LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

I just got my board installed tonight. After a quick run through RadioShack (placed my order right before the pro kit came out), I was up and running in less than two hours. Probably would have been sooner if I would have done it in the daylight, plus probably wouldn't have mistaken the two top screws for the two deeper screws on the head unit. Good thing I didn't yank too hard, and just bent the bracket a little bit. I routed about 2 inches of the patch cable through my ashtray which plugs right into the base of my Belkin iPod charger/tuner. Barely notice it there, and sounds a ton better than the FM transmitter. In any case, very easy install, thanks jazzy!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the boy taking his afternoon nap, I had some time to complete the install. So, I took my time and lucky for me I had no trouble with loosening screws, cables or components.

Installed the board as per instructions and tips. I connected the male-to male 6' cable to the board and routed it through the armrest extension. I plugged the GLI in so that it was accessible without any future tear-apart, and then connected the GLI to this dock: (http://www.tentechnology.com/products/products_flexibledock.php). When all was said and done, no trips to Radio Shack were required and no extra connectors or couplers were used. The iPod can be connected quickly with one hand (no fumbling with a connector cable each time I get into the car) and it is within quick reach while in the car (see pics).

Now for the Emmy speech: I think any comment of thanks to Jazzy will be grossly understated, but thanks very much Jazzy for your effort and the detail in your work. Thanks for the many other tips in the posts. They were ALL helpful and some were entertaining (going Chuck Norris on the console and going Hogmeat-style.... Man, you cannot buy these types of very useful and accurate descriptions... I wish I could offer some great tip on the install, but as I look back, they were already covered! Thanks again Jazzy and thanks again everyone! (queue the music, go to commercial...)

PolarDog

2.thumb.JPG.dfbe9998ff5a046d8422a16387ceb203.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.a365cd76c2a495e3a6ba967ef22122d0.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.7d8dfa5feadfb487d71e47b3d403df39.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.8aeb4b15210d2a4f03790ac402e0e0e3.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.c914cd3df8383b68730e5188850e4d0a.JPG

Installed the board as per instructions and tips. I connected the male-to male 6' cable to the board and routed it through the armrest extension. I plugged the GLI in so that it was accessible without any future tear-apart, and then connected the GLI to this dock: (http://www.tentechnology.com/products/products_flexibledock.php). When all was said and done, no trips to Radio Shack were required and no extra connectors or couplers were used. The iPod can be connected quickly with one hand (no fumbling with a connector cable each time I get into the car) and it is within quick reach while in the car (see pics).

PolarDog

PolarDog, I really like your install using that ipod dock. A couple questions...

Right where the "arm" of the dock goes through the slot in the arm rest, it looks like some of the "insulation" was removed. Did you have to mod the "arm" of the dock or the slot in the armrest to get it to route through the armrest slot? If so, what did you do and how hard was it to complete? Materials needed?

Does the armrest close completely?

How easy does the IPod install and remove from the dock?

-S

With the boy taking his afternoon nap, I had some time to complete the install. So, I took my time and lucky for me I had no trouble with loosening screws, cables or components.

Now for the Emmy speech: I think any comment of thanks to Jazzy will be grossly understated, but thanks very much Jazzy for your effort and the detail in your work. Thanks for the many other tips in the posts. They were ALL helpful and some were entertaining (going Chuck Norris on the console and going Hogmeat-style.... Man, you cannot buy these types of very useful and accurate descriptions... I wish I could offer some great tip on the install, but as I look back, they were already covered! Thanks again Jazzy and thanks again everyone! (queue the music, go to commercial...)

PolarDog

Polar,

a little off topic, I was wondering if that is the SOA arm rest extension? I ordered it with my legacy and I haven't seen one in person.

Ben

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

You have a keen eye Stringfellow, yes I modified the dock. No modifications to the armrest and, with a slight push down, the armrest closes completely and a bit snuggly (Can I use that word? "Snuggly"?).

