LegacyGT.com

My Letter'S To Subaru LONG

Im sure many of you know I am not too happy with my 2008 LGT 5EAT. The Stutter is one problem, and Subaru customer service is another. I wrote a ltter to them on October 10th 2007 regarding the issues with my vehicle and their customer service. Here is what I wrote. Names have been removed.

I have been a loyal Subaru customer and enthusiast for many years. I purchased my first Subaru in 2003, a 1995 Legacy L sedan. It was a great vehicle and very reliable. I have always praised the ability and reliability of Subaru all wheel drive. I considered Subaru vehicles to be some of the best all around vehicles on the market. When I was ready to purchase a new vehicle the name Subaru was the first thing that came to my mind.

Subaru has advertised that their vehicles are “Rally Inspired” with their symmetrical all wheel drive and turbocharged boxer engines in street legal form ready for action. My first test drive of the 2008 Legacy GT and previous ownership and familiararity of the Legacy line told me to purchase on the spot. If I had known the Legacy GT would cause me problems in the near future, I would have deeply reconsidered my purchase.

I understand that Subaru management can be really busy at times, but it is unfortunate that a company I have praised over the years has repeatedly treated me with complete disregard. I have been contacting Subaru of America for months’ regarding a problem that I feel most importantly above all is a safety issue. I have been experiencing a hesitation in the 3K to 4K RPM range with my brand new 2008 Subaru Legacy GT 5EAT (VIN: 4S3BL676984******). I have explained this problem many times to Subaru of America. They gave me a case number (#1017339) and suggested I bring the vehicle to the dealer to have it inspected for problems. The dealership has surpassed my expectations with their patience and commitment to help and try to diagnose my problem. Subaru of America on the other hand has disappointed me with their lack of knowledge pertaining to the vehicle and poor customer relations.

I brought my vehicle to Maine Mall Motors. I accompanied the master technician on a test drive and explained the problem. The technician experienced the hesitation and I immediately scheduled an appointment to address it. The outcome I was told was the torque converter going into full lock up. I did not feel that was the problem I was experiencing so I called Subaru of America. The case had been elevated and handed over to ***, the senior representative for Subaru of New England. Every time I call Subaru of America which has been almost everyday since I have had this problem I am always told that *** is working on the case and she will follow up with me the following day. *** has not once followed up with me regarding the problem. I have always had to call and ask to speak with ***, and most of the time she is unavailable to take my call.

The second time I dropped my vehicle off at the dealer, *** the regional representative for Subaru took it for a test drive. Even after explaining the problem numerous times to Subaru over the phone, *** tried to diagnose a transmission problem that was non existent. I called Subaru of America to speak with *** who was unavailable. I asked to have her call me back immediately to discuss what the regional representative had tried to diagnose. She never called me back. Once again I had to keep calling until she was available to take my call. *** had no answers for me nor did *** when I insisted that he call me.

On Friday September 28th I received a phone call from the service manager *** at Maine Mall Subaru. He asked me when I was going to be dropping my car off to have a Subaru Technician diagnose my vehicle. The only available time was 10:30 am on either Monday October 1st or Thursday October 4th. I was very confused because the dealership thought *** had already informed me. I was never told by ***, or anyone at Subaru of America that this was going to be taking place. I had called Subaru of America and spoke with ***. I told her it would be difficult to get time off from work on such short notice to accompany the Subaru technician on a drive. She insisted I had to be there for proper diagnoses. After thinking about it for a while I finally agreed and decided I would see the technician on Thursday October 4th at 10:30 am. On Thursday October 4th I arrived at Maine Mall Motors around 10:15 am where the Subaru technician and *** the regional representative were ready to go for a drive and take data logs of my vehicle. I described the problem I was having and the technician asked me to recreate the conditions when the hesitation began. I was able to recreate the instance twice using Sport Shift in S# mode, but the technician did not want me to further the test. On the way back to the dealer I was asked to keep the transmission in “D” and drive normally without allowing the transmission to downshift or let the engine go into boost. As expected there were no problems driving in these conditions. The engine RPM remained low, and the transmission was in the highest gear. These parameters would not show the hesitation I am experiencing on the computer logs. I insisted that the technician drive my vehicle but he refused twice.

