LegacyGT.com

97 GT Wagon

Well I finally put the old motor back in the wagon after fixing the manual trans snout and replacing the oil plate with the metal one. It fired up and purrs like a kitten but I still have the stupid oil leak! Where are other places to look for leaks that drip off the oil pan? It has 120,000 miles on it and the head gaskets were just done before I got it.

I did replace the rear main seal too, I forgot about that. Yeah the motor was clean. It is fresh oil coming out. The guy that did the head gaskets said he did the timing belt but I don't know for sure. I have a new motor that I built for but decided to put the old one back in because it never heated, I just replaced the rear plate and main seal. Didn't see any evidence of the valve covers leaking but I will have to get under there and look harder. Just needing some ideas of where to look.

I didn't take the oil pump off so no I didn't do the o ring. It kinda looks like it is below the oil pump towards the passenger side. I haven't took the belt off yet. I don't want to pull the motor but I do have a rebuilt 2.5 on the stand if I need it.

Yes. Unfortunately it is common for someone to replace the timing belt and neglect to change the components, water pump, cam seals, crank seal and reseal the oil pump while they are right there. I would have to agree with the above statements, that it's probably the oil pump or a cam/crank seal.

It is more than a slow drip. I didn't do anything to the motor except for the rear of it. Most was already done before I bought it. I am going to replace the seals but on the oil pump I only put sealer right? I don't remember a gasket from the other motor on the stand.

The oil pump uses RVT sealer AND a small o-ring. Generally the dealership has the o-ring. When applying the RVT make sure not to put it on too thick. If its too thick then it can squeeze out, and a glob can break off and clog up your oil pump. So when applying use a thin coat and spread it with your finger.

Archived