The modification to the dock was nothing more than plugging it into the power plug in the armrest and bending the dock so that it (and the iPod) sat in the desired alignment. Then I took a pen and marked the plastic casing along the inner and outer edges of the armrest slot. After removing the dock, I took a razor blade and stripped away the casing and used grey electrical tape to ensure the casing did not unravel any further (highly unlikely even if I didn't use the tape). No fear whatsoever with the dock or any of its internal wires being cut as it seem extremely overbuilt (to borrow a phrase, you can "Chuck Norris" the dock into position). One tip: use the o-ring that comes with the unit (snaps around the edge of the plug that is inserted into the power outlet). Without it, the unit is a bit loose when plugged into the outlet. The flexible metal reminds me of the stuff used for microphones on lecture podiums. Total time was 60 seconds...

The iPod is very easy to get into the docking station. Just slide it in and it locks in place. It is also easy to get out: squeeze two buttons on either side of the docking station and it comes out. The dock can be twisted so that you can still use the cup holders.

Ben: Yes, that is the SOA armrest extension. It has a goofy button on the top that allows the armrest to expand upward a whopping 1 or so inches (personally, I think the Subaru engineers could have done a better job with this, but I am learning to live with it). The placement of the dock does not impede with the operation or movement of the armrest. In fact, when the armrest is up, it kind of hides the iPod, and when the iPod is removed, you can't see the dock at all.

Hope this helps!

PolarDog

Ben: Yes, that is the SOA armrest extension. It has a goofy button on the top that allows the armrest to expand upward a whopping 1 or so inches (personally, I think the Subaru engineers could have done a better job with this, but I am learning to live with it). The placement of the dock does not impede with the operation or movement of the armrest. In fact, when the armrest is up, it kind of hides the iPod, and when the iPod is removed, you can't see the dock at all.

Hope this helps!

PolarDog

Thanks, that helps emensly.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

hey jazzy, I was trying to make a backup copy of the silent cd and twice I got buffer underrun errors. Here's the error message from the 2nd attempt: Write error at 63:42.63 Buffer underrun (code 030C09). What gives? :confused:
I'm not sure why it's freakin out, but you don't need a backup. It's fairly easy to make your own silent cd. I posted a walkthru here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=379369&postcount=381

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Hopefully this hasnt already been answered, but I cant bring myself to read the 24 pages.....

Using this aux-in for my Sirius, I am only getting sound from one side of my y-adapter RCA.

I can plug in

red to red(on Sirius), and get sound

red to white(on Sirius), and get sound

But if I use white on the y-adapter only, I get no sound. Also, if both red and white on the y is plugged in it is softer than just the one line that is sending audio. Hope that makes sence. By the way, I am getting sound out of all my speakers, but they are only coming from one side of my source. Any ideas?

Mkay, let me see if I understand this correctly. Your current setup looks like this:

<SIRIUS (RCA)> - <(RCA) Y-CABLE (3.5mm)> - <(3.5mm) Aux-in Board>

Right? So, if you plug only the red RCA of the Y-cable into your Sirius unit, do you get sound out of all your speakers? If so, either your Y-cable isn't fully plugged into the aux-in board (likely), or it's a mono cable (possible), or it's a defective cable (unlikely).

If that doesn't accurately describe your situation, correct me / explain some more and I'll offer a different hypothesis.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Very close, I have 3.5mm all the way from jazzy board to under my seat, from there I y-cable to a GLI and into the sirius unit. I have tried 2 3.5mm cables, both are stereo (Belkin IPod cable, and RShack gold series stereo). Now, I did notice that neither of these cables would go all the way into the jazzy board and click like I assumed it would. Should I be able to push the 3.5mm all the way in and have it click?

Now, I did notice that neither of these cables would go all the way into the jazzy board and click like I assumed it would. Should I be able to push the 3.5mm all the way in and have it click?
Yes, it should click. The plug should go all the way into the jack so that the seat of the plug is flush with the jack...you shouldn't be able to see any of the plug itself when it's fully inserted.

The jack is very sturdy, but if you happen to break it while trying to seat the plug fully I'll send you a new one, so don't worry about being firm :) I think this is likely the source of your problems now (not being fully inserted).

