LegacyGT.com

Bilstein Japan - BTS suspension kit - install parts list.

I don't know the answer, UPS International would. Give the UPS International site a try, maybe their FAQ area. If not call UPS.

Have you heard/seen anything from Hirano Tire Japan? I have not, so far. I'm waiting . . . .

I havent done anything yet, i was waiting to hear from you to see if you rec'd anything yet. I guess i could always do it and get the process started.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

n888aw, I pinged my Tokyo guy today asking him to reach out to Hirano Tire Japan. He speaks their language.

Easton: I'm just noodling this idea around. What if Bilstein America handled the import??? I dunno,,, maybe we take another shot at some sort of ??? with Bilstein America. Sche-it,,, ??? How does the fact that the JDM BTS kit's strut/shock/springs lower's our USDM Outback by 1 inch? Does this concern Bilstein America somehow? I mean by lowering the Outback any amount would alter its EPA classification from SUV to automoble, no? Does Bilstein America care?

P.S., I'd offer the Accenture shipping clout if only I could.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• 2 weeks later...
Japanparts is looking into putting a kit together, but I have doubts.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Hey hutru01, the HIGHER or LOWER question reminds me of the Monty Python skit:

I came here for an argument. No you didn't. Yes I did. This isn't an argument it’s a contradiction. No it isn't. Yes it tis . . .

Yeah, agreed. The pictures and the dates are conclusive.

Hey, holter95 just having fun. Ask anything ya need.

Love it!!!

How funny is it that this was the sketch which came up on my Monty Python calendar yesterday? :)

Thanks for the laugh....

Tim

• 6 months later...

Hey Gent's,

Our MY05 OB XT mit automatic gearbox has logged about 5K miles since the JDM Bilstein BTS kit install. This suspension enhancement transform's the Outback XTs drive charactor for the better a thousand percent! Gone is the sloppy front end dive, rear end bounce or modulation, etc. The BTS kit simply addresses and remedies all of the notorious OEM/KYB suspension ill's.

-----Shame on Subaru USA for fitting the up market performance oriented Outback models with such crap.-----

As mentioned else where, the braking charactor benefit's greatly from the transformed suspension as there is not much in the form of nose dive. Once you have moved through or past the mushy brake pedal feel there are useful brake's. Don't get me wrong the XTs brakes suck, however I don't curse them as much anymore. I just hit the brakes letting the Akebono F&R pads earn there keep. The station wagons body movements are largely in check.. The XT is now FUN to drive!

The coilover arrangement I once fitted way, way, back in January of 2005 doesn't come close to the Bilstein BTS in terms of composure, compliance and everyday driveability. Not even close. Actually the coilover's were removed and the OE suspension again fitted back in March of 2005; how hard was that. (The coilovers simply could not provide the wide dynamic as a spring/strut/shock can IMHO)

We'll keep the Outback XT until the wheels fall off or the nerve racking, ever failing "dual zone" automatic my arse HVAC get's the best of us. Unbelievable!!!

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

A resounding YES, YES and Yes when driving on unpaved/improved dirt roads. There are alot of Forestry Roads here in Colorado and the Bilstein kit is super! I'm GLAD to have made the JDM Bilstein kit import and install effort.

P.S., In early 2005 coilovers we're fitted to the then new MY05 Outback XT only to return (yeah the pain) to the stock strut/coil arrangment, for the coilovers on a balance didn't fit our Outback XTs use. The Outback XT in my opinon needed a different mouse trap than "coilovers". Several years later (having demoted the OB XT to weekly airport parking lot duty) the Bilstein BTS kit arrived on the scene - thanks to fellow Legacygt.com member Unclemat the install was largely drama free. The Bilstein BTS kit was that elusive "mouse trap".

