LegacyGT.com

Smell of gas inside, then see dripping gas in engine bay

So just bought this 05 LGT MT a few days ago. All of a sudden I start smelling gas in the car, especially at idle at a stop light and when the climate control is on the setting that sucks air in from the outside. Figure I spilled gas on myself. Nope, look in the engine bay and where the gold-ish piping is at the front, right of the plastic engine cover there is literally gas dripping rapidly! I cannot believe this is happening! Ever happen to anyone here? It's really cold here, so maybe a feed just cracked a seal or something but... WTF?! Thanks for any ideas and help.

Regardless, don't drive it. Fix it yourself now or tow it to a shop and get it fixed. May be just an o-ring inside the fuel line disconnect, or the fuel line was not re-connected properly.

You can try to disconnect the fuel line and reconnect it, see if that helps. If not then disconnect it and see if there is an o-ring or two that you can take to the auto parts store and get a replacement *FUEL* o-ring. (don't get a a/c or water o-ring or it will get eaten away by the fuel and leak again)

Sounds like a simple problem that should be easy to fix.

Just had the exact same problem, the clamps on the short rubber section of fuel hose that connect the metal fuel lines together needed tightening.

Mine was on the driver's side near the intake manifold/injectors, if the passenger side needs tightening good luck... those clamps look impossible to get to without some serious wrenching

I pulled an injector over the summer on my 98, and, having never done that before, didn't realize how easy it was for the o-rings to get pinched on the way in. Was in town when it started smelling very strong of gas. Pulled over somewhere and popped the hood to find fuel pouring out of the injector, and literally pools of it BOILING (like seriously BOILING) everywhere where it had gathered on the engine block, and smoking like crazy. Needless to say I nearly crapped my pants. Just stood there, staring at it with my fingers crossed as it slowly stopped and then evaporated.

Holy shit that was scary...

Glad you got it fixed. Just for information, always check under your rear seats if you smell fuel in the car. The fuel pump access is there and if a line disconnected, you can get the smell of gas in the car.

under your rear seats, as in take out the seats and look there? or jack up the car and look underneath?

Archived