Great pix PolarDog! I haven't done my install yet and now you've seriously got me thinking about the flexibledock!

Could you do me (and others thinking about the same dock) a favor? I'd like to see pics of how far left and right the iPod can turn when in your setup. With the iPod oriented the way you have it, I think my passenger would get a stiff neck if she wanted to browse music.

Thanks,

Jeff

PolarDog

Hoovman,

Since there is only about an inch of extension after the dock comes out of the armrest, the movement left or right is only valuable in moving it out of the way in case you want to use the cupholders. The dock is ~6" long and I would agree that it could be a bit longer. That said, the dock does rotate (so that the iPod is perpendicular to the ground. I've used it for the last few days and have not had any problems. Further, the Jazzy install does leave the option of unplugging the dock and using another connector (like the Belkin cable). I figured that there would be some tradeoffs either way, and since I have used a cable before, I opted to try the dock solution.... :)

I would post pictures, but the board isn't allowing me to do so just now (I will try again later, or send me a pm...)

PolarDog

I just purchased the Jazzy Aux adapter today, and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I have a professional installer from New York (a friend of mine) helping me with the installation. I am going to be installing the aux-in into a single CD unit and I will post my findings and fortunes when it's completed. I will try to get pics as well. Many thanks to this site for all the help it's been and I wish I could buy a beer for Jazzymt. I'll keep you all posted... Wish me luck.

PolarDog,

Thanks for the great pix! Unfortunately it looks to me like a prescription for a stiff neck. But you helped me make up my mind.

I'm going to go with the retractable cord I found that has a dock connector on one end and a male 3.5mm on the other. It's a little more work to connect, but I think it will be better for my wife and me.

Thanks again!

Subaru offers an external CD changer to the 1CD factory unit. The changer is supposed to be placed under the front passenger seat. I have no clue, if there is any forewiring, but if yes, it should be applicable as an external AUX in.

Any experience on this?

Once again.

I am talking about Subaru Legacy 2.0R, mod. 2006.

Subaru offers an external CD changer to the 1CD factory unit. The changer is supposed to be placed under the front passenger seat. I have no clue, if there is any forewiring, but if yes, it should be applicable as an external AUX in.

Any experience on this?

PolarDog,

Thanks for the great pix! Unfortunately it looks to me like a prescription for a stiff neck. But you helped me make up my mind.

I'm going to go with the retractable cord I found that has a dock connector on one end and a male 3.5mm on the other. It's a little more work to connect, but I think it will be better for my wife and me.

Thanks again!

Hoovman,

Glad I could help.

Just a note on the retractables: I tried the earphone variety from ZipLinq and found that the "catch" ability of the unit wears out quickly. When I extended the cord and released the tension a bit, I expected it to lock-in at a desired length, and it did for a while. After a few weeks, I found myself becoming a yo-yo master and now the cord only locks when the cable is fully extended. Perhaps it's a fluke. In any case, I hope you have more luck than I did.

PolarDog

This weekend I made new instructions for the WRX/Impreza/Outback Sport and changed the Legacy/Outback instructions to reflect that they are specific to those vehicles.

Legacy/Outback Instructions

http://www.jazzyengineering.com/Installation_Manual_1-2.pdf

WRX/Impreza/Outback Sport Instructions

http://www.jazzyengineering.com/Installation_Manual_2-0.pdf

"Sales" have been pretty slow the last 2-3 weeks. With the '07 models coming out with aux-ins built in and current interest waining, I'm not sure if the no-CD version is worth developing anymore. :( I'm not ruling it out yet, but I'm definitely reconsidering. If I do drop work on that, I'm probably going to focus on an HVAC controls replacement instead.

I think I speak for many of us when I say that I would gladly pay for the no-CD version, even after purchasing the first iteration of this board. Perhaps a poll would give you a more definate answer?
A poll is unnecessary. This reminder works. :) I forget that some people may want to "upgrade." I'll keep at it then.