LegacyGT.com

Subaru Sales Slump, December and Year

Beanboy

Forester sales fell 24 percent to 3,992 vehicles from 5,242 in December 2006.

Legacy sales fell to 7,897, a 12 percent year-over-year decline.

The losses were partially offset by sales of the company's Impreza model, which grew 23 percent to 5,376 vehicles.

For the full year, Subaru sales fell 6.7 percent to 187,208 vehicles from 200,703 in 2006. Adjusted for one more selling day in 2007, Subaru sales fell 7 percent.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5425287.html

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forester sales fell 24 percent to 3,992 vehicles from 5,242 in December 2006.

Legacy sales fell to 7,897, a 12 percent year-over-year decline.

The losses were partially offset by sales of the company's Impreza model, which grew 23 percent to 5,376 vehicles.

For the full year, Subaru sales fell 6.7 percent to 187,208 vehicles from 200,703 in 2006. Adjusted for one more selling day in 2007, Subaru sales fell 7 percent.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5425287.html

Not too shocking. The Forester has some tough competition in a crossover segment; much tougher than anything it encountered in the past. The Forester comes off as terribly dated compared to say...a CX-7 or RAV4. The interior is disgusting.

Once the Forester steps up its game, it will probably do better. It can’t be all about utility in this market. Furthermore, I have no doubt the Outback is cannibalizing Forester sales, in the same way the new WRX is cannibalizing the Legacy

i think once subaru steps up the game w/ all of their models it will help their sales tremendously... the awd/turbo is enough to keep up as many vehicles are offering that these days....updated interior appearance and more options..nav, maybe mobile video for forester..which i believe the tribeca offers..luckily they changed the face of that vehicle!...Also once they get their advertising down a bit better I'm sure that will help a lot as well!

i think once subaru steps up the game w/ all of their models it will help their sales tremendously... the awd/turbo is enough to keep up as many vehicles are offering that these days....updated interior appearance and more options..nav, maybe mobile video for forester..which i believe the tribeca offers..luckily they changed the face of that vehicle!...Also once they get their advertising down a bit better I'm sure that will help a lot as well!

I agree.

Subaru seems to be getting the hint on the interiors. The 2008 Legacy GT has the best interior they've ever done, and it comes with tons of toys if you get it loaded. Not quite on Honda status, but easily on par or better than the Altima, Camry and Mazda6. The Legacy isnt as well marketed as those cars though

The Impreza is much better, but still behind the compact segment leader, the Mazda3 in terms of looks. The WRX has lots of momentum though. Its sure to be a big seller just because of the name alone

The Forester needs the same treatment. The new interior on the 09 model looks way better than the outgoing model, and about equal to the very hot Mazda CX-7 at a glance.

Overall, I think Subaru is in good shape. Their cars are getting more toys, better interiors, and more appealing exteriors. Overall I think they are set for a good 2008.

Maybe offering some choices and options, and available equipment, and smart product placement might help.

And... having the cars on the lots might help, too.

Bluetooth

optional NAV, rather than either mandatory or not available at all

optional HID, maybe with automatic switching.

seat/mirror memory (it's not just for the Spec B anymore.)

heated and cooled seats, maybe more comfortable, perhaps, too.

AUDIO OPTIONS!!! and a possibility to install aftermarket double-DIN head units, like japan has.

STI options package, perhaps? even just "tuned by-" with Brembos, and more agressive aerokit, and 300hp from the new STI VF48, TMIC, and intake manifold... c'mon it is a no-brainer.

Go back to a 26k GT non-limited, 30k Spec B with option availability mentioned above, full colors and production to displace the GT Limited, and 34k Legacy STI to complement WRX STI at same price. This is so damn easy, why is it not happening already?

Otherwise:

Imprezas are now ugly.

Foresters might be ok, but could have been even better. Could have been a knockout, instead it is a bit of a wall-flower, still.

Tribeca is getting better, but first impressions last year have done damage. Doesn't stand out. Should have the same option list as the legacy that I mentioned above.

Legacys and Outbacks should get the options and features that would make it competitive.

A COUPE, or TWO!!! SVX GT coupe replacement based on Legacy, 3-door hatch bodystyle resurrection of 2.5RS idiom, based on impreza, but much better looking.

Styling is not bringing people in for test drives. Driving these cars sells them.

