LegacyGT.com

Loss off power to radio and climate control.

resipsa99

Mine would spaz out every once in a while then it died completely. I pulled it out and removed the Jazzy Mod and it went back to working fine but 4 of the CD slots are unuseable due not being able to track the disc. They are all store bought original discs too. That was why I got the Jammy Mod in the first place. That would happen intermittently before the Jazzy Mod and it would glitch out too. Next I'll see if I can score an '07 HU somehow.

I don't think the JM did it I just think the subpar HUs are just crap.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine began to spaz out all the time, as of now, my CD player has been completely dead for 3 months or so. Miraculously, now that my CD player no longer functions, I haven't been having any more problems with the HVAC going haywire. My Radio still functions, HVAC functions perfect, but CD is completely dead. Sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

Question for anyone that has had these problems with their headunits:

Since you began having problems with your headunit, have you noticed any issues with battery drainage?

My car won't start if I don't start it up every day or so. The battery just slowly drains. I just had my leads and the battery replaced, which the shop claimed were both bad. Alternator seems fine, since I only have problems starting if I let the car sit for a few days. However, I am still having this issue. Seems to have gotten worse ever since my CD player has refused to function whatsoever.

What I am wondering is if a bad connection or something could be causing my drainage issue. Is the CD player on a different power supply than the HVAC? Does the CD player draw power independently from the radio?

I still have radio functionality, just no CD, and my battery keeps dying. Please help, somebody, anybody. Sick and tired of bringing my car in.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's bittersweet to find this is happening to other people!

Probably only every other month when I start the car my HVAC controls are unresponsive with the de-mister light is on. I've got the integrated AV/Nav system and am fortunate that for me at least it doesn't seem to stuff it up when this happens.

It's really frustrating that if you don't notice it and start driving you have to pull over and "reboot" the car. It seems like our HVAC's need a restart button (remember the days when computers had those?) :p

I'm just about to check my '08 in for it's 1 year service so will mention it and see what they say about the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

wow I get to join this post also with my scooby....

the other day I heard the music...but had no display and all buttons were disabled...and for the heater controls all I got was air but couldn't change the previous settings...Mines an 08 LGT I dunno SOA needs to step up with these issues...they are not cheap cars...

*not a happy subaru owner.....

The automatic HVAC system is not Panasonic's best work. The way these things work is Subi simply $bills$ back Panasonic. The Panasonic OE division say's oops, Subi is small potatoes . . . . Me the customer says, WTF !

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Hi, my "new" 05 Outback came off the transport from New Jersey yesterday at noon. Beautiful car, but...none of the controls work on the panel, no air, radio, or cd. Seller says they were working. Trucker had to jump the car 3-4 times on the trip to Wyoming because the battery died. New battery now. Dealer said he had another car he has been working on for a month with the same stuck display of ACC. Since the dealer can't get to it until next week, I had a radio after market shop unplug it all, replug and now the lower display has some more letters, including 88.8 degrees. Hot air is now coming in the vents, no blower. Great. It's summer. Out of warranty, $800 to replace. Any ideas? Any after market better units? After reading the posts, it doesn't sound like replacement units are any better. This is my fourth subaru, both my kids drive old models, and I have a great 97 to sell...or maybe not....Its a stiff price to pay for bad design, and winter heat, never mind the ac or tune.

• 2 weeks later...
My subaru has had this issue twice now in the almost two years I have owned it, but both times cycling the key solved the issue. I would like to replace with an aftermarket stereo but does anyone know an easy way to get a new stereo without having to solder wires?

• 3 weeks later...
here is what just happened to me. so this morning i was walking past my car going out the garage door, when i notice that hvac/stereo is lit up. ? ... check and see if i left the ignition is on. nope it was off. checked to see if it starts, it does but is cranking a little slower than normal. wtf!! also i cant shut it off or change temp settings at all. well i went to work came home and the car is dead. wtf again!!! i just got done jumping it to find that it still has the same prob, so i took the whole thing out. what do you guys thinks wrong? it's toast or what. side note, does anyone know where i can get a new unit the cheapest, the wife is going to freak! thanks in advance!
never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

As far as a replacement HVAC unit, me thinks you’re headed off to your local Subaru dealership. If I were in your circumstance I’d contact Subaru corporate asking to schedule a meeting with your area’s zone Rep. Or at least a phone call from the same person. I’d ask nicely for Subaru to “Good Will” the repair. Keep in mind Subaru is well informed of this vehicle’s HVAC unit defect history, and that Subaru is charging back to the OEM (Panasonic) the cost of these defect issues. Ask nicely,,, for gemme sum “Good Will” from Subaru corporate. The next step is they will instruct you to one of their dealership’s; or the dealership as the case maybe. My .02

P.S., our MY05 Outback XT LTD car has had 3 HVAC unit replacements. This most recent replacement episode had the car a year out of warranty. Subaru didn't blink when paying the dealerships tab. Of course I'm the original owner - which may have meaning with corporate Subaru (just my hunch as to how ownership frames up the payment practice, again just a hunch)

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to me yesterday. 08 Legacy (non-GT) lights from Radio and AC turned off, AC was still working, Radio was working but oddly only the station i was on and i couldn't change the station or adjust volume. just could turn the radio on and off.

Turned off car and it fixed itself.

good thing Subaru doesnt have free loaners so i cant just drop it off and tell them to do some troubleshooting!

• 1 year later...

