LegacyGT.com

engine burning oil, possibly a head gasket leak......suggestions?

I have a 06 2.5i 5 speed with 135k. The other day I noticed my car driving a bit rough and smelled oil burning. I noticed at a red light there was smoke coming from the engine. I took it to the dealership to get it checked out and they told me that I need a short block and a new engine. He told me that the engine was in rough shape and it was leaking a moderate amount of oil from the passenger side. The car still drive but just burns oil. No drips whenever I leave it parked anywhere. What are my options since the cars only worth 5-6k and it would be equal or more for the repairs? I was thinking about using K&W Nanotech permanent head gasket & block repair, thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

salvaged engine from a junked 06-09 2.5i might be the cheapest option find one in good shape have it swapped in still going to cost on the labor side so you might consider if you want to keep that car at all.could sell it for $3.5-$4.25K use that towards a newer vehicle

I wonder if the head gasket is leaking or if the valve cover gasket is leaking. It's entirely possible that the head gasket is leaking, but from my memory I think the passenger side valve cover gasket sits right above the exhaust.

If it does end up being a head gasket, I'd probably just trade the car in @135k. I have also noticed that my car has been consuming a lot more oil than normal lately, which I'm hoping is just the warmer weather since I cleaned the pcv valve only a few months ago.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 2010 with 31k miles and mine burns oil. I'm always about a quart low at about 3; miles every time. But your problem it would most likely be worth it to get a New short block fit sound 2 thousand dollars or look in a junk yard like was also said and get a whole new/used motor.

• 1 month later...
FWIW, my '06 has burned about 1-2 quarts per 5000 mile oil change since new. It now has 182K. Note that this rate of burning is not enough to see anything out of the tailpipe, or even show up on the park plugs.

• 2 weeks later...
OP, oil on passenger side and oil burning smell is most often right valve cover gasket. Very minor repair. Running a bit rough can be a bunch of different things, many also minor, some not. Get a second opinion from a trustworthy mechanic.

Archived