I feel this test was inconclusive. For the proper data to be recorded and analyzed, another test would need to be conducted with my personal real world driving conditions. I discussed this with *** and I also mentioned to him that I would like to see the data that was collected. I was not able to get a hold of the data. The technician had rushed out of the dealership before I was able to talk to him. I felt as though I had wasted his time. *** informed me that I would be contacted on Friday October 5th by *** who would explain the test results to me. I did not receive contact from anyone at Subaru of America on Friday. On Monday October 8th I was contacted late in the day by *** at Subaru of America and she told me the logs that were recorded showed no problems with my vehicle. I had explained to her that the test did not depict my real world driving and that the technician didn’t want to drive my car. *** did not understand anything I told her about the technical aspects of the test. She explained that there was nothing more that could be done. I made her very well aware that I was still dissatisfied with the outcome.

The vehicle still does not perform as advertised or expected. The all wheel drive system and the high performance turbocharged boxer engine in the newly restyled 2008 Legacy GT were the two most important aspects that prompted me to purchase a new Legacy. I find it difficult to believe there is a reflash available for this specific problem on the 2008 Legacy GT with a 5 speed manual transmission and for the 2008 Legacy GT spec.b with the 6 speed transmission. Nobody can explain to me why this is.

I would like to know what the next step Subaru of America is going to take to rectify the problem. This is not something I want to deal with for as long as I own the vehicle. I feel as though I have been misled by Subaru with their advertisements for the Legacy GT. I would appreciate a written response within 14 days.

Thank you

Carter M. Brainerd

I recieved a response after just 7 days. Here is the letter I got back from the senior rep I had spoken to the whole time. I am assuming SOA just handed her the letter to handle it herself. I was not amused.

Dear Mr. Brainerd,

Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) is in receipt of your letter dated October 10th 2007 regarding the above referenced vehicle.

Please understand that the Subaru District Manager and Technical Specialest drove your vehicle with you at Maine Mall Subaru on October 4th, 2007. The purpose of driving this vehicle with you was necessary in an effort to determine once and for all, if there were any manufacturing defects with your vehicle. The outcome of their inspection/test drive with you has revealed that your vehicle is operating as designed and no repairs are reccomended or required at this time.

SOA supports our Field Representatives' findings and we regret to hear that you continue to be dissatisfied with your vehicle. Thank you for contacting SOA and allowing us to further explain our position in this matter.

Sincerely,

senior representative

customer/dealer services

I immediately got working on another letter. The reply did not address any of my concerns with customer service let alone the vehicle itself. I am especially suprised that nothing was said about my believing the car has a safety issue. This is the letter I sent out today.

First and foremost thank you for the prompt reply to my letter. Unfortunately you have not addressed any of my complaints and concerns. Once again I have been pushed aside even when I stated to you that I felt my vehicle has a safety issue. Once again I am requesting a copy of the data that was recorded by the Technician from Subaru of America.

I have had other problems with the vehicle since I sent my first letter to Subaru of America. The car stalled on me twice on Friday October 19th. Once in the middle of an intersection where I could have been easily rear ended. This problem is unacceptable for any vehicle. The following day I was at the Maine Mall for a couple of hours. When I came back out to my vehicle and started it up the VDC light was on, the Check Engine light was on, and the cruise and “S” lights were flashing. I called Subaru roadside assistance and they specifically told me not to drive the vehicle and that they would have it towed to the dealership. The problem was a Mass Air Sensor connection problem and it seems to be fixed for the time being.

I am still convinced that there is a problem with my vehicle. The fact that I feel it is a safety issue and that you have just brushed me aside really concerns me. I hope this is not the way Subaru deals with all the safety problems they may have with their vehicles. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away.

