LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

^+1 for RCE Blacks! No slowing down for speed bumps or driveways, I can take them faster now than when the car was stock. Can anyone else truly say that for their springs?

Me, run them straight over at slight faster speed than OEM springs without getting sea sick. :lol:

^Noted...

Is it because of our particular suspension setup?

yeah, they changed the rear suspension setup for the newer generations of Legacy and Impreza. Older generations were more of a MacPherson strut design in the rear and we've got something more like a double-wishbone back there now

^+1 for RCE Blacks! No slowing down for speed bumps or driveways, I can take them faster now than when the car was stock. Can anyone else truly say that for their springs?

funny part is there was this driveway i used to bottom out the front end in on the stock suspension. with the RCEs this doesnt happen.

funny part is there was this driveway i used to bottom out the front end in on the stock suspension. with the RCEs this doesnt happen.

Same here, I bottomed out hard twice at this spot right after exiting the fwy near my place on the OEM springs. I purposely drove over it after getting Swifts and it was smooth. I braced for it right before and my face was like :icon_neut, then afterwards, it was :).

No and nor would I want to speed up over a speed bump?? Defeats the purpose

Lol, maybe I should have been clearer; the 25mph speed "humps" (not the rip your suspension off bumps you see in parking lots) do not require me to slow down at all. I can hit them at 30mph, (40 if I want to try a dukes of hazard move :lol:).

Same here, I bottomed out hard twice at this spot right after exiting the fwy near my place on the OEM springs. I purposely drove over it after getting Swifts and it was smooth. I braced for it right before and my face was like :icon_neut, then afterwards, it was :).

Yeah, the OEM springs are just way, way too soft. I think that's why now with the RCE's the car feels so much more planted, because it's not pogo-sticking and bouncing all over the place, or rising and falling like a ship at sea. Did I mention I get sea-sick easily? :rolleyes:

Yea no matter what spring you have its a huge improvement the stocks were way to soft for the weight of the car. On a side note the other day a 30ish year old guy pulled up next to me at a light in another 5th gen and asked if my shocks were blown because mine sat so much lower then his lmao.

This is my work car, and I drive 3,000+ miles a month. Over bumps, LOTS of parking lots, etc. I just angle it :)

Interesting. Granted he's on 17's but Rutchard was telling me he scrapes the exhaust if his coilovers are set really low. I think his car rides higher than yours but I'm not positive.

^ i need to get some better pics up that was right after i installed them, they seemed to have settled a little more and god i need wheels lol KenYoshida's car looks real low in that rear pic. looks good man all theses cars needed was dumped and they look so much better.

I was going to do the separate spring/strut package but the coils are sound so much more appealing. Low in the summer raise it up in the winter and dampening all year long:lol:. Its just a matter of which ones to go with.

If you get lots of snow, spring and struts might be a better option... unless you shoot for KW V3's or RCE T2's.

I like the availability and info of Megan coil-overs but I'm unsure about the durability of brand.

The other set-ups I'm finding it a bit harder to find a lot of pricing or other info.

Racecomp Engineering Tarmac II Coilovers

BC Racing Coilovers

KW Version 3

I'm looking for a good brand to install myself or with a friend so I'd like to make it as straightforward as possible in case I have an issue.

You can probably run them but theres a greater chance of having the perches seize on you.... Megan and BC are pretty much the same thing.

Coilovers, even when SS, should be sprayed with some sort of rust inhibiting substance when its winter... its just that RCE T2's and KW V3's have a much lesser chance of having things go SNAFU since they are made from SS.

You can probably run them but theres a greater chance of having the perches seize on you.... Megan and BC are pretty much the same thing.

Coilovers, even when SS, should be sprayed with some sort of rust inhibiting substance when its winter... its just that RCE T2's and KW V3's have a much lesser chance of having things go SNAFU since they are made from SS.

Thanks, I forgot all about that issue. There are a lot more parts to seize from the weather. Here in PA they salt the bah-jiggers over everything in the winter and we get a fair amount of snow/ice.