LegacyGT.com

Buying a LGT 08 - what options?

ProHobo

These may have been asked before - but I was unable to find a thread with them in it.

I was looking at the options list and there was a couple of items I was interested in. I know that most of the options are personal preference, but there are a couple of items that I would like to get some personal opinions on.

1. Short-throw shifter. I have the factory one in my WRX (that I am trading in), I really like it - but I was told to get a Cobb instead. Any thoughts as to getting the short-throw factory installed instead of after-market?

2. I am getting the manual tranny - so the NAV package is out. However, I was looking at thet gauge package. The picture on the web-site (subaru) is almost to small to see. What gauges are in it? Does it look good (or cheap)? Is it a good location for the gauge package? Is it worth it? If I don't get it what goes in that void (if no Nav or Gauge package)?

3. Sub-woofer. I am not to big of an audio guy and would not look to rip out the factory stereo to put in an after market. I will not be subscibing to Sirus either. However, I do listen to my own CDs (MP3s) and thought about up-grading the current sound system. What is the view on adding the pre-factory sub-woofer? Is it worth it or for that money should I look for after market?

4. Raised Arm Rest? My wife has a Forester and we got this option, which she likes - a place to put her elbow. However - I noticed in the LGT that there is a slider type compartment in the arm rest - does this cover that up? Is it is similar to the Forester?

5. Fog light kit - For $350 are they pretty good - or should I look for after market?

I will be ordering my Diamond Gray Metallic LGT probably next week!

Thanks for any tips or advice.

OEM Fog Lights I would get, the rest I would look into the aftermarket for.

The armrest is nice, but unless they're going to do it at cost I would do it yourself and safe some $, and potentially do the nicer European one instead. Same with the STS and Subwoofer.

According to the dealer - yes you can still order 08 GTs. The 09s will not be out until Sept (I think that is what he said). They have a 08 GT in the color I want in inventory.

I am trading my 04 WRX in - and was just wondering what options should I get or wait for after-market.

I think it will only be the fog-lights - as the Cobb Shifter (after I read reviews) seems better.

I have not seen any review on the gauge package - so I probably will not get that.

According to the dealer - yes you can still order 08 GTs. The 09s will not be out until Sept (I think that is what he said).

That is incorrect, '09s are already in production.

The dealer will probably take an '08 out of their inventory or swap with another dealer and add whatever options you want to it.

Guest heightsgtltd
I'd hold off for the 09, lots of improvements. Most importantly would be the HK speakers

I would get as few options financed into the price as possible. No reason to pay interest on all that stuff if you can help it. A lot of them are easy to add here/there for cash after purchase. I plan to get the shock sensor, homelink mirror and extension at some point, and possibly the factory sub.

No experience with the STS for the lgt, but based on everything I read here I think I will try the kartboy.

I guess the question is - IF (from what I was told by the dealer) there IS a 2008 GT avaliable - should I buy it now and IF so - should I "push" for a discount on the 08 vs. waiting for the 09?

I saw on another website the 09 prices are the same (as they came out on May 30th).

2009 pricing

So -I guess it would only be worth buying a 08 - if I am able to get a discount on it. Otherwise 30 days and get an 09!

I guess the question is - IF (from what I was told by the dealer) there IS a 2008 GT avaliable - should I buy it now and IF so - should I "push" for a discount on the 08 vs. waiting for the 09?

I saw on another website the 09 prices are the same (as they came out on May 30th).

2009 pricing

So -I guess it would only be worth buying a 08 - if I am able to get a discount on it. Otherwise 30 days and get an 09!

+1

A Subaru dealer by work told me if you don't order the fog light it comes with the holes only with no lights. Is this correct???