I would appreciate a written response from the Manager of Subaru New England, *** or one of her superiors as I have given *** multiple chances to rectify the situation and no progress has been made. This has gone on long enough. Any further attempts to delay a resolution will result in legal action against Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) via the attorney general. I would very much prefer to settle this without getting anyone else involved, but my complaints and concerns are ignored repeatedly. I am more than willing to work with Subaru of America towards a resolution that can work for both Subaru and myself if Subaru of America is interested.

Thank you,

Carter M. Brainerd

I really hope this will get a more serious and helpful response. I will post further updates as I recieve them.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest heightsgtltd
For what its worth, sometimes its a good thing to mention that you are active on a Subaru legacy GT enthusiasts board and that the members have been following this story with great interest ;)

For what its worth, sometimes its a good thing to mention that you are active on a Subaru legacy GT enthusiasts board and that the members have been following this story with great interest ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Exactly...

About 95% of us here experience hesitation!!!!

This is really bad from SoA, one would expect a better treatment and response...

By continuing doing this, Legacy sales will only continue to drop in the future... Sad sad sad....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I've had to deal with Sprint on many occasions. One particular time, the main issue was a difference in policy; what I was told via e-mail was different that what I was told in the corporate stores which was also different that what I was told over the phone. So I drafted this long letter with dates/time/names as best I could and e-mail transcripts. I then sent it to the CEO

The response I got was a phone call, the lady saying she was sorry I didn't understand their policy and then gave me a credit for one month's service. I was pissed. I could have just yelled at someone over the phone for a few minutes to get that credit. I wanted a freaking explanation!

Well crafted letters.

I use to get hesitation all the time when I was stock. It was bad, it shuddered and everything. Then I flashed cobb stage 1 and it was nearly eliminated. After going stage 2, I have either grown so used to it that I block it out or it never happens.

I think TDC had some reasoning behind the studder/shudder , I will try to dig up the thread....

It looks like most of you dont have to deal with Subaru of New England and I think you might be lucky. I'm not sexist or anything but both the Manager and Senior rep for SONE are both women who when I talk to them on the phone know nothing about the vehicle. The phone reps always told me that those two would know more about the technical aspects of the vehicle. Yo would think they would hire someone who knew Subaru vehicles inside and out for the most part.

Well crafted letters.

I hope you mean mine :)

Their letter was messed up, what I typed up there is with name and grammatical corrections. It looks like a general letter with names put in and not well thought out.

I typed my letters up professionally with the date, "certified mail" and SOA and address spelt out at the top and I did a CC to the dealership. Everyone of importance has a record of the letters.

I have tried so hard not to be rude or disrespectful in my letters. I only want to be firm and to the point and I want all my facts right. I made 4 drafts of the first letter before I even sent it out, and 3 of the second letter. I put a lot of thought in them and wrote down my ideas on paper before I wrote them up. I think I have covered all my bases. I am very curious to know what the next step SOA is going to take. When I got their letter I got the impression they thought i would just let it go at that and be done with it. I do not want to get the Attorney General involved, go to court, or go through any other legal battle. I am confident that SOA will eventually come out with an ECU update in time, but I have no proof of that. If they are working on one, they could at least say so. To them all I have is a car, to me, I have a $35,000 vehicle that does not perform as advertised.

Carter, the letter is detailed and full of information. However, complaint letters usually work best when they are concise and to the point. You might want to take another shot at this, summarizing in no more than 2 or 3 paragraphs what's wrong and what you expect them to do about it. Be firm but courteous. Then attach a separate page with the details. Instead of using a narrative form, try using a list, chronologically ordered, with dates included.

That makes it easy for the customer service person to understand what you are requesting, without reading through all the details they don't understand and probably just skimmed anyway because they didn't want to spend time reading all of that stuff. The list is useful to the next person they pass it to, because they will want the particulars of the car's performance problem without having to wade through you pleading your case. The chronological list in bite sized chunks (not paragraphs of narrative) make it much easier to digest and draw a conclusion.

