LegacyGT.com

Fuel Injector Cleaning

Since we seem to be having a heatwave, he he (temps above 20 deg.) I was thinking of doing some proactive maintenance to the car. I had a question about the fuel injectors, I was thinking about cleaning them.

With my Olds 3.6 litre, I pulled them out and dumped them in Simple Green and they were great after that. I'd even had an old mechanic suggest that one to me. My question is can I do the same thing to Scooby injectors? Everything. I've read says its not worth cleaning them but for $70 each, I'd rather do some work on the ones I have.

I also don't have the time to be w/o a car by sending them off to WitchHunter. Or should I run a can of seafoam through it at the next fill up? Thank you

I am a fan of seafoam when I buy a used car the first thing I do is go pick up a couple cans and runs some in the gas and some in the oil before I change all the fluids

however I don't see any problem with the simple green approach, I have actually heard of a few people making a basic little hot tank with simple green and a crock pot or similar to clean their parts

When I was an infiniti tech, "at least at my dealer" we used these kinda deals. And they work well.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/otc-fuel-injector-cleaning-kit-7649-p-14727.aspx?kpid=18292&gclid=CPOKyMCmi8QCFY-Vfgodi68AGQ

Since there is no fuel port on our cars. You may have to improvise if you wanna go this route. I know there's a small rubber hose going to the fuel pressure regulator you may be able to rig one of these too. I've never had to check fuel pressure or clean my injectors on my subi.

Fuel additives are good stuff, Best advice always use top tier gas. We have drained full tanks of cheap gas, replaced with high quality and seen night and day differences in how cars run.

And why do you think they need cleaning? misfires? If your CEL is off and it doesn't misfire I personally wouldn't worry about it.

The CEL is on, but a previous wanker ripped the wire to the 16 pin so my obdII port is useless. It runs fine, but every so often if I'm holding speed and rpm steady I can feel it surge. It's not that big a deal. So mainly its preventative, and at 201,xxx miles, w/ the state of some of the 'repaire' I've seen, I don't put much stock in how things were previously done.

Thank you for all the replies.

I've been wanting to fix the wire but there's no obvious breaks, so unless he pulled it from the source, which I'm unsure where power derives from. Also the fuse is good but the cigar lighter doesn't work. I know they're on the same fuse so I think its after the fuse box.

The plugs and wires are new, I'd already checked the coil pack as well. One more question, if I pull the injectors, will I screw up the 'balance' of them?

Archived