I have filed a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration regarding this issue...citing the inability to defrost front/rear windows as a visibility safety hazard. Complaint number is 10360944 and should be available online in two business day. I've included the text of my complaint below. I would strongly encourage anyone else having this issue to also file a complaint with the NHTSA at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm.

Audio/HVAC controls flash or cut out altogether. Problem started intermittently in Jan. 2010 at about 15,000 miles but has now become consistent as of October 2010 at about 22,000 miles. When controls are acting up, not only does the panel not display properly, but also fails to respond to any adjustments. Not being able to adjust the audio or climate control is an inconvenience. However, not being able to defrost front or rear windows when needed is a safety hazard. Problem has been reported on Subaru forums (for example, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...&postcount=114 [see #114 and #137, in particular] and 08 O.B. radio/hvac control lighting prob.). Problem seems to stem from a poorly manufactured circuit board. Honda has a similar issue with poorly made circuit boards, but has issued a TSB that now covers these units for 7 year/100,000 miles. It would be nice if something similar would be issued for Subarus as owners experiences with dealerships have ranged from then never hearing of this problem before and not being able to correctly diagnose it to having it be a known issue that they work with SOA to promptly address at no expense to the owner.

• 1 month later...

I had this same issue happen last weekend. All of a sudden, my stereo/CD changer and climate control stop working. Also I've noticed the computer (time, outside temp, etc.) and interior lights are not working.

I've tried turning the car off and restarting many times. I also tried pressing the "eject" button. I've also tried pressing every button on the stereo and climate control and still nothing...

My next step was to disconnect the battery and reconnect to see if that somehow "reset" the system. It didn't work.

Then I went and bought brand new fuses for both the stereo and ACC system. Installed them, and still no luck.

I have an 06 LGT with stock stereo.

Now I'm thinking my only option is to take it to the expensive dealer. Argh. This is frustrating.

hack4875 -

Try approaching Subaru from their zone office in your area. This funky-largely defective HVAC module is a black eye for Subaru and their likely to assit you with its replacement; if not take care of the repair 100%. I'm not certain of the frame work, but Subaru recently paid 100% of the cost for the replacement of our MY05 OB XTs HVAC control module. The OB is way out of warranty by both years and mileage; 64K miles. I'm the original owner though and this would be our 3rd HVAC module replacement.

P.S., Our MY05 Outback XT Ltd wagon came to life out of the October 2004 USA Production and in service by November. The initial failure of the HVAC control module was within six months of ownership, the second failure IIRC was 18 - 24 months later; in warranty both.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

A mile high huh? It's funny, this happened to me in Colorado. Boulder actually.

Chalk another one up in Colorado... Mine went out on a super cold night and hasn't come back on. I'm at 54k. Its pretty disappointing to hear the fix is replacement.

Well since we're talking Colorado, does anyone have any experience with Heuberger Subaru (in Colorado Springs) with this radio/climate control issue?

I imagine they would, since they are one of the biggest Subaru dealers in the US.

So on my way to the dealer, I stop by my performance shop, REVOLUTIONS PERFORMANCE. I talk to my mechanic, Chris who confirms they can look at this issue.

They pull apart my dash/console and find a loose wire for my cigarette lighter which is then shorting out my stereo/climate control. They tightened stuff up and replaced fuses ( interior fuses too)and it's all good.

Chalk another one up in Colorado... Mine went out on a super cold night and hasn't come back on. I'm at 54k. Its pretty disappointing to hear the fix is replacement.

I took my car in earlier this week to see if this is covered by the extended warranty. They said it was so I pulled the radio apart to save the Jazzy mod and when I put the HU back in it was working just fine.

I'm relatively sure it wasn't the mod and more the reset from disconnecting the battery. Now the question is should I still get it replaced?

:spin:

I got the same problem everyone else had on my 2008 Legacy. After trying everything from smacking the dash, shutting the car off and on, reseating fuses and the rest, I decided to disconnect the battery to reset the computer (a step several posts said didn't work). I left the battery disconnected for 2 hours. After reconnecting the battery, all systems are GO !!!!:lol:

• 1 month later...
I had the same issue in my 08 LGT, after talking with my Subaru dealer they ended up replacing it under "good will". They replaced the radio free of charge to me and I am out of warranty by 12k. Everything has been flawless now since November *knocks on wood*

I have a 2007 legacy 2.5i, I dont have the same problem but close. As soon as it started to get cold out my cars radio would lose the presets and spit the cd out when you started the car in the morning after it sat in the cold all night, and then sometimes when you started the car the radio would just come on quick and turn back off but also lose the presets and spit the cd out. I noticed the car turns over harder but I figured it is just because it is colder. I cleaned the corrosion off from the battery posts and wires and put a little vaseline on the posts but the problem still happens. I was just wondering if maybe my cars issue is caused by the same thing causeing the radio/hvac issue.

I have a 2007 legacy 2.5i, I dont have the same problem but close. As soon as it started to get cold out my cars radio would lose the presets and spit the cd out when you started the car in the morning after it sat in the cold all night, and then sometimes when you started the car the radio would just come on quick and turn back off but also lose the presets and spit the cd out. I noticed the car turns over harder but I figured it is just because it is colder. I cleaned the corrosion off from the battery posts and wires and put a little vaseline on the posts but the problem still happens. I was just wondering if maybe my cars issue is caused by the same thing causeing the radio/hvac issue.

If you are still on the original battery, it might be time for a new one. It might explain you losing your presets (not sure about the cd spitting out though). If you don't have the means to test the battery yourself, I believe the auto parts stores can test it for you.