LegacyGT.com

Clutch?

not ur avg girl

So I just took my car up to Toronto for the weekend and it started being funky.... when i go to accelerate around 3-4k RPM it just revs out and transfers nothing to the wheels. It's happened in all gears but does not happen all the time. I am not slipping the clutch at all myself.

Also, the clutch sometimes will 'stick' on releasing it. At the very top after the catch point it just sticks and then releases and comes all the way up.

I'm not too family with the clutch system but anyone else have this problem? Possibly slave cylinder?

If the pedal isn't being sprung back properly, it could be either the master cylinder sticking/leaking, the slave cylinder sticking/leaking, or the PP not functioning properly. Start with a simple fluid check, check around the cylinders for fluid, and the lines. If all that checks out, it's possible the PP is sticking. Has the engine been severely over-revved at all? It's also possible a spring in the friction disc jumped out... happened to me once, though you'd definitely notice that when it jams in between the flywheel and disc.

Also, it could be that the engagement point is set too low and the pedal isn't receiving enough kick from the MC to push the pedal all the way back up.

There are a lot of threads discussing clutch problems and aftermarket replacements. When my clutch went on my 05 @ 15k miles, I went with a SPEC 2+ as a replacement. Unfortunately, there was no aftermarket flywheel and I had to buy another dual-mass. The 06 WRX flywheel does not fit the 05 LGT's clutch, period. I tried and had to beg the dealership to take it back. As for aftermarket, the 2+ is wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone.

the warranty on this car says 3 years, 36000 miles including wear and tear items like the clutch.

Unless that was a new addition for 2008s, your car is perfect for an under-warranty replacement.

+1 my 08' manual says my clutch is covered under the 3yr/36k warranty.

I would check your warranty booklet that came w/ the car and go to another dealer. Especially if you dont have any mods on the car.

That sucks. I am sure it can be done cheaper.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

It can be done cheaper. Even by a dealer. I just had the clutch replaced in the '05 Legacy and the tab was $1000 for parts and labor. I ordered the parts from Chaplin BTW. The dealer wanted quite a bit more.

Since you're still under the bumper-to-bumper, I would stand your ground and make them replace it.

Same issue I had with my first clutch. It's a pressure plate issue and it sounds like your PP is bolluxed. Dealer should replace the whole thing, including the flywheel with a new setup under warranty (PP, FW, CD, TOB). If not, contact SOA and file a customer complaint.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Even our dealership charges less to install a clutch. I am wondering if that is with a new flywheel. If not, still kind of high.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

There are a lot of threads discussing clutch problems and aftermarket replacements. When my clutch went on my 05 @ 15k miles, I went with a SPEC 2+ as a replacement. Unfortunately, there was no aftermarket flywheel and I had to buy another dual-mass. The 06 WRX flywheel does not fit the 05 LGT's clutch, period. I tried and had to beg the dealership to take it back. As for aftermarket, the 2+ is wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone.

Just to clarify for you.....The 06 WRX flywheel does fit an 05 LGT if you use an 06 WRX clutch. With the SPEC clutches, they are designed to be used with the dual mass that is stock on the LGT.

Where can I look up terms to the warranty and who/how can I contact about a complaint? I'm a poor college student so I would like to get it resolved for very little.

Did you take it to Vanbortel Subaru? If so I hope they're a little more friendly when I need a clutch replaced under warranty.

http://www.subaru.com/owners/warranty/index.jsp?year=2008

Look under wear items here. Clutch is specifically listed.

Not sure what year you have, but it seems to be the same in 06 as well.

http://www.subaru.com/owners/warranty/index.jsp?year=2006

Thanks for the link.

Yes I took it to VanBortel and they were def friendly but the guy seemed to have no other solution.

The warranty says clutch lining, meaning... flywheel, PP etc??

But it's not the clutch lining, it's the pressure plate that failed and/or the TOB interface to the PP, which is causing the slipping (read: burned flywheel and worn clutch disk). Contact Subaru Customer Care 800-Subaru3 and open a claim. This is a hardware powertrain issue and there's been enough of these that they should at least meet you somewhere in the middle with assistance. Especially since you're under the 3yr/36K mile BTB Warranty.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

But it's not the clutch lining, it's the pressure plate that failed and/or the TOB interface to the PP, which is causing the slipping (read: burned flywheel and worn clutch disk). Contact Subaru Customer Care 800-Subaru3 and open a claim. This is a hardware powertrain issue and there's been enough of these that they should at least meet you somewhere in the middle with assistance. Especially since you're under the 3yr/36K mile BTB Warranty.

+1

The disk lining is generally considered a "wear item" and is not covered to protect the dealer from morons who slip the clutch constantly. A pressure plate failure could easily be considered a manufacturing defect. Go for it!

We have replaced the entire kit not just the clutch lining under warranty.

Archived