Edited by M. Schneider
content

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's so special about the BTS struts over the Bilstein HD struts?

http://www.bilsteinus.com/cart/ymm.php?year=2009&make=SUBARU&model=LEGACY&zenid=

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

And why the 5056J over the 5058J? The 5056 is the 2.5i, the 5058 is the 3.0R. Spring rates are the same for both, so what is the difference?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What's so special about the BTS struts over the Bilstein HD struts?

http://www.bilsteinus.com/cart/ymm.php?year=2009&make=SUBARU&model=LEGACY&zenid=

Legacy & Outback are different.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

What about the 5056J vs. 5058J differences?

Also, you have LGT mufflers on your Outback? Got any pics besides the one in your avatar?

• 9 months later...

I should thank you for your nice reviews about Bilstein application. I was about to buy Megane RC coilover but I changed my mind and imported Bilstein BTS kit from japanparts after I red your reviews. The result is perfect with Bilsteins although I had a problem at first with the rear side riding height. I did not know that rear side has got height adjustment but it is OK now.

With 18' wheels + 225/45/18 Bridgestone S001s + Bilstein shocks, OB is like a sports car now that is capable for snow. Strange! but tasteful...

Thanks again for sharing your opinions and showing the way how to do it.

Subject: MY05 USDM Outback XT LTD. Original owner, stock condition. (Stock size) 225/55/HR17 Michelin Pilot Alpin. A mud & snow rated tire.

Objective: Street use/sport oriented suspension enhancement while maintaining the Outback signature raised ride height. - snow/ski time in the Rockies.

Outcome: Mission Accomplished! (unlike the aircraft carrier kind-politically speaking) Excellent suspension enhancement. Night and Day compared to the OEM stock. The BTS kit will have you forgetting the car is a wagon; a raised ride height wagon at that. Superior quality components.

Parts list:

1ea. JDM Bistein BTS-5056J. www.hirano-tire.co.jp - Export divison; exportdivision@hotmail.com (the Company regularly advertises 128,370 Yen for the BTS 5056J Kit)

2ea. USDM SpecB top hats, 20320AG01A. local.

2ea. USDM SpecB dust cap 20320AG000. local.

2ea. JDM rear shock perch 20370AG010. www.japanparts.com

2ea. JDM rear rubber upper 20375AE011. www.japanparts.com

A Bilstein link to the kit/pictured - text in Japanese

http://www.bilstein.co.jp/pdf/outback_bts.pdf

A link to the Japan based auto parts retailer whom sold my kit.

http://www.hirano-tire.co.jp/bil/bil4.htm

With the exchange rate at the time of purchase (11/08) the cost for kit alone was $1235.00 as shown on my CC statement. The additional USDM front top hats and rear JDM shock perchs were approximately $200 all toll. Any shipping charges/cost is that of the buyer. My BTS kit was shipped independent of the Hirano Tire Co Japan.

A BIG commercial goes out to fellow forum member Unclemat who "shunt to ground" much of the details. Also to Bilstein Japan and the Accenture Toyko office.

• 1 year later...
Schneider can you confirm or deny this:

Edit to the BTS-5056J parts install list:

2ea. USDM SpecB top hats, 20320AG01A. local.

2ea. USDM SpecB dust cap 20326AG000. local. (NOT 20320AG000)

2ea. JDM rear shock perch 20370AG010. www.japanparts.com

2ea. JDM rear rubber upper 20375AE011. www.japanparts.com

Call me late to the game, but I've sourced the kit and the above parts. Thanks very much to all contributing to the work and the fine write-ups.

QUESTIONs RE: The front assembly. Are the stock spring seats used, or does the spring mate directly with the top hat/upper mount, ... or what? (I've not been able to find any good drawings on the JDM setup)

The spring seats in the Spec B drawing look very different than those for the '07 OB XTLtd. Still works, or not used?

And, the Spec B top hat seems to have a spring seat built into it, but it's a solid connection, not one that utilizes the spring seat and therefore the bearing in the top hat. How does a solid connection like this work with the rotation of steering?

Notes:

• The upper mounts/top hats are for '07 Legacy Spec B.
  • My car is an '07, not an '05

• 2 weeks later...