LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

New shop will take the work. Ordered new head castings and valve guides Friday from Infamous. Well see what else is needed once the parts start swapping over from the current mistake.

Rebello has a good rep and local so no shipping the current assemblies for the job.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been following 510 Parts Outlet owner Troy who uses Rebello on all his and customers race builds. Wish I took the long block to them a year ago but that's hind sight.

Search over if Dave would take the job. He had zero interest in trying to fix the borked timesert install and I tend to agree with him at this stage. So the new parts should be here in a couple weeks. He's busy but I'll be patient.

Yeah krz, it's been close to a year since we pulled the motor. Yes I know you ran into some personal problems, but keep me informed when you're ready to install it. I have no problem driving up to help you out. Trust me, you'll be thankful for an extra few hands while installing it.
My wife's balls are delicious.

About to undertake this on my 2005 LGT wagon. Misfire and low compression on cylinder 2. Been reading through the first few pages and it helps assuage some of my nervousness. Valuable info so far. Lots more to go, but I can't keep reading for too long. Sooner or later I have to bite the bullet and start pulling the engine. It's good guys from the community were so helpful towards ya. Been talking with Max Capacity (pretty local) on PM and he's been helpful. But man, I can't stop thinking I'm going down a rabbit hole or I'm going to screw something up. I guess just work slow and thorough. Another tough thing is being able to consistently work on the car with the rest of life's stuff going on. Can't let this slip to the cold weather months. Anyway, bookmarking what seems like another great resource on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About to undertake this on my 2005 LGT wagon. Misfire and low compression on cylinder 2. Been reading through the first few pages and it helps assuage some of my nervousness. Valuable info so far. Lots more to go, but I can't keep reading for too long. Sooner or later I have to bite the bullet and start pulling the engine. It's good guys from the community were so helpful towards ya. Been talking with Max Capacity (pretty local) on PM and he's been helpful. But man, I can't stop thinking I'm going down a rabbit hole or I'm going to screw something up. I guess just work slow and thorough. Another tough thing is being able to consistently work on the car with the rest of life's stuff going on. Can't let this slip to the cold weather months. Anyway, bookmarking what seems like another great resource on this forum.

My click here link has lots of info on R&R of the engine. Just skip over the piston discussion's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Main thing I can offer is doing your homework on the machine shop that will assist with the rebuild. There are many here that have gone through this process and some may be local to you.

I appreciate the patience and offers for assistance.

Although I'm never out of the woods till done I too am happy to get this moving forward again. Getting this project out of my garage will be huge!

Gah. Passenger head core arrived and a full set of valve guides. It's way more than a core. Pretty much complete aside from valves, springs, retainers, seals and cams. Valve guides are installed already.

I now have a spare set of valve guides, half moons and valve seals to offer up in the future if they don't get used. :p

Waiting for the drivers side now and will get in line for Rebello to set these boogers up.

Edited by kzr750r1

• 1 month later...

Dropped the heads off to Rebello. Handed over the new head cores, powersport valve seals and old heads to swap parts over.

Instructions are to call me if tear down of the old heads reveal any of the other hard parts are FUBAR in their opinion to determine a plan of action.

• 1 month later...
Let me know if you are going to have a work day or something on a weekend in December. Depending on how much time I need to devote to finals and final projects this semester I'd love to come learn a little about heads.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Meh. Not so bad. I needed some time. Only real bummer is the temp outside. Not even going to really get rolling 100% till December. I have a show to play at the Rock Bar on the 28th... All I need is to smash a finger before the show.

Let me know if you are going to have a work day or something on a weekend in December. Depending on how much time I need to devote to finals and final projects this semester I'd love to come learn a little about heads.

LOL You and me both. One of the tasks at hand is reading through the manual again. I'll let you guys know when. :)

Cool mon. I'll get a few days posted up soon. I need to get the garage cleaned back up. I've been avoiding the space for a year. Short block has been wrapped in cellophane on the stand since first of the year.

I'll back up a couple steps and pop the oil pan back off. I was not all that pleased with the bolts used for the Killer B pickup. I want to be confident on that front. But the water pump is on and most all of the other parts have been waiting. Probably need a few items but that will flush out as I go.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm here all weekend.

Reading up on the ARP studs they have no stretch procedure. Ok.

They claim three successive passes through the bolt pattern to 90 ft lb. Ok.

ARP procedure makes a little more sense (to me) than the madness with the Subaru bolts.