LegacyGT.com

Loss of Boost.... Please Help!!!!

subielova88

Like the title says i lost some boost. I have the stage 1 tune from infamoustuning. It was fine for awhile until one day i started my car in the morning and drove it, and felt like it was really slow. With the tune it used to spike to 17 and drop and hold at like 15-16 psi. Now it only spikes to 9 and drops to 8 psi. There is no check engine light on, and i cant see any boost leaks. Any ideas on what might of happened?? I wanted to plug in my tactrix cable and run a log but the freakin connection inside the tactrix obd2 connector just fell out, and now I'm waiting till i get it fixed. So I'm stuck with boosting only 8 psi and its so boring lol. Anyone please give me any ideas on what it might be. Thanks

Sounds like you are in limp mode. This typically happens when your knock sensor has picked up knock events/noise and the counts have increased to a point where the only way to counteract it is to retard timing and lower the ignition advance multiplier.

You might want to inspect all lines to make sure they are fully fastened. Also inspect your intercooler for signs that it has blown the end tank tabs. Inspect your turbo inlet for tears, anything air related could be culprit.

I seriously doubt the tune is bad, but it could be a possibility. Another issue could be bad gas. Also check/replace spark plugs every 60k.

If you don't do work yourself, start with a pressure test. If this yields positive results, move on to a compression and leakdown test.

Also, please provide your mileage.

Like the title says i lost some boost. I have the stage 1 tune from infamoustuning. It was fine for awhile until one day i started my car in the morning and drove it, and felt like it was really slow.

I seriously doubt the tune is bad, but it could be a possibility.

"It was fine for awhile" = not the tune

• Mega Users

It does sound like its at spring pressure, but i dont think you can go into limp mode and not get a cel. I could be wrong though.

Btw, 17 to 15 psi sounds like stg 2 boost. Sounds pretty agressive for stg 1.

It does sound like its at spring pressure, but i dont think you can go into limp mode and not get a cel. I could be wrong though.

Btw, 17 to 15 psi sounds like stg 2 boost. Sounds pretty agressive for stg 1.

There is no CEL for limp mode.

Also, stage 1 to stage 2 boost is only 1-2 psi more (even on Cobb OTS). I believe the timing advance is more aggressive with the stage 2.

• Mega Users
There is no CEL for limp mode.

Also, stage 1 to stage 2 boost is only 1-2 psi more (even on Cobb OTS). I believe the timing advance is more aggressive with the stage 2.

Its usually 15/16 peak. I was under the impression that 17 was not the best idea with a stock dp. I know 1psi is not that big a deal, but i though 16 was pushing it. If that is not the case, i got some boost tuning to do. I know the differences between most stg1 and 2 maps, but its the first ive heard of boost this agressive with stg1.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, funny thing is I drove the car home after work today and all seems fine, the boost is there, pulls real hard like it did before. This is really weird lol, but I think that COMPSURGE is onto something with this. My co-worker/also a mechanic was just telling me the exact same thing as you did Compsurge. I did notice a small oil leak tho from the side of the intercooler right on top of the turbo. I changed my spark plugs like 5k miles ago, always use 93 octane gas from shell (v-power), and my car has currently 69k miles. I'm just waiting for my friend to finish repairing my tactrix obd2 connector so i can do some logging and see whats going on. I'll drive the car tomorrow and see what happens, with all the info i gave you, if you guys still have any ideas of what it might be please let me know. Thanks guys, you are all very helpful

Archived