I'm confused, I thought fog lights are standard on LGT's. Are you talking about 2.5i? Either way for MY08 there is a cover that has "intakes" where the fog lights would go. It's not the regular fog light cover with a hole in it.

http://imgs.getauto.com/imgs/ag/ga/02/28/1/4S3BL616887200228-1.jpg

If you really want a shortened shifter action, get BOTH the Subaru STS and one of the after-market short shifters. Subaru's short-throw is in the linkage, not the shifter arm; the others lower the top of the shifter in-car by an inch or so. Getting both (with, obviously, the STS first) gives the best of both worlds and a truly short, snappy shift mechanism. And, although I have no experience with those bushings, everyone who has them raves about them. HPH

I'm confused, I thought fog lights are standard on LGT's. Are you talking about 2.5i? Either way for MY08 there is a cover that has "intakes" where the fog lights would go. It's not the regular fog light cover with a hole in it.

http://imgs.getauto.com/imgs/ag/ga/02/28/1/4S3BL616887200228-1.jpg

you think those covers will fit ontop of 08' LGT Fogs if I remove the bezel? I prefer the all black bezel and that squarer cutout than the round black and silver combo.

Well - no more 08 GTs in the color and in manual. - The dealer just called me.

So it looks like the 09 is what I will be getting.

However - I asked him the price and he said he didn't KNOW. But he wants to order one for me, but I am not about to put down a deposit unless he can give me a price. Also I want to drive (or at the very least see one).

He said I should drive the non-GT version (which they have an 08) to get the feeling of the car and then drive a WRX to feel the power.

I said - how about you just order the GT - when it comes in I will drive it.

I am still thinking about the STI or Spec-B (but that is more than I want to spend).

Additionally - I want to SEE the color before buying by looking at a picture of the color. He doesn't have a single Diamond Grey on the lot. So I have no idea what the color looks like.

So I am going over there today to see if this guy really wants to sell me a car. He won't even give me a price (says he doesn't know what they are yet). Which I find crazy - because he says he can order one?

• 2 weeks later...
My 08 DGM LGT is a 5EAT w/nav, and I have a well optioned car other minus the spoiler which I didn't really want. I would definitely recommend the armrest extension, (mine is always in the up position) the auto dim rear view mirror w/homelink, all weather floor mats and a rear cargo net. Since you aren't getting the Nav the sub woofer might be nice. I was looking at the 2009 brochure and the only differences I saw were two new colors; a forest green and a red. They need to bring back white with the black interior. Thats the hottest combo.

+ 1 on WeatherTech mats !!

Amazing quality and superior fitment. My wife spilled an entire large soda (thankfully not one drop elsewhere) I carefully took it out and hosed it off and put it right back in. Gotta love it!

"These may have been asked before - but I was unable to find a thread with them in it.

I was looking at the options list and there was a couple of items I was interested in. I know that most of the options are personal preference, but there are a couple of items that I would like to get some personal opinions on."

1. Short-throw shifter. I have the factory one in my WRX (that I am trading in), I really like it - but I was told to get a Cobb instead. Any thoughts as to getting the short-throw factory installed instead of after-market?

I have the Spec-B and 6spd and really love my factory short shift kit. Really short throws with great feel.

2. I am getting the manual tranny - so the NAV package is out. However, I was looking at thet gauge package. The picture on the web-site (subaru) is almost to small to see. What gauges are in it? Does it look good (or cheap)? Is it a good location for the gauge package? Is it worth it? If I don't get it what goes in that void (if no Nav or Gauge package)?

I’d suggest the gauge kit bought separately and install your own gauges. You’d be much happier.

3. Sub-woofer. I am not to big of an audio guy and would not look to rip out the factory stereo to put in an after market. I will not be subscibing to Sirus either. However, I do listen to my own CDs (MP3s) and thought about up-grading the current sound system. What is the view on adding the pre-factory sub-woofer? Is it worth it or for that money should I look for after market?

Cannot comment, having the Nav I would prefer the factory unit but the base is decent without it (I rarely go over 9 on the volumne). I may add it later.

4. Raised Arm Rest? My wife has a Forester and we got this option, which she likes - a place to put her elbow. However - I noticed in the LGT that there is a slider type compartment in the arm rest - does this cover that up? Is it is similar to the Forester?

Don’t know, I’m usually driving too fast to not have 2 hands on the wheel … ;)

5. Fog light kit - For $350 are they pretty good - or should I look for after market?

Aftermarket will never “look” oem so you’d have to be ok with that. The OEM fogs really don’t put out enough light to be that useful. What they really do is alert cars ahead of you that you are coming up on them…in a big way. More so if you have yellow fogs. So think of it more as a safety issue. I could slow down too though….nah.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Archived