I don't think that the new Forester is going to help them all that much. It doesn't offer anymore power, it doesn't offer any better fuel economy, it doesn't offer anymore room/seating capacity. It just has a new shell.

And I thought that the new Tribeca would have helped more, but I guess with high gas prices and the redesigned Highlander it was at a disadvantage.

could do like dodge/chrysler and throw a STI badge on everything like they did w/ SRT? haha..that seems to be helping a lot..only time will tell...they are a great company..and the life style that comes with only a Subaru is that much better...hopefully it will not crumble to lack of simple cosmetic and technology upgrades! C'mon folks!

could do like dodge/chrysler and throw a STI badge on everything like they did w/ SRT? haha..that seems to be helping a lot..only time will tell...they are a great company..and the life style that comes with only a Subaru is that much better...hopefully it will not crumble to lack of simple cosmetic and technology upgrades! C'mon folks!

I live in Utah. Subaru is HUGE here. You cant go a block or two without seeing at least one. I can say most Subaru owners here could care less about ricer tuning, Brembo whatever or big spoilers.

Some people think making everything more STI like is exactly what Subaru needs to become #1. But like you said, there is something that comes with the Subaru lifestyle, which is not rooted in street racers who think everyone just wants a turbo, but no sunroof because it takes .01 seconds off their stop light to stop light sprints.

Subaru is making the right changes in terms of looks inside and out. The interiors are at least competitive now. The exteriors are better as well. I am glad they are keeping the utility, adding just the right touches, and un-pimping ze motos with efforts like the 2008 STI

Fuel economy is going to be big in 2008, something that might hit Subarus fairly hard. That and the number of crossovers in the US market seem to keep growing something I don't think will slow down as fuel prices creep up and folks want to 'sit higher' while still getting decent fuel economy.

Think the new Forester will be a plus, finally at least caught up to the competition in some areas. Anybody know how the Tribeca did?

Fuel economy is going to be big in 2008, something that might hit Subarus fairly hard. That and the number of crossovers in the US market seem to keep growing something I don't think will slow down as fuel prices creep up and folks want to 'sit higher' while still getting decent fuel economy.

Think the new Forester will be a plus, finally at least caught up to the competition in some areas. Anybody know how the Tribeca did?

That's why SOA needs to bring over the diesel.

My g/f is looking into getting the '08 Impreza 2.5i wagon. As much as I hate how it looks, it's actually a very well priced and equipped car in the $20k range. She especially like the Nav system available for the car. The only 2 decent competition I can find for it is the Mazda3 hatch and the new 2009 Toyota Matrix. The 3 is actually more expensive when similarly equipped and it doesn't even have AWD option. The Matrix is much better looking car IMHO but the AWD model with 2.4 Camry engine actually is heavier, has less hp and worst fuel economy... Go figure. The 2 things that I think would help the 2.5i is a diesel option to help up the fuel economy into the mid-30 mpg range and the 5EAT from the Legacy.

Tribeca sales drop 10% YTD from 2006...

http://i18.tinypic.com/86t6om0.jpg

Interesting thing is the Legacy sales numbers for 2006. A lot of people on the board complained about SOA canceling the wagon for MY08. Well they only sold about 4,200 wagons for MY07, compare to over 59,000 Outbacks. From a business point of view you can't really blame the SOA for stop making the Legacy wagon.

Looks like the 2008 Impreza wagon is doing very well.

Yup. I think when the new 2009 Mazda6 with AWD option comes out it's going to put a big dent in the Legacy sales. We can argue all we want about how Subaru's system is superior but most of the buying public is not going to care.

Agreed. Subaru needs to add more compelling aspects on top of their good foundation. As I said, there isn't anything drawing people in to drive the cars, and driving the cars, sells the cars.

I live in Utah. Subaru is HUGE here. You cant go a block or two without seeing at least one. I can say most Subaru owners here could care less about ricer tuning, Brembo whatever or big spoilers.

Some people think making everything more STI like is exactly what Subaru needs to become #1. But like you said, there is something that comes with the Subaru lifestyle, which is not rooted in street racers who think everyone just wants a turbo, but no sunroof because it takes .01 seconds off their stop light to stop light sprints.

