 740 just ate about 2500 worth of parts and I'd finally gotten it back together again only to have the heater core blow. To get someone to do it is about 1000 bucks. To do it myself would be more than I could manage in a weekend.

I finally realized I was spending way too much money on an old car. Had it been hit again it would have been a write off even for minor damage because even though It was in immaculate condition, the resale value was very low.

I cut my losses and got an 08 Outback 2.5i for $21,500 out the door. Take $6300 off and you get $15,200. That's a brand new car, no miles, no problems.

Find yourself a used one in great shape (shouldn't be too hard) and bam reliability. I've been there before sinking money into an old car because I refuse to let go and I never could trust it fully. I was always wondering what would break next and land me on a flat deck again.

To answer your question frankly, no, you did not. I've been in a similar boat. My 1990 Volvo 740 just ate about 2500 worth of parts and I'd finally gotten it back together again only to have the heater core blow. To get someone to do it is about 1000 bucks. To do it myself would be more than I could manage in a weekend.

I finally realized I was spending way too much money on an old car. Had it been hit again it would have been a write off even for minor damage because even though It was in immaculate condition, the resale value was very low.

I cut my losses and got an 08 Outback 2.5i for $21,500 out the door. Take $6300 off and you get $15,200. That's a brand new car, no miles, no problems.

Find yourself a used one in great shape (shouldn't be too hard) and bam reliability. I've been there before sinking money into an old car because I refuse to let go and I never could trust it fully. I was always wondering what would break next and land me on a flat deck again.

Thanks for your thoughts. A new car is not an option for me right now...and really I had no time to spend on searching for any deals. Also, with the economy right now, I'm even less reluctant to start a car payment again. As I said, I did go with the new engine, and that may or may not have been the best decision. :redface: Time will tell. Thanks again.

I'd say you did OK. Might have been abler to find a better deal elsewhere (DrMotorworx, etc), but you're gaining convenience. And I have to admit i sometimes regret trading in our '98 for the '06.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived