LegacyGT.com

Tire noise recommendations

jbangoy

So like the scatterbrain I am I forgot to ask the shop I have been getting maintenance done at to rotate my tires since I have owned the car ~15k miles. So this past oil change they asked if I wanted them rotated and balanced I said sure. They told me the tires were slightly cupped, but in good shape otherwise. Everything was fine until about 300 miles later where I started noticing that I sound like a Jeep with swamper tires over 40 mph. Pitch changes with speed but not during turning so I don't believe it is a bearing. It had gotten louder over the past 3 days assuming that the tires are wearing down in places they haven't before and the cupped areas are making more contact.

Would you recommend I rotate them back and leave them like that until I need new tires, or just wait it out and see if they eventually wear themselves quiet again. (and yes I know I am a moron for not remembering to have them rotated more often)

I'm gonna guess you have a bearing issue. The turning theory is not 100% accurate. Tires will not change that much in 3 days. Tires have to be pretty severely cupped to make a lot of noise.

On a side note if your tires are cupping I would recommend getting the alignment checked. The toe may be off.

But I'll bet it's a bearing.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the bearing on your own. I work in Germantown. I'd be more than happy to change it for you a lot cheaper than a dealer would charge you.

Jacked the car up and couldn't detect any play in the bearing. Took a picture of the outside edge that you can feel small bumps on each tread that are jagged stick up from the surface slightly. They appear to be just starting to wear. Car is on factory alignment spec so there is noticeable toe in on the rear tires.

IMG_20130607_205321_139.thumb.jpg.d8ec2dda6c9e0f5f3de030be9e783f2a.jpg

IMG_20130607_205306_917.thumb.jpg.69f7bf34b025c9397ed9127151b427e7.jpg

Definitely going to get an alignment on Monday, and will probably try to rotate the tires back to where they were and see if the noise moves or not in the morning tomorrow.

That most likely isn't really enough cupping to cause the amount of noise you are talking about. And the factory alignment specs don't call for any toe in the rear. So I'd def get an alignment.

And your most likely not going to feel any wheel bearing play. It's most likely a bearing.

It's not very loud, my girlfriend in the car can't hear it at all, but I know how my car sounds, and I can hear it. If I have the radio on around 5 you can't hear it anymore. One of my part time coworkers runs a Goodyear will be bringing it to his shop Monday either way for an alignment. If it's a bearing I guess I'll get him to do it as well since he charges me half as much labor as the dealership.

Did they extend the warranty on the fronts also?? the only info I could find was on the rears... there is a chance that my car is still under the 8 year/100000 mile extended warranty. It was a dealer demo until I bought it and only has 83k miles. If the car didn't go directly into demo service it could be less than 8 years old according to Subaru of America.

Oh well I already spent $250 getting it replaced today. I looked at the old one and it wasn't in too bad a shape on the outside, but was definitely bad because now I have no more NOISE!

Archived