Good luck.

When I got their letter I got the impression they thought i would just let it go at that and be done with it. I do not want to get the Attorney General involved, go to court, or go through any other legal battle. I am confident that SOA will eventually come out with an ECU update in time, but I have no proof of that.

Guess what? They thought you would do squat AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Boy, those guys at SOA have you nailed!

Why the heck are you confident about SOA fixing your stuttering problem when people have been complaining about it since the Legacy GT came out in 2004?

The fact is that SOA knows 99% of all customers will not pursue their complaints beyond a politely-worded much-too-long letter.

Instead of posting your letter here in an attempt to get sympathy, do something if you believe you actually have a case.

Isn't funny you complain about hesitation when, in fact, you are its greatest proponent?:spin:

Guess what? They thought you would do squat AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Boy, those guys at SOA have you nailed!

Why the heck are you confident about SOA fixing your stuttering problem when people have been complaining about it since the Legacy GT came out in 2004?

The fact is that SOA knows 99% of all customers will not pursue their complaints beyond a politely-worded much-too-long letter.

Instead of posting your letter here in an attempt to get sympathy, do something if you believe you actually have a case.

Isn't funny you complain about hesitation when, in fact, you are its greatest proponent?:spin:

Sounds like this is going to get interesting. :munch:

2005 LGT w/ dom. 3 + meth - Sold.

Why doesnt this forum have an irgnore button??

First off BUDDY, I am following the law for the State of Maine. I can't just say, hey its a lemon, give me my money back. Things dont work that way.

Step 1.) Maine State Lemon Law requires you to get in contact with the manufacturer to try and resolve it before going straight to the Attorney General.

If that fails then I will proced to step 2

Step 2.) Send a pre-written letter supplied by the Attorney General to the manufacturer giving them a final oportunity to repair. If the vehicle is not repaired in a reasonable amount of time (7 days), or 3 or more attempts, procede to step 3.

Step 3.) Continue with Arbitration. You can choose A. State Run Lemon Law Arbitration or B. Manufacturer Sponsored Lemon Arbitration.

If I choose Manufacturer Sponsered I can reject or accpet their offer. If I reject, I can choose State run. The Attorney General would review the case and make a decision within 45 days.

Why doesnt this forum have an irgnore button??

First off BUDDY, I am following the law for the State of Maine. I can't just say, hey its a lemon, give me my money back. Things dont work that way.

Step 1.) Maine State Lemon Law requires you to get in contact with the manufacturer to try and resolve it before going straight to the Attorney General.

If that fails then I will proced to step 2

Step 2.) Send a pre-written letter supplied by the Attorney General to the manufacturer giving them a final oportunity to repair. If the vehicle is not repaired in a reasonable amount of time (7 days), or 3 or more attempts, procede to step 3.

Step 3.) Continue with Arbitration. You can choose A. State Run Lemon Law Arbitration or B. Manufacturer Sponsored Lemon Arbitration.

If I choose Manufacturer Sponsered I can reject or accpet their offer. If I reject, I can choose State run. The Attorney General would review the case and make a decision within 45 days.

First of all Pal, your letters to SOA were long, boring and displayed weakness. What was all that crap about knowing they are busy, but ....?

Second of all, if you got half as mad with SOA in your dealings with them as you did with my post they probably wouldn't have put you on their ignore list.

Third, learn to write short letters. If you don't, the Attorney General will ignore you, too!

Fourth, I expect no fewer than four drafts prior to a final response to this post.

(Let's see if Carter found the ignore button.)

From what I found in complaining about my speedometer failure SOA really could care less about appeasing you, the customer. You bought the car, good, we don't care if you buy another one or not is what it felt like. And all I asked was that they send out a service bulliten to to their blue ribbon or whatever the crap its called service departments informing them how to properly fix this without wasting the customers money as mine was.

The sad truth: a probably will buy another Subaru.

Archived