LegacyGT.com

Accessport keeps cutting out at WOT

TheBlubaru

I have had this accessport since I bought the car a year ago and PO had been using it before with no issues. A month or so ago I started having an issue when I tried to datalog. As soon as I get on it the accessport will lose connection and won't reconnect until I go back to the main menu and datalog again. I have tried cleaning up the ODBII connectors and putting a rubberband around them to keep the connection tight. Any ideas?
God created turbo lag to give V8s a chance

FYI, this isn't isolated to you. A bunch of people have had this issue not just with the AP but with vagcom and Tactrix cables. Someone just posted this today about their issue:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cannot-log-wot-pulls-p4316052.html

OP knows this already, but for everyone else:

As I mentioned in the other thread, a whole bunch of people seem to have this issue too... Can't figure it out. And like I mentioned, I used to have this problem intermittently with an APv2 (silver dongle, sold it already) and my vagcom cable. The problem then completely disappeared with the vagcom after a while.

Also, in another thread, we start discussing this some more at the bottom of this page:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/using-ebay-vag-com-cable-datalog-96737p27.html

I started having this problem a while ago. Under normal driving conditons everything was fine, but under WOT the AP would loose the connection to the ECU.

Check that all of the engine grounds are still connected and in good condition. this helped me somewhat. In the end, finding a USB cable with a ferrit choke (those chubby looking cylinder things on some USB cables) ended up resolving my issue.

I started having this problem a while ago. Under normal driving conditons everything was fine, but under WOT the AP would loose the connection to the ECU.

Check that all of the engine grounds are still connected and in good condition. this helped me somewhat. In the end, finding a USB cable with a ferrit choke (those chubby looking cylinder things on some USB cables) ended up resolving my issue.

Interesting about the ferrit choke. I think i will try my old sony cyber shot usb cable if i get issues again.

• 2 years later...
Interesting about the ferrit choke. I think i will try my old sony cyber shot usb cable if i get issues again.

The choke is a magnet which is used to normalize voltage . Well actually , I think i never really experienced this problem because i switched my cables to this heavy duty usb cable with gold connectors usually needed for hard drives.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

• 4 weeks later...

hey folks.

i was having this same issue - also was not able to reflash my ECU (realtime worked, but no reflash).

took me a while to try this, but unplugging the charger for my bluetooth interface from the console fixed the issue. if i plug it back in, the AP disconnects at WOT.

wasn't an obvious fix but luckily this was the solution for me.

From all of what people have been posting, it sounds like your +12V line is either dropping (unlikely, IMO) or getting really noisy at WOT, causing enough noise to mess with the AP. A ferrite choke or a capacitor across the supply pins at the OBD-II port will definitely help out if that's the case. The capacitor is probably a better bet. Sounds like Cobb could have decoupled their device a bit more, since this seems to be a pretty common issue. Luckily I haven't run into it yet (fingers crossed).

Jury's still out on this one for me. Until recently, any time ambient temps were below ~60F my AP3 would cut out under full boost almost every time. I had ferrite chokes on the OBD cable near the OBD port as well as near the AP3 connector. Cobb sent me a new OBD cable with no change in behavior.

Last week I had an IAG AOS and an AEM X-Series WBO2 controller gauge installed. The AOS installation required slight relocation of the main engine harness and running the wiring for the AEM WBO2 required some tinkering around in the lower left dash area near the OBD port.

So far the AP3 hasn't cut out once yet, and I've been doing a sh-t ton of datalogging directly w/ the AP3 as well as WB02 datalogging w/ the AP3 connected to the OBD port and to the laptop via the micro USB port. Fingers crossed that all that moving around of the various wiring might have firmed up a potentially flaky connection somewhere.

And now that I've posted this, I bet the AP3 cuts out the instant I get into boost during the morning commute :/

Archived