LegacyGT.com

Ill.5, Ill.6

Hello all,

Today I started my 05 Legacy GT Sedan and when I first pulled out of the driveway the trip odometer started flashing "ILL.5," and then "ILL.6." It then went back to the trip milage display and the message never displayed again. I did install an AVO drop in filter and an AVO Bypass Valve on Thursday but no such messages had been displayed until this Monday morning. I have had no idle problems or anything of that nature. Also no check engine light. Any thoughts? I'm sure the bypass valve has something to do with it. Is there a list of such "ILL" codes and their meanings anywhere? Please advise. Remarkably enough, my average gas milage has gone up from about 21 M.P.G to 23M.P.G.

Thank you for your help.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't sweat it. I make the same mistake and posted here. Got flamed. It's a stupid feature in my opinion. Who give's a shit what number the illumination is on. You can see the damn thing change brightness when you turn the knob. Too frickin' fancy!

Who give's a shit what number the illumination is on. You can see the damn thing change brightness when you turn the knob. Too frickin' fancy!

I agree. I would be much more impressed with boost info instead.

Speaking of boost reading... has any one seen a gauge pod for the pillar or better yet the otherwise useless indash storage compartment? How many of you fellas are sick of people pressing the "button" on that in dash storage compartment only to be disappointed when you have to pull it open?! Anyway, I'd love to put a set of Autometer Nexus boost/ vacuum and E.G.T. gauges in a pillar or whatever. I love how Autometer never fails to come out with guages that match the stock dials of cars... and then charges a whole lot for them... They even do the full sweep at start up!

I'm pretty short at 5'4", I would have no way of using the clutch and rubbing that potentiometer with my knee. I tried to repeat the action today with no luck. If you fellas are experiencing the same thing then I sense a recall on the horizon!

I'm pretty short at 5'4", I would have no way of using the clutch and rubbing that potentiometer with my knee. I tried to repeat the action today with no luck. If you fellas are experiencing the same thing then I sense a recall on the horizon!

99% of recalls are for safety issues. Usually a TSB(Technical Service Bulletin) would be generated and used by the dealer to identify and fix the problem.

I keed I keeed

Last night driving home from work the audio and climate displays started occasionally flickering between normal and very dim. At first I though "Oh great, the unit has developed a bad connection somewhere inside, and it probably will never do it for the dealer service guy."

After getting home and investigating a bit, it turned out to be the illumination adjustment. Funny thing is that the ILL never appeared in the odometer when this flickering was going on. I normally have it set low and it was occasionally dropping to lowest setting (2 down to 1), which made a noticeable decrease in the light level of the audio & climate displays but only a very minor drop in the light levels of the spedo, tach, etc. which I didn't really pickup on while driving.

By moving the adjustment wheel just a small amount I could duplicate the switching to the next illumination level without tripping the ILL readout. It looks like the contacts in the adjustment switch get a little corrosion on them and make it act flaky. Quickly running it up and down through the range several times cleaned the contacts and solved the problem...for now.

NEW ISSUE SIMMILAR PROBLEM:

On Saturday I started my Legacy and noticed that the stereo and climate control dispays were completely blank. I proceeded to manipulate the dials to see if that would kick on the displays but it did not. I finally turned off the car waited and started it again. The second try yielded proper working displays. Any thoughts?

I got ILL.5, ILL.6 every few seconds at highway speed this morning. It seemed to go away when I got off the interstate.

Slow the fsck down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what the car is trying to say.

I keed I keeed

honestly... i always went with you HAD to have hit the illumination dial.

but it happened to me making a right turn out of my parking lot and accelerating..

ill5 -> ill6 .. The dash illumination didn't noticebly change either.

I KNOW it was not hit... and in touching the dial.. it was firmly set to ill6 .. no wiggle room.

Maybe its some indicator? or going funky in the heat ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
+1 for me. I was just cruising down a straight section of road when it happened. No shifting or turning. I thought I was going crazy. Luckily, I used the search button to keep from getting flamed. ;)

Archived