Subaru is making the right changes in terms of looks inside and out. The interiors are at least competitive now. The exteriors are better as well. I am glad they are keeping the utility, adding just the right touches, and un-pimping ze motos with efforts like the 2008 STI

I don't completely disagree with you, but I don't wholeheartedly agree, either.

I think Subaru needs to STI-ify the Legacy. BADLY. it is a sport sedan, and the way the WRX STI looks, some of us won't entertain an ugly econobox, even if it IS that bloody fast, as a brit might say. The Legacy sedan is even more "un-pimped" an auto, and more normal looking than the hump-back impreza.

Most people may not like street racer cars. That is not what a Legacy STI is about, and most of those buyers buy Outbacks and Tribecas and Foresters more than Legacys anyway... Look how late the 3.0R Legacy is to that party, only after the Outback 3.0R sedan exited stage left.

I am not saying that Subaru needs to STI-ify EVERYTHING. I think the Legacy deserves it. Mazdaspeed6, BMW M3, Lexus IS-F, C-class AMG, G8 GT (likely to get GXP model), Possible Aura Redline, Impala SS, Caddilac CTS-V, and others are ALL sub-branded performance sedans. Why not Legacy STI?

Forester STI has happened in the past, and has been fairly well received, and even slightly referenced in the US market XT Sport, styling-wise, sans the actual STI badge and hardware. Legacy doesn't even get STI-looking body kit action to look sportier on the GT.

I disagree with the assertion that they are doing the right thing with looks, colors, and options. The interiors might look ok, but they aren't available with a color choice. They don't have the amenities other cars have. It is good in it's own context, but it isn't great, or as competitive as Subaru needs to be.

And the Legacy dropping Red and Regal blue, but adding 4 gray-scales and 2 browns is BAD. Newport blue is the only real color color left, and it only comes with tan interior. :angry: White, silver, gray, and black are boring, but I understand why they are popular with others. Beige and mocha brown, I might understand on the sedate 3.0R, but it seems to be depriving paint-booth bandwidth for other colors on the GT. I can't replace my red Legacy with a newer model. That SUCKS.

3.0R, Tribeca, Impreza-outback sport, Forester, Outback wagon... all can appeal to the "lifestyle" crowd. But they still need to have the amenities options to compete with Audi, Infiniti, Acura, even Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Saab, Volvo, Saturn, Chevy, Buick, and the rest. But Subaru also needs to step up the sport side of things to compete with Mazda and Pontiac, which the Legacy could do, with proper support.

I can say that there isn't anything that I want from Subaru right now. Thats a first. If I were in the market for an SUV I would buy a Tribeca, but Im not. And with the complaints of dash rattles and engine studders it doesn't sound like I want a LGT.

Dash rattles are better on newer examples, but the newer examples have less option and color choice.

I am facing that, as well. If my Legacy were wrecked, I might not buy another, unless I can find the exact same thing I already have, which was hard enough to find the first time, and I had to drive half way across the country to bring it home.

If I was forced to get a new car to replace the LGT right now I know it won't be the '08 LGT. '08 STI is a possibility but I really don't think I want to pay $35k for it. The upcoming Lancer Ralliart is a good possibility if it makes to the USDM in the hatchback form. Mazdaspeed3 is interesting but I'm actually not a fan of it's look. I don't know, I might just pick up an used Evo IX or Mini Cooper S and wait for something more appealing to come out.

I would probably end up with a nice used G35 6-speed coupe. I'd like a G37, but no-way I can afford a 6-speed sport package, even if I got a big insurance payoff for my Legacy's value.

Or I might go with a smaller, cheaper car with no debt implication, and save for something nicer in the nearer future. (maybe a late-production 2.5RS coupe with an STI 2.5 turbo swap...)

Since I doubt that I would be able to find another Legacy like mine, Id prolly consider an '00-'05 Impreza (cost is a factor), a Prelude, or if I actually had a little money, the new Focus...I love the Michael Bolton commercial.

Since I doubt that I would be able to find another Legacy like mine, Id prolly consider an '00-'05 Impreza (cost is a factor), a Prelude, or if I actually had a little money, the new Focus...I love the Michael Bolton commercial.

:lol: Love the commercial but there is no way I'm buying the '08 Focus regardless how good the commercial is.

The new Corolla wagaon, aka Matrix is actually pretty good looking for a econo car. The FWD version should get over 30 mpg.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/10/09_matrix_xrs_03.jpg

Archived