LegacyGT.com

2006 Legacy GT Spec B

My son is 18 and looking to buy his first car. He's fallen in love with this 2006 Legacy GT Spec B.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3810414527.html

The problem is that I cannot seem to find a valid book value for the car and have no idea if this is a fair price.

We drove the car and it seems to be in relatively good shape for a car with 91,000 miles on it.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Seems like a pretty fair price. May be a little high, but being all stock, and having the big maintenance items done (timing belt, water pump, etc.) along with being under 100K I would say its a pretty decent deal. Subies seem to hold a nice high value in CO, so you may be able to find a little better price in bordering states, but you will also see a lot less for sale. Also, if I remember correctly, either KBB or Edmunds did have the option for the Spec B in their pricing, so maybe check one of them out. Good luck!!!

For a stock SpecB, i think its a fair price for the Denver market. SpecB's have become sought after and because they are rare may get a bit more money. Last year i paid 16.5k for an 06 forester, (manual, also a rarer car) but it did have a lot of pricey mods already.

Id say pay 14-16 for it, but not before getting it checked out by a qualified subaru mechanic (id reccomend suba performance).

Good luck!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Per year.

I believe we still don't have a good answer on how many were made during 07-09 ?

Someone has said there are only 3 red 09's, if I recall correctly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Per year.

Only 2006 SpecB's were numbered. While we got shafted on the 6 speed tyranny, we got a better block and don't have TPMS (big win).

The numbers were around 500 per year, but IIRC, 2009 had less then 350/400 made.

OP: 15k is okay for a starting point, but you'd better get him down a few grand before making a deal. Even if it has numbers, it's still an 8 year old car with nearly 100k.

... we got a better block and don't have TPMS (big win).

I'm not sure about the block, but who hates on TPMS? Feel the same about seat belts and safety glass? :lol:

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

I'm not sure about the block, but who hates on TPMS? Feel the same about seat belts and safety glass? :lol:

On the topic of the block, it's possibly suggestive of bias ;). 05/06 got the same block, crank, heads and pistons as the 04/05 STi. IIRC, 07+ got the same specs as the WRX.

On the topic of TPMS; Haters gonna hate and I am right there with them. In Denver, we can have temperature swings of 40 degrees. Hence, in addition to the costs associated with maintaining and replacing TPMS components, to avoid seeing the alarm in winter one has to run nitrogen in the tires. I much prefer my manual gauge that is quite authoritative on my tire pressure. (source: my wife's 08 legacy)

Back on topic:

What it really comes down too is what kind of shape the car is in. As a previous poster pointed out, this is not 100% stock. And yes, probably owned by an enthusiast (could have been the first owner). You can also take a look at this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-2006-spec-b-registry-94937p31.html. SpecB #422 went for 19K with 58K on the odometer this year (New Jersey). If the car checks out, awesome, may be worth the 15K. Best of luck with the decision. If you son gets it, you guys should join us at a local meet.

Just for reference I paid 14 for my 2006 spec B with 81,300 miles on it back in march. It was stock except the catback exhaust and seat bars. 15 seems a little high but the seller seems willing to negotiate which is good. Make sure to do a compression test and if you buy the car and it has the stock uppipe make sure to change to a catless one ASAP. Good luck with the car I love my Spec and I'm sure your son will to.

My son is headed to college as a freshman, about 4.5 hours away from home.

Will this car require much time to maintain? Is it likely to be reliable on the commute back and forth?

I don't want this to be a distraction, especially in his freshman year.

Thanks.

• Moderators
My son is headed to college as a freshman, about 4.5 hours away from home.

Will this car require much time to maintain? Is it likely to be reliable on the commute back and forth?

I don't want this to be a distraction, especially in his freshman year.

Thanks.

*This is not the vehicle you are looking for* Move along...

These cars require a good bit of maintenance usually. I would say that they are reliable when they are maintained well, but they're not hondas--you can't just change the oil every 10k miles and call it a day.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Agree, a 06'ish civic would be a much better choice. Get some good all season tires, and he'll be fine.

Put some good oil in it and drive the thing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My old lady had a 2007 civic before she bought the new accord. Hondas are really cars for students. Hers was simple, reliable and cheap. It was just really boring and I hit my knee on the dash board all the time getting in it. I dare say it felt sharper Around corners then my 2002 wrx

As you might imagine, he's not interested in a Honda.

I want him to have 4WD as he will be traveling back and forth over Vail pass to go to school.

I'm trying to talk him into a 4Runner or other SUV without much success.

Archived