LegacyGT.com

Subaru annouces new boxer engine series

cp0607

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would they even consider redoing the engine and not include direct injection? Direct injection is the future i won't buy another new car w/o it.

R&D is too high on DI right now. They'll wait it out until the cost goes down. Can't say I blame them since Subaru is up like 40% in sales?

http://wot.motortrend.com/6687430/technology/subaru-unveils-more-powerful-and-efficient-third-gen-h-4-boxer-engine/index.html

According to this, the spec are virtually identical compared to the previous generation, with the exception of improved gas mileage.

Pretty bland considering the improvements coming from Ford and Chevy.

Why would they even consider redoing the engine and not include direct injection?

exactly what i was wondering.

why redesign an engine and not take advantage of current technological advances? can't afford the R&D? it's going to cost your company more when your cars stop selling because they're lagging so far behind that being a niche vehicle isn't going to help. couple that with domestic AWD offerings, and well... you know the rest.

there was an interview about subaru and DI somewhere. basically, they said it won't be done until it gets cheaper. boxer engines aren't cheap and the addition of DI would make their cars unreachable for a portion of their market segment.

I'm not buying that reason, the gas milage/power increase/emissions alone would justify the cost.

DI is the future, to not include it is crazy from a business standpoint.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Well backward is a little mean, lets just say sideways so everyone else is going to pass them lol.

I wonder if we can swap the new engines into the old cars without major mods.... I mean come on, 10% fuel economy is 10%, it means saving $30 on a $300 monthly fuel bill.

With a price north of $35,000 (if they include the Brembos and Recaros that were on the concept car)

Yeah, and too bad it is a LOT smaller than the 2010-11 LGT. I saw the news release on the Regal GS and was VERY, VERY interested....until I actually saw how big it was at the car show last spring.....not interested anymore. Too small for our needs. Cool car though.

Archived